Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Saints v Ulster QF Saturday 8pm KO BT Sport 2

Post by BR »

d4surfer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:56 pm Any preference for the semi?
Pubs will be open in England and grounds at 25% capacity afaik
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:54 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:12 pm
justinr73 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:58 pm Yellows possibly clouded the issue in the first half.
While we didn't take advantage at the time, I think the physical effort for saints from that period told in the end.
I dunno. Three of them got a ten minute breather and eight of them got subbed off.
And those three had to consider their position and possibly play within themselves for the remainder of the match because a "team" yellow card could easily have resulted in a red card for any of them if they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The number of substitutes is exactly the same as happens for most sides in most matches, but it also means there were a number of players still on the park at the end who were playing on empty, and that might have been down to the efforts they had to put in to compensate for being down in numbers earlier in the game.

I was a little surprised, but perhaps shouldn't have been by one of Dan's comments afterwards which was (and I paraphrase) that they were concerned about Ulster lasting the full 80 minutes and still being able to raise their game when needed near the end. That was based on the fact that in so many matches this season we haven't needed to play that way as we have been winning most matches so easily and not been under pressure much in the last 10-15 minutes. It's a testament to the players and the coaching staff that they were able to pull that performance out of the bag having been less well prepared for it than might have been the case in seasons past.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:24 am
Suspect though that tickets will only be available to home fans, which is a pity.

If so, it brings us back to home advantage meaning something again, even if not quite at the same levels as a full stadium
I'm not arguing -
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:05 am
Suspect though that tickets will only be available to home fans, which is a pity.

If so, it brings us back to home advantage meaning something again, even if not quite at the same levels as a full stadium
I think this is only effective from 17th may in england and therefore would only impact the final.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

So what are the chances of our executive allowing spectators again come May, if we are lucky enough to get a home semi.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

My take on the 80 minute capacity of Ulster would be :-

Ulster's scoring potential was on the wing and the attacking flair was the back three -- players who normally can play a full 90 minutes and be as capable of scoring in the 80th minute as the first five.

The Saints defence on the other hand was based on their back row and cover across the pitch -- in the latter stages of a game the back row may lose pace giving a possibility of a gap and opportunity to players out wide .

it is the strength Ulster have on the wing which makes them dangerous for the full 80 minutes.

Forwards especially big forwards can and do run out of stamina which is why front rows are subbed between 50 -60 minutes but usually you can only sub one back row or second row thus the back 5 can be under powered in the latter stages.

For me the first yellow could easily have been a red -- it was deliberate "in the ribs late body check -- done to hurt and maim -- thus dangerous. A later tackle can rattle an out half enough without the necessity to hurt or maim.

To me it was a deliberate dangerous late body check and worthy of a red.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Interesting interpretation of "maim"! :roll:

If an Ulster player had received red for something similar, you'd be livid Rum. :duh:

It was worthy of a yellow card - nothing more, nothing less.
I'm not arguing -