Ulster in the Challenge Cup

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Quins game in the bic biro

Post by BR »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:02 pm I suspect we will be playing a first 15 next week which will be more of a test. This victory didn’t really tell us anything!
I think we probably learned more from the Dragons Northampton game. For me it was that Northampton are very beatable. Discipline will be key, but a well drilled, speedy defence should be able to contain their backs. At the same time their defence can be stretched allowing for clean breaks by talented backs. Forward battle could be tighter, but with the right refereeing interpretations, they will be liable to concede turnovers.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Quins clearly showing an unhealthy disrespect for the competition and taking advantage of the covid situation and the absence of fans. .would they have dared put out this team in front of paying spectators.?
Hopefully just an outcome of the crazily congested schedule at the end of this season which the authorities should not have overseen just to satisfy tv contracts.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

We at Ulster talk about a lack of SiD but that game showed that it present in the English premiership and to be honest I have seen Ulster send out weaken sides who performed much better than Quins.

For all the sparkle present in the Ulster backs -- they failed to perform -- for some obvious reasons Ulster were trying to put the ball as wide as possible to the wings to quickly -- lobbed passes to both standing still waiting for the ball and getting ball and man .

Neither out half Madigan or Burns has the best of games --Burns to predictable and Madigan to erratic -- passes to imaginary teammates --- against better opposition and in tighter games match losing stuff .

The scoreline was built on a solid 5 metre line out maul to which Quins had no answer --- the Saints will have watched and maybe learnt .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Well Saints have a meaty pack when all fit, and a lot of talented backs, but a porous defence. Either way, we need a clean bill of health, and Henderson back. Saints are 5th in the league 4 Pts adrift of Quins with their next game 6 days after the QF against LI who are a pt behind them.

They have a few injury issues but I’d imagine they’d go fully loaded at home in a qf, surely.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:22 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:02 pm I suspect we will be playing a first 15 next week which will be more of a test. This victory didn’t really tell us anything!
I think we probably learned more from the Dragons Northampton game. For me it was that Northampton are very beatable. Discipline will be key, but a well drilled, speedy defence should be able to contain their backs. At the same time their defence can be stretched allowing for clean breaks by talented backs. Forward battle could be tighter, but with the right refereeing interpretations, they will be liable to concede turnovers.
I'm not so sure Saints will put out a full side. However if they play the same 23 as this week, they will be the better for having a game behind them. It's going to be a much bigger task than this week.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I hope it's a full strength Saints side. This Ulster side needs a decent contest.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'd rather we had a solid win against a mixed Saints 23.
Winning a trophy would be a massive thing for this team. Despite what Dan says there's a big ole monkey on our back.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Thankfully Dan doesn't believe in such mumbo jumbo. We haven't won a trophy because we haven't been good enough. This is the first time we have been in a competition with a realistic opportunity. Dan knows you don't obsess over the past or what hasn't happened. They must look forward to new opportunities.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I'm a bit worried about our defence, especially against a maul. No quibbles with eight tries but a pity to leak three against such a weak team.

Any word on Izzy yet?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:I'm a bit worried about our defence, especially against a maul. No quibbles with eight tries but a pity to leak three against such a weak team.

Any word on Izzy yet?
Dan said it doesn't look great but I suppose they will need to get him scanned for a proper assessment. Once a team is camped on our line they always seem destined to score. Seems to be an issue.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:06 pm
solidarity wrote:I'm a bit worried about our defence, especially against a maul. No quibbles with eight tries but a pity to leak three against such a weak team.

Any word on Izzy yet?
Dan said it doesn't look great but I suppose they will need to get him scanned for a proper assessment. Once a team is camped on our line they always seem destined to score. Seems to be an issue.
That's the sloppyness I was referring to earlier. We need to be more ruthless and not let teams score. It's almost as if when the victory is assured they allow the opposition in so that they can get the ball back and score again. I'm not saying it's a conscious decision, but I don't like it.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Any word on Izzy yet?
That's the sloppyness I was referring to earlier. We need to be more ruthless and not let teams score. It's almost as if when the victory is assured they allow the opposition in so that they can get the ball back and score again. I'm not saying it's a conscious decision, but I don't like it.
The Ulster line speed seemed to drop off throughout the game. I think the issue with defending 5m is a lack of power without Hendy and Marcell. You could retrace the issue of how they got that far up the pitch in the first place. Needless penalties being one.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 am You could retrace the issue of how they got that far up the pitch in the first place. Needless penalties being one.
Good point Dave
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

I’m glad you learnt something, I’m not sure I did.

We had a ridiculously young side out, 21 year old lock, 21 year old flanker, 21 year old winger, 22 & 23 year old centres, halfbacks of 22 & 23 etc etc. I have no idea how many of the senior players were injured or rested. I have no idea who’ll be back fit or not available. But a side without Lawes, Biggar, Francis, Ribbans, Proctor, Wood etc etc had the desire to keep fighting back from a very one sided scoreboard to snatch a victory away from home.

I hope we can put out a side that can compete and give you a decent game, you’ll win handsomely if we can’t.
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

StKenneth wrote:
I’m glad you learnt something, I’m not sure I did.

We had a ridiculously young side out, 21 year old lock, 21 year old flanker, 21 year old winger, 22 & 23 year old centres, halfbacks of 22 & 23 etc etc. I have no idea how many of the senior players were injured or rested. I have no idea who’ll be back fit or not available. But a side without Lawes, Biggar, Francis, Ribbans, Proctor, Wood etc etc had the desire to keep fighting back from a very one sided scoreboard to snatch a victory away from home.

I hope we can put out a side that can compete and give you a decent game, you’ll win handsomely if we can’t.
It's a tough break for you guys as the Pro 14 decided to end the season so it will definitely be full strength from us. Our second row stocks are wearing thin and Coetzee is ruled out so if you have decent pack on the field you have every chance. We don't have any strength in depth in the pack. I had Saints and Quins as the teams to beat in this competition but Quins certainly did us a favour with that selection.