Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Post by Jackie Brown »

Lowry has to be our first choice 10 going forward.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

If he isn't it shows our setup is content with mediocrity
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The fact is Alby over kicked in the second half to players who were being shielded behind a wall of blockers which ensured that the catch was uncontested this also reduced Burns ability to control or vary the game at out half .

Basically in controlling the game at scrum half the scrum half has only 3 options feed a ball carrying forward, feed the out half or box kick every other kick is not an option for the scrum half the fact is that 99% of Box kicks are telegraphed and the defence is prepared accordingly.

Unfortunately it was not a game for McIlroy his inexperience was exploited and exposed -- last try inside his own 22 backs off the attacking centre providing too much room and shorter run in for the winger that mistake excluded he tried and held up well against what was a concerted and direct attempt to exploit his youth.

Basically go for the man with ball and force him to pass under pressure backing off ensures a try .

Personally I would have started Lowry at full back with Stockade on the wing.

There is no doubt that Hume and McIlroy have benefitted from the experienced gain this season but I do believe the Ulster Backline would have been more effective with Marshall and Addison

Personally I can't see how a directed stiff arm can be judged accidental while its effect may have been more than intended the arm was not there to play the ball.

I notice that those who sung the praises of Ian Humphries now sing the praises of Lowry to out half in drawing attention to that fact I do recognise Lowry has a great deal more to offer than Ian and is a more versatile player but I have serious doubts as to his suitability for out half in the professional game.

Foot note Timoney's try was the product of the role Diack should have been given" a ball carrying 8 fed by the inside centre . Timoney like Diack is not a go to first receiver but a player with sufficient speed to exploit a gap .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

SID, SID, SID.....there isn’t any in the pack.

In particular we simply do not have a competing top level euro pack, we have next to no capacity to deal with injuries.

EOS has done a ridiculous job at LH, I can’t believe McGrath has played so little - I hope he comes back soon, but Reid’s development can’t come soon enough. We’ll end up breaking EOS otherwise.

Izzys injury is incredibly unfortunate - a raw talent, but the athleticism potentially to be a serious operator. I am not apportioning blame but Carter has been so disappointing.

Coetzees injury has shown how threadbare the backrow is - high workrate but lack of power. I’m more than happy to give Nakawara a fair go - but we are a BR recruit short IQ or otherwise. The hole is obvious and frankly damning.

Add McGrath, Carter, Coetzee last night- that’s a very Decent pack....but never to be.

The over kicking (box rather than territory, which seems to be an Irish plague) killed us, the Leicester fullback fielded well - there was no plan B.....but that’s another conversation.

I feel really sorry for all involved, frankly I’d give as many time off as possible and blood as many viable pups as possible in the rainbow cup. This defeat is really gonna hurt.

The concern for me is that next season we arguably have a weaker squad. COVID has no doubt hit the finances with recruitment.

Genuinely if I was at the IRFU then last night would worry me, it does nothing to assist the National side. Potentially we could be 2/3 yrs off a academy generated pack. Dans trying to do a job with one hand tied behind his back.

Might give off the ball Rugby a miss next week....Leinster centric obnoxious banker at the best of times.

We need to stick with the lads :red:
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Really disappointing .. its been a crap season overall- hopefully just a dip the previous two years had seen such improvement. But that second half after we lost Cooney- so frustrating to see us stop playing.
McFarland has said he plans to use the Rainbow Cup to develop more players- Tom Stewart, Callum Reid, McCann, Rea Jr, Doak and maybe Sexton hopefully will get significant game time. If those guys develop and Izzy comes back from his injury as strong as he finished[and possibly one or two others appear] it might not be so grim. Hume I thought has really matured, McIlroy looks really good and Lowry is making a case for the 10 jersey but we need to add to those players big time, proper depth with strong options is the only way we'll get anywhere.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Starting to warm to Hume, I thought he was excellent yesterday.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

On reflection this year has been a good learning curve for many of the young guys without the pressure of full stadiums etc. Throw in the 16th man for next season and I can see a fortress ravenhill arising again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Jackie Brown wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 am Starting to warm to Hume, I thought he was excellent yesterday.

yeo, he was. Some excellent tackles , and difficult to stop when he has the ball
Was McIlroy at one point tackled in the air, forearm to side of the head, and without the ball? Is that one red card, or three?!!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Bobbievee wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:46 am
Jackie Brown wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 am Starting to warm to Hume, I thought he was excellent yesterday.

yeo, he was. Some excellent tackles , and difficult to stop when he has the ball
Was McIlroy at one point tackled in the air, forearm to side of the head, and without the ball? Is that one red card, or three?!!
That was a worse challenge than the one on Cooney.

Certainly has not been a crap season. 14 wins out of 16 in the league ffs. Loads of away wins. Game time for plenty of young players. Bobby B and Addison coming back after nasty injuries.

Hugely frustrating though cos we could and possibly should have won the games that got away.

We’re clearly a couple of forwards short and Jack’s op may well keep him out until after Christmas. Let’s hope Leo is in the gym right this minute.

Won’t be easy for the lads to pick themselves up after last night. Stu looked gutted.

Give them a break and we can all come back in September.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Probably our 13 for the most of the next decade, barring a major injury.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My take on McIlroy reasonable player but at the moment he is not going to win games for you lacks something exactly what it is is hard to identify because he ticks many boxes the sum of the parts falls short. Balacoune comes in to the side and you know there is something there which gives you the sense the guy is capable of making a try out of nothing.

Unfortunately Stockdale has been coached into tunnel vision -- run until tackled -- he once had more than that to offer.An awareness of options which frightened the opposition.

bar the lack of Jackson Ulster have a backline in the making( if Lowry can stay injury free -- and in my opinion that is a big if ) the forwards have a couple coming up but Ulster need about 3 more back row forwards with savvy and power and couple of heavy ball carrying props would be a bonus.

Ulsters problem last night was after Cooney went off Alby didn't seem to know the phased feeds. Cooney knew who was to take the ball on phase 3 and 4 -- Ably didn't and therefore the forwards never achieved the momentum they had in the first half and Alby was kicking on phase 3 instead of feeding the forwards.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

had to listen to the match on the radio. Anywhere online to watch a recording?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Essentially Lowry was dropped for McIlory. With Stockdale played out of position to accommodate this. I will never understand why. A mistake by Dan. Lowry is my player of the season to date. Still puzzled by his omission.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Lowry and Addison on the bench appeared like an error before we started, at the end of the day sounds like we lost the game at scrum half and in the forwards (and Addison's mistake to be fair). Wish I'd actually seen the match to make more comments on the more controversial incidents.
Grey Wolf
Novice

Post by Grey Wolf »

That’s fair. McIlroy played well I thought (as did Rea). I’m assuming Addison on the bench was a match fitness issue; before this game he’s only played 30 odd mins in 15 months.

Lowry on the bench was a strange one. Definitely didn’t have his best game against Saints, but I wonder if there’s more to Stockdale playing at fullback for the past 2 games. Would think it’s unlikely, but is there a chance he’s been considered by Gatland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk