Connacht v Ulster Sat Oct 23rd 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Connacht v Ulster Sat Oct 23rd 5:15pm KO

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:11 am
O Connor assists a Connaught player to the deck ( the guy was already going down and was riding the blow from behind ) and gets a red card -- while the Connaught players illegally holding Henderson get to play on ----- I think it only goes to reinforce the perception.
Is this the real life?
Is this Rum fantasy?
Shoulder in the backside,
No escape from reality
Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see,
O'Connor just a poor boy, I have no sympathy
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sorry wrong colour -- meant yellow --

By" the right to deck " i mean when Ulster attempted to match the physicality of Connaught -- Connaught reacted with a pre-planned collective over reaction which was then dealt with by Brace as a " come here Captains occasion " Even the O 'Connor assist in the back resulted in a collective reaction by Connaught which left O Connor's response to Henderson's undignified illegal handling an obvious out for Brace to show a card.

While I can see the desire to play Henderson I doubt if he was either physically or mentally in the groove for the Connaught approach to the game which was basically an old fashioned " forget the ball play the man " game with a referee who hadn't the experience to realise and apply corrective action --- once is an accident, twice is coincidence and the third time enemy action thus basically on the second collective over reaction hand out a card forget the second Captains talk a third over reaction by the same team send the Captain off with a red .

After the intercept, achieved by an offside, try --Ulster ( some )hung out a white flag, there were a few unhappy faces in the Ulster team who were trying but too many had realised their efforts would be pointless when O'Connor was carded ie Ulster lost the will to compete during the first half.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:And tbf, Dan hasn't been saying performances were good enough despite 5 point wins. He's made it clear we have not been as good as we should or need to be.:

If only there was someone at Ulster who was getting paid to make sure that we were good enough

oh......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Woeful. Cant see any of our internationals making the Irish team at this rate.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:26 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:36 pm
Hans Indaruck wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:30 pm There can be no excuses - we had our internationals back and a good squad but we simply lacked passion and basic skills. The reffing was poor to say the least but it was not the difference between the sides! Do
It was good to see Murphy, Cooney, McGrath, Stockdale, Addison, Madigan, Carter, Marshall, Moore (Marty) and Reidy back in the team today, yes. :thumleft:

Still not an excuse though.
OK so I omitted the words “fit and available” - so your point is ……..?!
Simply that it was far from our strongest side which your "we had our internationals back" might have implied.

But that much should have been obvious.

So your point is?

BTW, I did agree with you - still no excuse.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Aki, Farrell, Buckley, Papali’i, Fifita, Thornbury, Prendergast, Wotton...... Robb
Injuries are part and parcel of the game.

Beaten by the better team on the night, no complaints.

Up next Leinster (A), Ospreys (A), Clermont (A), Saints (H), Connacht (H), Leinster (H), Munster (A), Saints (A), Clermont (H)..... that'll seperate men from boys!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rumn

Catch a grip - O'Connor's hit into the back of the Connacht player was both a cheap shot and dumb. It was a yellow card no matter how you look at it, and a penalty reverse asking to happen.

I think Brace bottled the Henderson foul play, but then O'Connor gave him the distraction he needed for that.

Brace had warned the tacklers to lower the legs. They didn't do it, hence the award of the penalty. Henderson came down head and shoulders first. Ergo a card should have been used. The fact that they didn't drive him down meant it should not have been red, but nor did they bring him to ground safely - they had him in the air, and lost control. A yellow card to one or both players (prob just the one who had his legs) should have been the tariff. By O'Connor coming in the way he did, Brace got distracted by that and forgot that two acts of dangerous play had taken place, and only carded one offender. Poor decision.

My concerns about Brace pr-match unfortunately did come true. I did say that we are usually dumb enough not to learn how he referees certain aspects of the game (or words to that effect), but in defence (sort of) of some of the players last night, they could not learn as he was very inconsistent. There were however areas where we were still just dumb again. I emphasise that that defence (sort of) does not exempt players from many other aspects of their play last night. We just weren't good enough.

This thing about being beaten by a team that wanted it more should never be an issue. If that was the case, teams at the bottom would be winning against teams above them in the table regularly - if they don't want to be at the bottom of the table that is. A good team should be able to overcome a lesser team no matter how much they want it. We weren't good enough last night.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:17 am Aki, Farrell, Buckley, Papali’i, Fifita, Thornbury, Prendergast, Wotton...... Robb
Injuries are part and parcel of the game.

Beaten by the better team on the night, no complaints.
Correct. The difference between the best teams and the rest is that when they have those injuries they can replace them with players of equal or nearly equal ability.

As has long been the case, our bench is rarely and even our starting 15 can't do that because of our lack of strength in depth.

A lot of complaints about players who aren't good enough to play for Ulster, and I agree with much of that, but the sad reality is when we have injuries, there's no one else to play. Replacing all those squad players with top class players sadly isn't an option, and we cannot get by on a squad of 20 players.
I'm not arguing -
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

"Fight for every inch" is Dan's motto. There wasn't much sign of that last night.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Agreed Capt my point was it was needless because the Connaught player was already going down and as a cheep shot was going to be totally ineffective and therefore totally dumb . but it provided Brace with an easy out and card for what was dangerous play by Connaught on Henderson which should have been a yellow for at least one.

It also provided Connaught the opportunity to go into collective overreaction and a cheap little kick at Henderson on the ground if my eyes don't deceive me , with O'Connors cheap shot being incorrectly seen as the provocative act rather than the illegal double lift on Henderson.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He didn't even look at the trip on Gilroy when he was in for a try in the first 10mins. He then followed that up with his blatant disregard for Doaks safety at the back of a ruck, again when we were on the attack. We were pretty terrible, but Brace had already decided who was winning that game.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I wouldn't include treadwell in the list of not making grade. He has shown in his limited time on the field this season to have discovered a bit more physicality than either O'Connor or Carter. The guy has got capped, how many of those other forwards would ever get near an Ireland squad?

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Is Gareth Milo injured or is he really not worth giving a chance ahead of Ross Kane?

Is Lowry a better option at 10 than Burns or do we have to accept that Burns is the best we have got?

Is Marcus Rea so far behind his brother and Greg Jones that he is not worth giving any gametime to, instead of persisting with them?

In each case based on the performance of the incumbents we should be looking at alternatives, which is why I am surprised Dan appears to be refusing to try any of them in a meaningful way.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:40 am I wouldn't include treadwell in the list of not making grade. He has shown in his limited time on the field this season to have discovered a bit more physicality than either O'Connor or Carter. The guy has got capped, how many of those other forwards would ever get near an Ireland squad?
I think with the locks we are stuck with what we have got. Carter looked ok last season until he got injured (again). Tredwell looks like he could be decent but hasn’t kicked on from a couple of years ago. AOC reached his playing ceiling a while ago.

The “hype” around Izzy is partly justified but also smacks of a lot of desperation as this is a real area of weakness. He has the raw ingredients but is very raw.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:35 pm
jean valjean wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 pm https://fb.watch/8NEUFq5KyW/

Masks needed in indoor areas
No vax cert unless in hospitality
No cash bars
Guinness.....luxury😂

Heads up if going to Lansdowne Road, they shut the bars 10 minutes into second half and have a "stout" called Islands Edge which makes Murphys seem decent.