Beeb Best Bowe

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

armalig
Novice

Beeb Best Bowe

Post by armalig »

Well whats your thoughts on new Alster Rugby programme?

Very relaxed format , conversational style ... Enjoyed it.

Hendys " Im a very very placid drunk" was :lol:

Would like to see more local Senior & Junir Club coverage/mentions/involvement in it etc ... :fleg:
germcevoy
Initiate

Re: Beeb Best Bowe

Post by germcevoy »

Missing just a pinch of polish but a decent first run out. Hopefully they’ll have highlights and analysis of each weeks game going forward.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

armalig wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 pm Well whats your thoughts on new Alster Rugby programme?

Hendys " Im a very very placid drunk" was :lol:

Would like to see more local Senior & Junir Club coverage/mentions/involvement in it etc ... :fleg:
One huge positive………..Ferris is nowhere to be seen or heard. It actually might be worth listening to.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It was refreshingly candid.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It was good to hear Rory's thoughts. He made the point that he thinks the likes of McCann should get some games with Vermeulen as he will learn more playing with him. As opposed to just training with/against him. He also wants to see TOT as first choice tighthead. I thinking scrummaging is the big factor in why Marty starts when available.

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

kingofthehill wrote:
armalig wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:10 pm Well whats your thoughts on new Alster Rugby programme?

Hendys " Im a very very placid drunk" was Image

One huge positive………..Ferris is nowhere to be seen or heard. It actually might be worth listening to.
Agreed.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:It was good to hear Rory's thoughts. He made the point that he thinks the likes of McCann should get some games with Vermeulen as he will learn more playing with him. As opposed to just training with/against him. He also wants to see TOT as first choice tighthead. I thinking scrummaging is the big factor in why Marty starts when available.
Ferris copying Rory for his intro tonight Image
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Just watched it - not bad at at all. Pleasant, relaxed and a bit more plain spoken than these things usually are. Interesting, thoughtful comments on Warren Gatland - he has 'his men' (-ve) he knows them and trusts them so you can see why he would pick them (+ve).
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I liked Rory’s shirt.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Decent show again tonight.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Big Stu cut quite an impressive figure the other night on the box.

Plenty of rugby left in him obviously but it was interesting to hear that he’s cultivating an interest in coaching.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

I've watched most of the episodes, but I find it a bit lightweight, and a bit insular. It's a problem with the northern rugby media in general - it barely acknowledges other teams exist (and most of the Irish rugby media covers both provinces, Leinster and Munster, so at least we're better off than Connacht). I'd like to see them do a bit more tactical analysis, more analysis of our next opponents, where we stand in the UFC, who the teams to beat are, that kind of thing. The only place I've found that covers the UFC as a league is Two Cents Rugby on Youtube, and he's just a guy talking to camera, he doesn't have any match footage. The best place for tactical analysis with match footage is Squidge Rugby, but he mostly covers the international game, and goes into way more detail than would be feasible in a half hour round-up show - but a show that does a bit of that would be good, something that shows me the things I'm not seeing.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Paddy B

The problem with tactics and discussing them is that in most cases the tactics are simplistic and centre on weather , there are then set moves and the problem with set moves are they need to be practiced and the best laid plans often fail because the opposition don't react in the hoped for manner -- and once seen or scrutinised a set move is a spent bullet. Thus ex- players are aware of this fact and seldom discuss or analysis what may be a set move in public.

They would much rather identify and discuss an individual run by an individual player .

Simplistic tactics are -- box kicks between your 22 and 10 metre line - -- feeding blind to increase the the width of the field and provide room for wings to run --dummy runners --- feeding props to run at the opposition back row and detain them in rucks using three man pods to deny the turn over .

the problem with tactics is that once players step on to the pitch, in some cases, all they see is the opposition and their mind switches off.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

paddybrown wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:32 am I've watched most of the episodes, but I find it a bit lightweight, and a bit insular. It's a problem with the northern rugby media in general - it barely acknowledges other teams exist (and most of the Irish rugby media covers both provinces, Leinster and Munster, so at least we're better off than Connacht). I'd like to see them do a bit more tactical analysis, more analysis of our next opponents, where we stand in the UFC, who the teams to beat are, that kind of thing. The only place I've found that covers the UFC as a league is Two Cents Rugby on Youtube, and he's just a guy talking to camera, he doesn't have any match footage. The best place for tactical analysis with match footage is Squidge Rugby, but he mostly covers the international game, and goes into way more detail than would be feasible in a half hour round-up show - but a show that does a bit of that would be good, something that shows me the things I'm not seeing.
With UR’s exposure outside of a pay wall being extremely limited, and rugby being very much a minority sport, I don’t have an issue with the nature of the show. If a couple of cheeky grins from Tommy Bowe can attract a few new fans then so much the better.

I trust you already listen to the Belfast Telegraph podcast. Whilst the clue about its content is again in the title, Jonathan Bradley’s contributions tend to be level-headed and pretty sound.

If you’re after a deeper dive, then Murray Kinsella is invariably an excellent read/listen on the 42ie across the Provinces and will often break down a play into a series of video clips to shine a bit of light on what’s going on.

What I think is important however, and as Rum stumbles upon to some extent, is that it’s important that rugby doesn’t fall into the same trap that football seems to have done, namely people (usually spotty teenagers) pretending that it’s far more complicated than it actually is.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Confess I don't watch it every week, but if I'm up and see that it's on, I do watch it and enjoy it. It's not deep analysis, just a good insight and very well presented by the ulster boys. Even yer man has learned when to keep shtum and let the boys talk.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right