Shocking journalism in Irish Independent

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Munsterboy wrote:
Oh, and just in case you think I've gone all soft on ye, I'd just like to say: your pack's a bunch of girls. :wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
colin_m
Novice

Post by colin_m »

Yes, I see that McCullough's situation was mis-represented. In fact, it looks like the journo had been reading these fora about the "spide" defence, which, of course, was not even required to be called upon (even if that was the actualite[/i}). So maybe some contributors here are feeding the media firestorm?
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

That made me laugh Munsterboy ...... thanks a bit of support from you is well recieved. Maybe we are not crying blue murder because we are getting used to the criticism. Due process seems to be dealing with them but if jurnos care to keep bringing them up thats their problem not ours. There is obviously something eating away at them if they have to resort to that sort of stuff. Im not bothered as my energies are directed to supporting Ulster and being very grateful for the support we have recieved from the likes of you, Leinster fans, Bath supporters etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc and of course not forgeting the results of due process.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Must admit that I'm finding all this knocking of UR by journos and some other quarters quite tiring now. Dare I say I think I'm getting a bit bored with it.

Journos are always going to write what they want regardless of whether they have been to an Ulster game or not. Let's face it, there's no juice to be had out of all the good things that the club or it's supporters do as it just does'nt sell papers. These guys are always going to add in negative extras and twist so much that is makes all of us (supporters and players) look like abusive sectarian / racist bigots who have no discipline.

Mud will always stick where there have been 'allegations' of any nature in the past but I'm at the point now where I'm almost past caring. It won't however stop me from supporting MY team.

I've been keeping up to date with everything that's been going on over the last few months through this board and others and have to commend a number of you for your rigourous defence of the UR supporters. It has been gallant but sadly it won't stop the crap that's being spouted (and will continue to be spouted) by the press and some other mixers.

It's also really heartening that real friends of UR have been posting messages of support. They, like the majority of us, know the truth about our supporters because they have been there and experienced it for themselves. It's great that we still have true friends out there.

I think it's time to move on, we are never going to stop journos writing a load of sh1t and sadly a number of people will allow themselves to be influenced by some of the bile that's been written. As far as I'm concerned it's their loss. Until these so called excuses for journos come to a few of our matches and see at first hand how great our people are I frankly don't want to waste my energy on them and their small minded 'opinions'.

Let's forget these numptys and get back to what we do best - supporting our team.

Rant over!
WW :)
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

basically this should be a wake-up call to the ULSTER Branch PRO

to get the pLayers into the community visit Hospitals and schools/do something for the disabled eg pay for two season tickets for Toulouse for a disabled child and guardian

And I think the URSC should also think about how we can change poeples perception and attitudes

It s time to stop saying nobody loves us

We won't change it by doing nothing
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Don't agree Bogboy - why should UR have to go out on a PR charm offensive to give the impression that we / they are good people?

By doing that, we're looking desperate to prove people wrong - and that's not the case IMO. Every teams supporters have their idiots, it's just the press that are trying to give the world the impression that all of Ravenhill is full of idiots.

Probably not the best thing to compare this with but do you really think that Jade Goody taking a trip to India is going to completely exonerate her? She'll carry the racist tag with her for the rest of her days.

Sadly, UR will carry a tag of sorts for the rest of our days (as we are seeing in the press at the mo) and no amount of players visiting sick children and grannies in hospitals is going to change that.

UR already do great work in the community and I for one don't think they have to escalate that to prove to the those (who frankly don't give a stuff about the truth) that we are an all inclusive club.

We can only change people's perceptions by inviting them to experience the Ravenhill atmosphere themselves IMO and perhaps that's where the UB PRO and URSC could perhaps play a part?

Saying that, I'm still not remotely convinced that it'll stop journos publishing what they want.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

bogboy, i agree completely.

but the best way to shut people up would be to START WINNING SOME BL**DY GAMES!
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Agree with most of what you wrote in reply to Boggie Wee Woman.

However, what may have been forgotten in all this, is the salacious allegations made in a Sunday newspaper in November

It was actually September IIRC. But hey, if history needs to be re-written to suit a story - do it!
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

aarons wrote:
as to coming to my own conclusion about what actually happenend - it's been a shocking 3 months. didn't need the indo's help for that.
It is just as well aaron, because this piece would be of no help whatsoever. Do you think many outsiders have the deeper knowledge that allow them to see through this piece though?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

i really think you're overthinking it. it's just a diary entry in the lamest of the dublin papers.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

cables wrote:But hey, if history needs to be re-written to suit a story - do it!
Indeed! :) Not that journos would EVER do that now eh?

The occasional win would also be great too!

WW
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

If you don't fill the press with the positives then you leave the opportunity to fill with negatives

and unfortunately the media is the source from which most poeple form an opinion

facts don't matter positives don't matter unless you ensure they are published

and that is the job for the PRO and he can't do it on his own

The more you allow the press to print negatives the more negative the opinions become
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
colin_m
Novice

Post by colin_m »

Indeed. As an outsider, it is the media: news, internet etc. that informs my opinions. Fans can only do so much. Given the disproportionate distribution of an opinion expressed on a widely read forum such as this, perhaps we could all (mea culpa) have a bit of forethought before pressing return. Difficult, when Ireland's national sport is vigorous debate.

I really wouldn't mind coming across for a game, but for all the claims of inclusiveness, I still can't reconcile that notion with the predominance of NI flags. Maybe anachronistic, and the mirror of your experiences in Dublin, but there you go, that's my demon to deal with.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

colin_m wrote:Indeed. As an outsider, it is the media: news, internet etc. that informs my opinions.
Dear gawd, haven't you heard about not believing all you read in the newspapers?
colin_m wrote:Difficult, when Ireland's national sport is vigorous debate.
? We're not talking about GAA.
colin_m wrote:I really wouldn't mind coming across for a game, but for all the claims of inclusiveness, I still can't reconcile that notion with the predominance of NI flags. Maybe anachronistic, and the mirror of your experiences in Dublin, but there you go, that's my demon to deal with.
It most certainly is, if you can't understand the threads that you have contributed to regarding the flags issue by now, then you have no hope, and quite frankly, with your continuing contributions that are only designed to :stir: without subjective/objective arguments to back what you say, then you will not be welcome anyway.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Rufee
Initiate

Post by Rufee »

3 words people Slow News Day!
journos need to fill column inches!
If you obey all the rules You miss all the fun!!