Ulster v Glasgow Fri Sept 24th 7:35pm KO Prem Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Glasgow Fri Sept 24th 7:35pm KO Prem Sports

Post by Setanta »

Agreed.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Glasgow's defensive lineout was superb. Ryan Wilson is an absolute nightmare and successfully targeted Brad although his energy in the loose was great. Our maul defence looked fractured and the breakdown clearing was below standard. Jones lacks the physical presence needed at 6. Too many missed tackles and poor accuracy.
Doak looked like the future and needs to get game time.
Plenty to work on, but 5 points aren't to be sniffed at.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:07 am Not sure what law the referee applied to allow the Glasgow try and a yellow card to Hume
Law 14
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Sam Carter anyone......
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:33 pm Sam Carter anyone......
Not great
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

How was law 14 infringed the Glasgow player was in the process of attempting to ground the ball in the in goal area .
Hume was legally allowed to prevent the grounding of the ball

His attempt to prevent that occurring was two fold firstly ensure the Glasgow player was in touch before grounding and secondly to get under the ball to prevent grounding both are legally permitted.

If it was a tackle then if the Glasgow player couldn’t legally ground the ball because he hadn’t released the ball after the tackle before crossing the line
Of course the law is a bit of an ass in that if applied as written no tackled player could actually score once tackled because he must release the ball after the tackle .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:58 pm How was law 14 infringed the Glasgow player was in the process of attempting to ground the ball in the in goal area .

His attempt to prevent that occurring was two fold firstly ensure the Glasgow player was in touch before grounding and secondly to get under the ball to prevent grounding both are legally permitted.

If it was a tackle then if the Glasgow player couldn’t legally ground the ball because he hadn’t released the ball after the tackle before crossing the line
Of course the law is a bit of an ass in that if applied as written no tackled player could actually score once tackled because he must release the ball after the tackle .
:banghead:

Yes, Hume was legally allowed to prevent the grounding of the ball - but he must do it in a legal manner - he didn't!

yes, getting the player into touch and getting under the ball to prevent grounding are legally permitted - but again, there are legal and illegal ways of doing that. What Hume did was not legal.

and yes, the Glasgow player could legally ground the ball, as specified in Law 8, par 2d, and almost certainly would have done so but for the illegal actions of Hume, ergo PT & YC.

Had it been an Ulster player that was illegally bundled into touch to prevent an Ulster try, I think most on here would rightly been looking for a YC and PT. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:46 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:33 pm Sam Carter anyone......
Not great
That's being very kind Snipe :lol:
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Was Carter injured or taken off for his performance?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:54 am
rumncoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:58 pm How was law 14 infringed the Glasgow player was in the process of attempting to ground the ball in the in goal area .

:banghead:

Yes, Hume was legally allowed to prevent the grounding of the ball - but he must do it in a legal manner - he didn't!

yes, getting the player into touch and getting under the ball to prevent grounding are legally permitted - but again, there are legal and illegal ways of doing that. What Hume did was not legal.

and yes, the Glasgow player could legally ground the ball, as specified in Law 8, par 2d, and almost certainly would have done so but for the illegal actions of Hume, ergo PT & YC.

Had it been an Ulster player that was illegally bundled into touch to prevent an Ulster try, I think most on here would rightly been looking for a YC and PT. :roll:
Not convinced Hume has any rights to try and get the player into touch in that situation. He has a right to go for the ball, but only from onside and on his feet.

So to the answer the question repeatedly being asked about what is he supposed to do. Nothing he got there too late. The try was effectively already scored.

Rumn look at Law 14 and tell me Hume did not break 14.8b and c

8. Other players must:

a. Remain on their feet and release the ball and the ball-carrier immediately.

b. Remain on their feet when they play the ball.

c. Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.

d. Not play the ball or attempt to tackle an opponent while on the ground near the tackle.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:04 pm Was Carter injured or taken off for his performance?
I missed his performance.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Rumn you know that a tackled player is specifically allowed to place the ball in any direction?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

The only option Hume could of had to prevent try would have been to try and hold the ball up when the Glasgow player went to place it.

Without seeing a replay (from memory) I think he would have gotten there in time to attempt that.

Was there a possible red with contact to head?

Similar to this in Top 14
https://youtu.be/FBQHCQpCzEU
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

How were the bars in other sections of the stadium? I was in the memorial stand and had to go down to the terrace then out the far side by the big screen then round to queue at the bar from the food village entrance. Then it was the whole way back again to seats. Bit of a cludge.

It would have been handier to allow access back into the stand from the bar to achieve a full one way system.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The Backline bar wasn’t open, contrary to the information provided beforehand.

Still, Mrs justinr73 enjoys a walk.