Ulster v Benetton Friday Oct 8 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

allezlesverres
Initiate

Re: Ulster v Benetton Friday Oct 8 7:35pm KO

Post by allezlesverres »

Our injury list is savage. Add a hooker, an 8 and a 10 to it and it would be our first XV with a few decent subs to boot.

I'm relieved to see what looks like a weakened Benetton team. They must be knackered after the embra game. I think the decision to start Rea and bench Reidy is a bold one. I expect Dan is trying to manage Reidy's minutes and is trying to select a team that is JUST strong enough to do the job and no more. I hope he has gambled well. If we get the sort of barnstorming performance we all hope McCann is capable of, it might just work.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Paddy Power have Ulster 14 point favourites for tomorrow's game. That seems a lot.

Given Ulster's injury list, any win would be good.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

In these circumstances I would have Addison starting at 13 to bring a touch of clever centre pkay
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I reckon Hume at 13 and Addison at 15 would have been the first two names on the team sheet.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:Marty and EOS injured in training?
Yes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Treadwell, Hendo and big Stu back on the grass in training. Not smoking it.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Madigan not injured but in rehab apparently. Not mentioned in 23 or casualty list.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Personally I’d keep Hume and Moore in the centres. Moore hopefully will benefit from a run of games at 12 development wise (much the same as Hume did last yr) ideally with the same partner.

Hume for me will bar injury likely win player of the yr. providing he is fit, and not fatiguing he plays at 13, he was a class apart last week attacking wise, and should be looking to be developed by Ireland.

Addison is still rusty, he needs a run in the same position - for me UR get the best from him with the freedom at 15. I’m also reluctant to add a 13s workload onto him with his injury record.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Bobbievee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm In these circumstances I would have Addison starting at 13 to bring a touch of clever centre pkay
I was thinking that myself when I saw the teamsheet but Dharper above has provided probably the perfect response. Addison's playmaking from 15 and his injury record probably mean that without Big Stu alongside it's the right choice. Looking forward to seeing more of Moore Jr but to again echo what's just been said - Hume has really impressed recently. Slow but steady progress over the past season and it seems as though the Ireland call up has really pushed him on.

Back row's a bit worrisome with Rea as the senior member. I possibly said this last week but although I'd rather see him than Jones (himself scarcely an improvement on CRoss, albeit in different positions) there's a position to be filled in both squad and first XV there.

Should be good all in all. Hoping to see Burns do a little more or give way to Lowry for a good stretch of the game.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dave wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:59 pm Treadwell, Hendo and big Stu back on the grass in training. Not smoking it.
Dave O’Connor was also in that footage, which may have pre-dated Stu’s hamstring issue. Marty was there too.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Hope fully they revert to the 9 taking the kicks. Burns is avery adequate back up kicker but Iam not convinced that he is a powerful kicker. I feel that Doak has a greater range than Burns.I suspect that last week Dan maybe felt that Doak had enough to cope with starting at 9. However he strikes me as one who thrives on pressure so I would let him kick.
I have surprised myself in that I think that Madigan is currently our 2nd best 10 but then it is also essential that Lowry gets game time at 10 so it is a matter of balancing out the overall needs of the team. On current form I would opt for Madigan on the bench for ERC matches or InterPros.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Everyone in and around UR knows that Doak could out goal-kick Burns any day of the week. The issue will be relieving Burns from kicking in favour of a junior player. Not an issue for me but clearly for some.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Loki wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:01 am
Bobbievee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:19 pm In these circumstances I would have Addison starting at 13 to bring a touch of clever centre pkay
I was thinking that myself when I saw the teamsheet but Dharper above has provided probably the perfect response. Addison's playmaking from 15 and his injury record probably mean that without Big Stu alongside it's the right choice. Looking forward to seeing more of Moore Jr but to again echo what's just been said - Hume has really impressed recently. Slow but steady progress over the past season and it seems as though the Ireland call up has really pushed him on.

Back row's a bit worrisome with Rea as the senior member. I possibly said this last week but although I'd rather see him than Jones (himself scarcely an improvement on CRoss, albeit in different positions) there's a position to be filled in both squad and first XV there.

Should be good all in all. Hoping to see Burns do a little more or give way to Lowry for a good stretch of the game.
I am persuaded by the logic of the argument!!
Thank you
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Lovely play between McCann and Doak for the second try
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We grow our own.