Ulster v Emirates Lions Friday October 15th 7:35pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Emirates Lions Friday October 15th 7:35pm KO

Post by rumncoke »

How can you blow for advantage over , if a try is scored .

The whole point I was making is that if a penalty occurs between the 10 metres line the team being awarded the advantage has basically no advantage at all in the area of the field so why play advantage --- award the f--king penalty instead of playing on --- your going to come back that point anyway -- thus any play between the decision and the penalty being awarded is a total waste of time -- as is the time taken to get back to the place were the penalty occurred --- referee is basically guilty of time wasting -- plus frequently both players and spectators have forgotten exactly what offence was committed for the penalty to be awarded --- confusing everybody and occasionally the referee himself.

The other factor is of course at no point when play goes on can the referee call advantage over unless a try has been scored or another penalty offence has been committed by the defending side any offence by the attacking team will not be penalised.

Therefore the team defending is playing at a continuous disadvantage --- and if so is the referee being unbiased and equally fair to both teams in the play that follows his original decision ?

Which also raises the question if the team being awarded the penalty had possession was the offence for which the penalty is being awarded worthy of a penalty in the first place --- ie a penalty is to reward a team who have been DENIED possession by illegal play or (denied timely possession or space to play ) -- offside offences should be awarded immediately because other wise the player offside becomes a forgotten identity and the offence blurred in the memory of everybody but the referee .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

OMG
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Penalties and advantage given is just so unfair to the defending team and in my opinion there is nothing worse than play being returned for an original offence after 9,10 or more phases of play.
If the attacking team takes the advantage offered by the ref then I believe advantage should end when the gain line is broken.This leaves the attacking team with a decision to take the penalty or not and an understanding when an advantage is over and similarily the defending team has a clear idea of when the advantage finishes.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

rumncoke wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 am The whole point I was making is that if a penalty occurs between the 10 metres line the team being awarded the advantage has basically no advantage at all in the area of the field so why play advantage
Of course, having advantage doesn't allow them to go for a risky cross-kick or a chip over the midfield. Nope. Strictly against the rules to try something you otherwise wouldn't. :roll:
rumncoke wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 am The other factor is of course at no point when play goes on can the referee call advantage over unless a try
Not often your right, but your completely wrong again.

I haven't been on the forum in a long time. I'd have thought you might have caught yerself on a bit. You ever thought of buying yourself a dribble bar and walking around the fields? Probably be good money in it for ye.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I think the officials have the advantage after a penalty is awarded just about right, I dont think there is a golden scenario which has yet to be thought up yet.

I remember the days when there was hardly any advantage at all, it did little to stop the more cynical teams from deliberately conceding a penalty to have play haulted thus allowing them to reorganize their defence.

All Blacks in the McCaw era used to be very good at conceding a penalty and bury the ball in order to have play stopped.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Amiga500 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:13 pm
rumncoke wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 am The whole point I was making is that if a penalty occurs between the 10 metres line the team being awarded the advantage has basically no advantage at all in the area of the field so why play advantage
Of course, having advantage doesn't allow them to go for a risky cross-kick or a chip over the midfield. Nope. Strictly against the rules to try something you otherwise wouldn't. :roll:
rumncoke wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 am The other factor is of course at no point when play goes on can the referee call advantage over unless a try
Not often your right, but your completely wrong again.

I haven't been on the forum in a long time. I'd have thought you might have caught yerself on a bit. You ever thought of buying yourself a dribble bar and walking around the fields? Probably be good money in it for ye.
Amiga
Think of the forum as a form of care in the community And think of your patience as a contribution to that community