Zebre v Ulster Saturday October 2 5:15pm KO (UK Time)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Zebre v Ulster Saturday October 2 5:15pm KO (UK Time)

Post by rumncoke »

A win is a win

Doak was somewhat slow to lift and pass on occasion for a side wanting to play side to side rugby .

Some fine individual performances in the backs but as a unit it has yet to gel as stated by others under 14s could pass it better .

The line out again looked under pressure at the start until they got the formula right .

I expected a closer game similar to that of the first half but zebra let the referee get to them in the 3rd quarter and folded for a time .

Despite his two try’s I’am still not convinced by McIlroy on the wing — the first was nearly a f - up because he was to close to the touch line and the second was made by Hume drawing the wing in field .

He has of a stutter like shuffle approaching contact which makes it easier to tackle him and attempt the turnover — while Lowry will drop into contact it is a case of self preservation due to his size and necessary and something he has developed — Mcilroys shuffle looks like something he has been doing for a long time rather than since coming into the Ulster squad .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

difficult to find anything positive to say. Yep, 5 points is 5 points, but Zebre are a very very poor side, even with 15 on the field, let alone 13 at times .

Ulster backs co ordination and passing at times unbelievable, ( is drawing your man before passing old hat?!) , and the forwards line outs and subsequent mauls ineffectual against a second rate team.

A lot of our "stars" absent, but some serious sorting out and talking to required. A few shining lights around, ( Hume and Timoney, McCann) but not many.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

and yes, Rumn, Doak was slow
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bobbie, I agree with your comments regarding the backline. Passing was poor, throwing it away with poor offloads and yes they should be drawing the man or at least straightening up. Only Hume seemed to provide much skill.

I can't however, agree that Doak was slow. I though he was great and gave good tempo. See wee dave's cameo for slowness. Doak gave the pack and backline everything. Excellent range of passing. His box kicking was superb. Generally I don't like the box kick. However, at last we see some with enough height and length to be contestable. They were really pressure relieving at times.

Burns I thought, as a senior player should have been delivering more. He gets away with a lot with Cooney inside and big Stu outside him. Nowhere to hide tonight. I hope he drops down the goal kicking pecking order also.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Doak was awarded man of the match :stir:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Somebody has to get it -- For me even though he only touched the ball twice and never scored -- Gilroy was more deserving -- he made two trys out of what could have --embarrassing situations.

As I said the back line individually was fine as a unit not really at the races .

I think a few people here are judging Zebra on the second half performance -- when in my opinion they got on the wrong side of the referee and that fact affected their game . Zebra had a much better first half and were in the game all be it against an Ulster pack lacking a few major influences but not that many and the margin in their performance in the first could be seen in the couple of kicks which went straight into touch which gave Ulster the put into the line in the Zebra half rather than inside the Ulster 22 . It is the small things that destroy focus and concentration . While Zebra are not contenders they will give a few sides a close game.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

It's very simple.....

We're going to see more knock ons and disjointed play as it has been well documented we are aiming to play at high speed, high octane rugby.
If you want to avoid knock ons and disjointed play we can play one up runners and no offloads, paint by numbers style.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Yeah I thought Gilroy has been very good- in both preseason games and last night. Watching the Stormers vs Munster was sobering - the Stormers would take us apart with ease- high tempo, plenty of offloading and a pretty serious set of forwards. Hopefully we start to gel more as the season progresses, in interviews Dan has said you don't peak in October you are aiming for knock out rugby at the end of season, providing you can win enough games to get you there. It was an ugly win - hopefully the younger players are getting a sense of how they need to step up and impose themselves on games when things aren't working. I really preferred Lowry to Burns at 10, much more spark, thought he put in some good defensive hits as well. I thought Doak was very good- he did caught out a few times as I said before but he'll grow from that. The pack is more of a concern - definitely need Hendie back, Vermeulen in there too. Izzy back and McCann getting more gametime will help as well. There are guys there but will the mature enough to make the desired difference. Reid could really settle into the side this year, hopefully McCann can do the same and Izzy when becomes back from injury.
But we definitely to significantly up our game next Friday.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Is this game in iPlayer and if so what search terms do you use as all I'm finding in womens rugby under BBC Sport NI?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

colind wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:06 pm Is this game in iPlayer and if so what search terms do you use as all I'm finding in womens rugby under BBC Sport NI?
Put in Ulster Rugby, it is there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... e-v-ulster
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

Neill_M wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 pm
colind wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:06 pm Is this game in iPlayer and if so what search terms do you use as all I'm finding in womens rugby under BBC Sport NI?

Thanks Neill, i thought it was only showing me the Thursday evening show, didn't realis the matches were under the same heading :duh:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

colind wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:28 pm
Neill_M wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks Neill, i thought it was only showing me the Thursday evening show, didn't realis the matches were under the same heading :duh:
Keep your finger on the fast forward button