McCall gets the Praise

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Donald Ducked
Novice

Post by Donald Ducked »

I agree - I was well proud of our European ranking the season before last.

27th is pretty poor.
Quack Quack.... QUACK!!

From the Duck formerly known as Baldrick...
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I still stick by my views that McCall is a good coach but he maybe inexperienced as a Head Coach but you have to expect mistakes to be made by him in his initial year but you do expect those mistakes to become less and less. Solly credited him with being a very good defensive coach. The appointment of Neil Kelly was an admission that doing it all was too much for one guy. I said on his appointment that we have to give him at least a season. By the same token if we start next season in the same manner as last well then he may have to do the decent thing and draw the Mess Webley.

Last season our away form in terms of performances was much better in that we put in performances that should have beaten 3 top class sides: Leinster, Ospreys and Dragons away from home and were stopped becasue of poor refereeing or impestuousness. We beat a top class team from France and give a good account of ourselves in the second half in Paris. We beat a top Premiership side in Belfast even with a good try disallowed. After we beat Cardiff in the HEC we did not loose a competitive game in Belfast. Apart from 10 minutes either side of the half we gave a powerful Bulls side a run for their money.

Last season was always going to be difficult. The previous season most RWC players were suffering from RWC hangover and in the main did not produce to the same high standard so that made us look better than we were. A new head coch feeling his way, a poor start, confidence drops and all of a sudden you find yourself looking down the toilet. But to the credit of all the boys picked themselves up again and put in some rousing moments.

Having said that Mark McCall has had his honeymoon period and he must now produce. We now have Justin Harrisn who hopefully will batter some sense into Sniffer.

Colin :twisted:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Not forgetting the other Justin (Mr, Fitzpatrick) who should also be a welcome boost to the strength of the front five. :P

You're right Colin. The honeymoon is over - MMcC has to step up and deliver this season. The "new boy" excuse is no longer valid, and the great Ulster public expects, and deserves, better this season.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Fists Fitzpatrick ... he certainly aint scared of a fight. I tittered when I read somewhere that he relished the physical confrontaion of the front row in France where he said it gets very personal and the French see it as a matter of personal pride to get the better of their opposite number. No finer man.

Colin :twisted:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

In Fitzy's own words "he's fightin fit and ready for action" :D
ding dong2u
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ding dong2u »

Just hope he remembers not to do it in front of the ref as he did at Thumpin Park a few years ago.
Stand Up for the Ulster Men

RIP Nevin Spence 1990 - 2012
Flankers Lugs
Novice

Post by Flankers Lugs »

I gotta hold my hands up as well and say that I to was mayhaps a bit to critical of McCall. The problem really lay with Clarke...the pack was pathetic at times...lets hope that with Harrison on board there will be a bit more steel on display. Agree that Maxwell was wasted on the sidelines when he is recognised as a flying machine.
:lol: [/img]