Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Post Reply
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6238
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Neill_M » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Izuchukwu having scan tomorrow. Henderson being monitored. No other injury news.

As per other thread, the ref is Mr Ruiz 🇫🇷 who did Dragons v Saints at weekend.

I read on the twittersphere that Ulster have won 6/7 European games when he was the ref.

User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 23204
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Snipe Watson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 pm

Neill_M wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

I read on the twittersphere that Ulster have won 6/7 European games when he was the ref.
Keep 15 on the field and we're golden.

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 14159
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:18 pm

Snipe Watson wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 pm
Neill_M wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

I read on the twittersphere that Ulster have won 6/7 European games when he was the ref.
Keep 15 on the field and we're golden.
nat anuther new kit! :roll: :duh:
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Big Nose
Novice
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: Beside myself

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Big Nose » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Neill_M wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:55 pm

I read on the twittersphere that Ulster have won 6/7 European games when he was the ref.
Gloucester v Ulster - Dec 2020 :shock:

Bobbievee
Initiate
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Bobbievee » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 pm

But that was Ulster giving the ball up in completely unnecessarily in Gloucester 22 on 78minutes , then giving a scrum penalty, and then unable to stop the rolling maul. Hardly the refs fault!

User avatar
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 14159
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Cap'n Grumpy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:01 am

Bobbievee wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:43 pm
But that was Ulster giving the ball up in completely unnecessarily in Gloucester 22 on 78minutes , then giving a scrum penalty, and then unable to stop the rolling maul. Hardly the refs fault!
But . . . but . . . but . . .

. . . it's always the referee's fault. :duh:

Have ya learned nathin' from this forum? :roll:

He could have declined to give the scrum penalty.

Better still. he could have given Ulster that scrum penalty.

He could have chosen not to give a couple of yella cards earlier in the game (thus increasing our chances of being farther ahead after 83-84 minutes)

He might have yellow carded more Glaws players earlier - see above

He could have given any number of other decisions that would have helped Ulster - what in heaven's name did he think he was on the pitch for? Not to be unbiased, Shirley?

Of course it was the referee's fault.

At least he has this shot at redemption not to let it happen again - I hope he realises that. :shock:
Sadly the days of people using proper English are went

User avatar
Big Nose
Novice
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: Beside myself

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Big Nose » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:18 am

Ulster are never offside too...

Ulster threw that game away at the end but the refereeing was terrible - he ran around the pitch and the tmo made the calls. The players didn't seem to know what to make of him.

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3597
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Bart S » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Blew it big time against Glaws.

I still have nightmares about Matty Rea charging like a bull at top speed to take a pass when a couple more short passes in the forwards would have done the trick.

justinr73
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by justinr73 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm

Could prove to be the knock on that led to the first silverware in 15 years, subsequent world domination and a knighthood for Dan.....

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20957
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Not a chance we would have beaten LaRochelle so you have to make the best of it. Matty Rea got a fair bit of flack for that knock on but I still think it was for Cooney to control that situation.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3597
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Bart S » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm

justinr73 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
Could prove to be the knock on that led to the first silverware in 15 years, subsequent world domination and a knighthood for Dan.....
I could well be wrong but I can't think of any team bar Leinster in the last 10-15 years who have won this and then gone on to win either their domestic league or the champions cup. And with Leinster it was an aberration that season.

HighlandRed
Novice
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:38 am

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by HighlandRed » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm

If we get to the final or even win it I'll be fair chuffed. Makes a change from facing Leinster and being disappointed.

A final of any knock out competition is an achievement in itself.

justinr73
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by justinr73 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Bart S wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm
justinr73 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
Could prove to be the knock on that led to the first silverware in 15 years, subsequent world domination and a knighthood for Dan.....
I could well be wrong but I can't think of any team bar Leinster in the last 10-15 years who have won this and then gone on to win either their domestic league or the champions cup. And with Leinster it was an aberration that season.
It’s not done Bristol any harm this year.

Bart S
Chancellor to the King
Posts: 3597
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Bart S » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm

justinr73 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm
Bart S wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm
justinr73 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:28 pm
Could prove to be the knock on that led to the first silverware in 15 years, subsequent world domination and a knighthood for Dan.....
I could well be wrong but I can't think of any team bar Leinster in the last 10-15 years who have won this and then gone on to win either their domestic league or the champions cup. And with Leinster it was an aberration that season.
It’s not done Bristol any harm this year.
They havent won anything yet and that's the charge which seems to be levelled at Ulster. And as I say, not many other winners have either bar Leinster.

Of course I want Ulster to win it but this "monkey off the back" stuff is way OTT when the competition is one which Ulster were too good to qualify for previously and involves beating 2nd string english teams.

I am pretty sure the ulster team of 2012/2013 would have broken the trophy drought already if they had played in this competition.

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20957
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Unless winning this comp can fund 3/4 injury proof forwards I don’t see how it will set Ulster on a course for bigger prizes. To eat at the top table in the heiny you will need a budget of 30 million plus without NIQ restrictions. Or else 10+ private schools, heavily resourced for rugby, filtering talent on a plate to your Academy. Ulster will never have either.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Post Reply