Neil Francis speaks

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Something like I would have expected although I did not think he would basically call Julian Fowler a liar :shock: Perhaps it's time he actually went to some of the Ulster games or is he too afraid that we might not live up to his one eyed view when he actually saw us in the flesh.
He did however say Brennans actions were unacceptable
Last edited by Rooster on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
colin_m
Novice

Post by colin_m »

Well if I'm going to do it, then he certainly should.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

apart from basically calling paddy and yer man from the bbc liars,
That's the point for me, was Francis at the game, was Fanning?

I was, but missed the incident as i was out getting the beers in.
But without exception, everyone who i spoke to afterwards (some i knew and some i didn't) confirmed that there was no reference made to Brennan's mother and that includes several lads from Virginia RFC who were seated directly behind me and witnessed the whole episode.

We seem to be beating ouselves up over this when the truth is we are no worse than others, and in many respects a hell of a lot better.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

colin_m wrote:Well if I'm going to do it, then he certainly should.
You'll be alright colin they have banned barbeques on the terraces :lol: Just don't bring Brian Smith though :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Exactly Browner, that is the big problem, journalists who were not there spouting opinions 2 for sure that were there were Fowler and Ed Curran the Tele boss everyone else is on second or third hand info, even those up in the press box did not see what was going on never mind hear it
Rory Best
Dervock
Novice

Post by Dervock »

This is a bit like the yer man from the RTE interview that coached him when he was eight, nothing is based on fact...to dismiss the testimony of Julian Fowler is quite infuriating and his comments just show that he approached this article with the blinkers on!
"its not that the Irish are cynical, it's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody."
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

maybe this will cheer you all up.. from the same issue of the tribune, two of 'ireland's 20 sexiest sportsmen'

LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

Ah God - I dont believe this. How can anyone refute the accounts of a BBC reporter and dismiss them as less than convincing when he wasnt even bloody well there.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

two of 'ireland's 20 sexiest sportsmen'

No Jamesie? :lol:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
El Diablo
Novice

Post by El Diablo »

I, and a good number of Leinster fans have spent the week defending the reputation of Ulster supporters. However I have to say the photo in yesterdays Irish Times of Brennan being heckled and showered in beer in unacceptable behaviour by a number of Ulster fans. It is ugly and I would hope that most real supporters would condemn it.
It doesn't justify Brennans actions but it looks more like soccer thuggery than the "good natured ribbing" that has been referred to on this forum for the last week.
I appreciate that most of you haven't seen the pic. I will try and scan it (as Rooster will testify I am not very techie minded). The idiot showering TB (and other fans) in beer is clearly identifiable.
We like to MOVE IT, MOVE IT!!!
LePaul
El Pablo

Post by LePaul »

El Diablo - firstly, as someone who doesnt know you at all, I must thank you sincerely for coming to our aide right now. We seem, sadly, that we need it.

Regarding the beer throwing incident, under normal circumstances I would fully agree with you but given the fear, shock, anger, frustration, disgust, helplessness and pure astonsihment that was felt last Sunday afternoon I dont feel as bad about it as I would normally. You have to have been there to believe it.

As for the who threw the beer let me say this one more bloody time

MANY MANY FRENCH SUPPORTERS THREW BEER FOR THE SAME REASONS THAT MANY MANY ULSTER SUPPORTERS DID
Rugby thick and full of Ulster passion
Whats wrong with that then FRU ???
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

El Diablo wrote:I, and a good number of Leinster fans have spent the week defending the reputation of Ulster supporters. However I have to say the photo in yesterdays Irish Times of Brennan being heckled and showered in beer in unacceptable behaviour by a number of Ulster fans. It is ugly and I would hope that most real supporters would condemn it.
It doesn't justify Brennans actions but it looks more like soccer thuggery than the "good natured ribbing" that has been referred to on this forum for the last week.
I appreciate that most of you haven't seen the pic. I will try and scan it (as Rooster will testify I am not very techie minded). The idiot showering TB (and other fans) in beer is clearly identifiable.
we've all seen the pic many times, el diablo. i don't know how you missed it until yesterday.

yet again, a paper printed it without making it clear that it happened after the 'incident'. which doesn't excuse it but makes it less of a red flag to those who want to criticise ulster.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

El D the photo of the beer being thrown was after the assault, I unfortunatly did not get any pics of Alfies attack due to cleaning beer thrown by French supporters off my camera. Did not look good at the time and still does not but that photo was well cropped to show only Ulsterfans involved, I saw the original it was taken from and wish I could get my grubby little paws on it.
Rory Best
hound
Novice

Post by hound »

El, thanks for the support and defending our reputation. I have seen that photo like many others and it was after TB had carried out the assualt.How do I know, because thats where I was sitting and some of my friends are in the photo.
People act differently in shock, look at the peoples faces,some in bewilderment, some are laughing, and yes some people are angry.All natural reactions to shock.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

browner wrote:
We seem to be beating ouselves up over this when the truth is we are no worse than others, and in many respects a hell of a lot better.
However lets say that you basically have the same type of people going to watch all the ML teams, and there is a certain % of idiots among them, in terms of actual numbers, more idiots will watch Ulster than any other team given Ulster is the best supported team*.

More idiots squeezed into the same space will lead to the potential for more annoyance for everyone.

Therefore as attendances grow (and I think Ulster's ML attendances are up 17% so far this year) the Ulster Branch really can't afford to be complacent about this.

* putting aside the Last Stand which means Leinster will probably be the best supported team this season.