Fanning speaks...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I think the objections to the NI flag at Ulster games are an exact parallel to the objections to the Tricolour at Ireland games. The NI flag doesn't represent the whole of Ulster just the 6 counties of NI and while many may see it as "just the flag of our wee country" to some others it has political undertones which bring to mind things that are best consigned to the past.

I don't object to fans bringing the NI flag to Ulster Games any more than I object to fans waving Tricolours at Ireland games but I'd prefer the true provincial flag and the IRFU flag to be used instead.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote: - Don't see a problem with the red and white Northern Ireland flag. We see Tricolours at Munster and Leinster games and even at Ireland matches.
slightly faulty logic there.. no reason to 'ban' tricolours from leinster/munster games, that the national flag for the entire province.

the parallel is with tricolours at lansdowne road.. which is equally inappropriate
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Little Jackie Paper wrote:I'm always especially surprised by those that suggest that the N. Ireland flag isn't welcome. I would regard both the white NI flag and the yellow Ulster flag as welcome. It's our flag, don't let it be taken away from us by some idiots our community.
the flegs debate has been done to death.. but you need to realise that it's not 'our flag'. that's the argument in a nutshell.

'our flag' is the yellow provincial flag. that's the only flag that represents the entire province.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

sorry for repeating paul's point... hadn't seen it when i posted
ElPedro
Novice

Post by ElPedro »

Yes Aarons,

But perhaps you forget that "our" refers only to a small minoroty of Ulster fans who bother to post on your message board.

There is a silent majority.

Not sure if you have a suitable quorum here to claim to represent any view other than your own personal one.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

ElPedro wrote:Yes Aarons,

But perhaps you forget that "our" refers only to a small minoroty of Ulster fans who bother to post on your message board.

There is a silent majority.

Not sure if you have a suitable quorum here to claim to represent any view other than your own personal one.
don't know what point you're trying to make pedro, but it's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.

the ulster rugby team is not the NI rugby team, no matter what some people choose to think.
ElPedro
Novice

Post by ElPedro »

The point i Was making that it's not in your gift to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I personal find nothing wrong in the "eeyore" at an opposition dropped pass knock on etc if helps to unsettle the opposition well and good similiarly OFF OFF if it puts a little pressure on the ref well and good and "cheerio cheerio" is in many occassions well deserved recognition of foul play and may unsettle the opposition

It is part of the act of supporting a team to try and unsettled the opposition

silence during kicks can be even more unnerving for the kicker as noise and therefore I think silence during kicks is beneficia

Shouting/singing/or chanting racial or religious or foul language abuse at players before during or after the match is totally unacceptable

What we must preserve is the family friendly atmosphere that has and I hope will always be present at rugby matches and Ravenhill

But then I was educated at school with war chants and songs etc and therefore it is in my bloodstream so to speak
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
cyril
Initiate

Post by cyril »

Harold7 wrote:I'd have to say that the piece about football fans coming in greater numbers is true. I don't have a problem with that at all, i just would rather they left their football style chanting at home. Still just the headline "Fingers will be pointed at Ulster fans" shows that a small minority can tarnish everyone.

Having said that it is interesting to note that Fanning has gone to a lot of trouble to illustrate alleged problems with ulster's support yet doesn't seem to address Brennan's penchant for violence.
"Still just the headline "Fingers will be pointed at Ulster fans" shows that a small minority can tarnish everyone. "only thing here H is your not going to get away from them fans are you and every club has them,sad to say :roll:
i love munching Leeks....Image
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

ElPedro wrote:The point i Was making that it's not in your gift to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.
did i say anywhere that it was?
Little Jackie Paper
Novice

Post by Little Jackie Paper »

Aarons,

I take certainly your point that the flegs debate is done to death, but I would take umbridge with someone telling me at an ulster match that a NI flag wasn't acceptable, and I don't feel it's useful to suggest that carrying such a flag be included in a list of unacceptable behaviour.

Let's be straight - we all have a fairly good idea of what is unnacceptable behaviour at a rugby match (or anaywhere else for that matter) in terms of abusive or racist or sectarian behaviour.

'Cheerio, Cheerio' just doesn't fit into any of these catagories, neither does the NI flag.

I also take the point that the yellow provincial flag does represent all of the counties. But if someone wanting to support Ulster with an NI flag, or Japanese Naval Ensign for that matter, wants to wave it - as long as they are not being abusive - then they should be able to.

Does anyone seriously feel that not waving an NI flag, not chanting 'Cheerio' or making donkey noises would make the slightest bit of difference in terms of our perception by supporters of rival Magners League teams?
LJP
ElPedro
Novice

Post by ElPedro »

aarons wrote:[

It was hard to hear what you were saying from up there on your high horse.

You busy yourself developing your politically correct supporters charter. The other 12000 of us will get on with what we do best - Supporting Ulster, having a good time with the opposition fans and hopefully not offending anyone too much (can't always legislate for the over-sensitive like you!)

If you don't like it, vote with your feet, don't come. That's democracy in action, not telling others how to behave.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Little Jackie Paper wrote:I take certainly your point that the flegs debate is done to death, but I would take umbridge with someone telling me at an ulster match that a NI flag wasn't acceptable, and I don't feel it's useful to suggest that carrying such a flag be included in a list of unacceptable behaviour.
take umbridge all you like, but you can't dispute the fact that the presence of so many NI flags contributes to the (false) perception that Ravenhill is a hostile and sectarian place

i'm not saying whether it's acceptable or not, just stating the situation

as stated above, the parallel is with taking a tricolour to lansdowne road. it's a territorial gesture that makes some people feel uncomfortable
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

ElPedro wrote:
aarons wrote:[

It was hard to hear what you were saying from up there on your high horse.

You busy yourself developing your politically correct supporters charter. The other 12000 of us will get on with what we do best - Supporting Ulster, having a good time with the opposition fans and hopefully not offending anyone too much (can't always legislate for the over-sensitive like you!)

If you don't like it, vote with your feet, don't come. That's democracy in action, not telling others how to behave.
:roll:

WUM alert
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

El Pedro,

would you prefer that Tricolour flalgs were not waved at Lansdowne in support of the ALL Ireland rugby team?

If you have no objection that your position is perfectly consistent. If you object even in the slightest then you might want to re-consider your position on the NI flag.

Either way neither Aaron not I said that waving an NI flag was unacceptable, just that it wasn't really the flag of the Ulster rugby team as it only represents 2/3rds of Ulster.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: