Saracens v Ulster Thursday 5pm Saracens Website

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Saracens v Ulster Thursday 5pm Saracens Website

Post by Dave »

I quite like the gold kit. Better than Munster red ffs. Or that bluey turquoise shyte. Don't get me started on purple. Christ.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:35 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:38 pm You would worry for Saracens. They could go straight back down.
No relegation in Premiership this season coming, going to 14 sides for 22/23 assuming Ealing win the Championship and their facilities get the green light.

Saracens play Bristol in Week 1 next weekend, will be interesting to see how they fare.

Good win for Ulster, but it is a pre-season game, so will get better idea where they are at v Glasgow in 2 weeks.

New yellow/saffron kit is a bold one v the normal black/red one etc. Similar colour to one of the training t-shirts available. Some Ulster fans on FB not happy with the use of the yellow re the provincial flag #fleggate.
Nat happy because it doesn't represent are wee c.untry :roll:

Saffron is a new take. Should go down well at Casement, but gold, red, and white is certified by the British Fleg Institute, in agreement with Vexillology Ireland
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Lowry had a great game and I think the new style will really suit him. The most promising thing was we seemed to have a plan no matter what part of the pitch we were in and didn't lose patience. Scoring off phase play in the opposition 22 has been a big problem for several years but today was a good step in the right direction.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Vexillology. Had to look tht one up. This place is a real education.

Yes, I thought Lowry had a good game as well. Is he being groomed as our new 10?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Just Finished watching game on U tube

A better performance than last week with a stronger midfield although Saracens were playing a conservative game kicking possession away more often than last week in the first half .

I wouldn't write saracens off on that performance nor would I consider Ulster to be world beaters .My opinion is that last weeks performance by Saracens is much closer to their potential .

It also helps if you don't have an anti- Ulster referee who makes up the laws to achieve his aims.

It is hard to identify the Ulster starting 15 next week or the sort of game Ulster will play friendlies tend to be throw-abouts and played at a faster pace than a competitive game which tends to be more conservative in approach.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Massively impressed with Marcus Rea. Great carrying work and a force at the breakdown. Hope to see him and the likes of McCann getting some more minutes in the league.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm Lowry had a great game and I think the new style will really suit him. The most promising thing was we seemed to have a plan no matter what part of the pitch we were in and didn't lose patience. Scoring off phase play in the opposition 22 has been a big problem for several years but today was a good step in the right direction.
Yes, Lowry was definitely lively. I thought he individually was better at 10 but the team looked better with Burns at 10 and him at 15. Wasn't Gilroy's first try down to him delaying choosing which side of the ruck to play off then popping up for a quick pass out the back door from Burns that created the 1 on 1 for Gilroy. It was very nicely done - that was my pick of the tries. Although I'm a fan of him his kicking isn't his strongest suit and I noticed he delegated place kicking duties for much of the second half, none of which we actually scored. That would be a worry in a real game because you need an accurate place kicker in the team with a 40m range.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:15 am Massively impressed with Marcus Rea. Great carrying work and a force at the breakdown. Hope to see him and the likes of McCann getting some more minutes in the league.
Yeah totally agree with you there - thought he looked good last season when he got his chances- maybe our replacement for Henry?
Thought the whole team looked great- the speed of ball and the accuracy impressed me - we moved the ball around a lot which I think gave Sarries a bit of trouble. Great to see Gilroy look so sharp in this game and the last - hope he's back on form again. I worried we might fall away when some of the changes where made -like Cooney going off and Reidy going off but they kept it upon keeping them try-less was impressive [although Sarries seem to make a lot of uncharacteristic errors]. Still a lot of guys performed well and I was not expecting that result -especially away from home.

Agree on hating the purple away kit -it was awful. The gold/saffron one is much better and I like how it ties in with the Provences' heritage - hope they stick with those colours for a while..

And Rum - on your point about speed - its my understanding that that is what we are going for - a fast play style- it seems to suit our player pool and they did it so well yesterday. Loved how they attacked getting the ball wide and moving the point of attack around. Really good distribution helped by having Lowry/Curtis/Hume/Moore and McIlroy(?) in the midfield.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

You have missed the point I was trying to make in Friendlies the ball is passed more often in situations where in a competitive match the ball would be kicked == because passing in some situations is high risk tactics.

In the first game Saracens passed the ball more -- a high risk game -- which paid dividends in the score line ( enhanced by a one eyed referee ) , in the second game the ball was passed less frequently , a conservative game which reduced their ability to score but possibly more in line with their approach to a competitive match .

Also absent was the double dummy / block running in the midfield == having practiced it the week before -- it was a tactic not exploited for fear of over exposure .

Saracens are a team coached by McCall ,who like the former Irish coach, develops the match winning play for low scoring games .

Last nights game was -- what was -- a friendly -- a good run out - to get match fit and focused nothing more nothing less .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Great news! Rugby can do without the Nigel Wrays of this world, the less control he has the better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58772000
Saracens have agreed a £32m takeover deal with a consortium of investors that includes South African World Cup-winning former captain Francois Pienaar.

The group will acquire a majority controlling stake in the club.

Nigel Wray, the club's owner for 26 years, retains "a significant minority shareholding, albeit a passive one", a club statement said.

Chairman Neil Golding and chief executive Lucy Wray will remain.

Pienaar, who led the Springboks to victory at the 1995 World Cup, made 44 appearances as a player-coach for Saracens.

Marco V. Masotti, the owner of South Africa's Sharks rugby team, is also part of the six-person consortium.

Saracens say the money brought in by the investors will help the club "maintain their position at the top of the men's game".

Saracens were given a 35-point deduction and £5.36m fine in 2019 for breaching the league's salary caps.

They were subsequently relegated from the Premiership at the end of the 2019-20 season, but won promotion back in the next season.

"I have given my heart and soul to the club for more than two decades, having chaired Saracens since the first days of professionalism," Nigel Wray said.

"Sadly, I'm not getting any younger and I have always wanted to make sure that Saracens is in very safe hands for many future generations."

Former England and Saracens women's player Maggie Alphonsi has been added to the club's board.

Michael Yormark, president of sports management agency Roc Nation Sports International, has also been named as a special adviser.

A club statement said the investment would be used for a number of improvements at the club, including redeveloping the West Stand, further investing in women's sport and creating a high performance training centre.

"I am thrilled to hand over control to the consortium which comprises people who I know well and who understand the culture we've been able to create over more than 20 years both on and off the field," Wray added.

"I am looking forward to becoming just a fan again and supporting the club I love."
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

All that cheating and they keep their titles.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Marco V. Masotti, the owner of South Africa's Sharks rugby team, is also part of the six-person consortium.
This could have consequences for any proposed South African involvement in Heineken Cup?

I don't believe you can have stakes in two teams.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

solidarity wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:00 pm Vexillology. Had to look tht one up. This place is a real education.
You never have Fun with Flags . . . . I mean, FLEGS before? :D
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

For a bloke with brains to burn, he can't even spell 'flegs'! :duh: :duh: :duh:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:16 pm
This could have consequences for any proposed South African involvement in Heineken Cup?

I don't believe you can have stakes in two teams.
The IRFU do :duck:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk