Vermeulen

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Re: Vermeulen

Post by solidarity »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:06 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 pm Unbelievable, up there with Pienaar, Dewey and Muller. Well done Bryn.
And let's not forget Charlie P! Some of the most exciting moments ever seen at Ravers

And stillt turning it on for Bristol this evening!!
If we're having a wee detour, Ruan was obviously the number one Saffer at Ulster, but I've a soft spot for the cameo from Stefan Terblanche in 2011. Yes, it was a decade ago! :shock: :shock:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 pm
Bayern wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Marco wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:38 pm He's the dogs bollix all right. We've been here before of course, but I've always felt that Brad Thorne was the single biggest transitional signing that elevated Leinster from pretenders to contenders, so lets hope there is the same chemistry with Duane and the team as that, personally feel he has more versatility than Coetzee. Respect must go to management for this and for keeping it under the radar.

As an aside, the Leinster and Connacht women could be forgiven for asking are they not worth a decent clean changing facility for, guessing, ten percent of Duane's signing on fee (not complaining as an Ulsterman but just remarking)!
You realize Leinster had won two heineken cups before thorne came in as a injury cover for 5 months? :lol:
Think you've mixed up Rocky Elsom and Brad Thorne, you're 100% right though Marco :thumleft: , it sometimes just takes that key player to get a team over the line.
Elsom was the only player that I ever saw, at any level, make Ferris look average.
Thorne was the king of longevity. If Vermeulen can combine those two characteristics, he'll be brilliant.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

solidarity wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm
Bobbievee wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:06 pm
Jackie Brown wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:34 pm Unbelievable, up there with Pienaar, Dewey and Muller. Well done Bryn.
And let's not forget Charlie P! Some of the most exciting moments ever seen at Ravers

And stillt turning it on for Bristol this evening!!
If we're having a wee detour, Ruan was obviously the number one Saffer at Ulster, but I've a soft spot for the cameo from Stefan Terblanche in 2011. Yes, it was a decade ago! :shock: :shock:
Have to agree with you there Solids! Terblanche was a real gem - even though he only played 15 games for us he gave 100% in every single one. Supremely fit and exceptionally skilful and he was 35 at the time! A real gent off the pitch too - he said he would love to have stayed or come back to Ulster.
Hard to believe it was 10 years ago!!
Hope is not a strategy.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Don't worry your man only likes the young ones. Weirdo. He poo poos anything positive for Ulster.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

[/quote]

Have to agree with you there Solids! Terblanche was a real gem - even though he only played 15 games for us he gave 100% in every single one. Supremely fit and exceptionally skilful and he was 35 at the time! A real gent off the pitch too - he said he would love to have stayed or come back to Ulster.
Hard to believe it was 10 years ago!!
[/quote]

Apropos of ten years ago ( well 9 and a half really ) and Saffer back rowers, have we all forgotten poor old Pedrie Wannenburg?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

P3 was a warrior. Not forgotten at all.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

lovesthehardground wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:31 pm Late to post but I'm not too sure why everyone is so upbeat about this signing. He's 35, has an injury record and doesn't arrive until the end of November. There's a big risk he'll get injured again in the autumn internationals. Too much of a chance he'll join our growing list of injured signings, get insurance payments for a year and the bugger back to SA. Sorry, I hope I'm proved wrong but................
Agree. Can't get excited about this signing. Too risky. Another potential sicknote like Addison and Payne. I hope that Ulster Rugby isn't seen as a soft touch retirement home for fading reputations.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Yea the guy is 35 and keeping Marvell out of the Boks so he must be a poor signing. What a load of rubbish.
Yes Addison has a history of injuries but still can light up a game.
As for Jared we have more than had our moneys worth out of him as a player and in his role as a coach. He didn’t come to Ulster to boost his pension and Ireland were more than happy to snap him up. The only complaint I have with his Ireland career was that they played him in the centre and not at fullback where his full potential as a footballer lay.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

I think you need to look at the game time actually played for Ulster by Addison and Payne. As to Vermeulen-we'll see how much he plays.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:40 am I think you need to look at the game time actually played for Ulster by Addison and Payne. As to Vermeulen-we'll see how much he plays.
Would our squad be better with or without Vermeulen?
It's simple, he'll add value on a number of levels. Being 35 is only a problem if his game has dropped off and there are no signs of that happening.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

The problem with being an older player is the length of time taken to recover from knocks and injuries and accordingly how much time will be actually played in significant matches.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Snipe's asking the right question, 'Would our squad be better with or without Vermeulen?' The answer's pretty clear.
Will young back row talent be held back by his presence or moved on by his example?
Big Duane gets my vote.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Oops, forgot.
I was a big fan of Pedrie as well.
germcevoy
Initiate

Post by germcevoy »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm The problem with being an older player is the length of time taken to recover from knocks and injuries and accordingly how much time will be actually played in significant matches.
Point taken but his injury profile can’t be any worse than Marcels.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

for dog and ulcer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm The problem with being an older player is the length of time taken to recover from knocks and injuries and accordingly how much time will be actually played in significant matches.
Timoney and McCann will need proper game time. So wheeling out the big man for 60 minutes every week would be an injudicious and shortsighted use of a valuable asset.