Disgraceful bus behaviour of so called supporters

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Disgraceful bus behaviour of so called supporters

Post by for dog and ulcer »

I have waited until today to make this post and to debate whether I should. The decision is obvious and I made it in the best interests of genuine supporters.

On the return URSC bus journey yesterday one half of the passengers were subjected to the most sustained and unacceptable behaviour I have ever witnessed. This as at the hands of a group of drunk and progressively more drunk young men on coach 2. I am no prude and have no record for abstinence but the deliberately offensive nature of the continual singing of the most extreme rugby songs and the consumption of two cases of Heineken and bottle of whiskey carried on by this group was the most systematically intentional offensive behaviour I have ever witnessed. I have travelled on the late boat with drunk football fans of both Celtic and Rangers and not experienced this deliberately offensive vulgarity which took no account of the presence of female passengers from several age groups. I have noted on this site a tendency by some to decry football supporters and to imply that they are the undesirable group. I accept that I may have had a similar prejudice. These individuals attended noted rugby playing Belfast schools. It would be unfair to name the schools- but the point is that football is not their preferred game.

Having correctly identified that their behaviour was offensive they then targeted their abuse at those like myself who did not find it amusing. Since there were a group of at least 8, all drunk and one very aggressive, it would not have been prudent to have responded. Thus my wife and the other passengers were subjected to 2 hours of this. They deliberately intimidated their fellow Ulster Rugby supporters who had gone to the expense and trouble of going to Dublin to support the team.

As a former rugby club member and player can I make it quite clear that:

1.This was a mixed party - not a private stag do- and passengers would not have anticipated this outcome. I have been on away trips to Galway, Dublin, Edinburgh and Glasgow and have never before seen any sign of such behaviour.

2. I am not easily offended and have no "religious" stance to speak of

The events caused me to rethink my views on the appropriateness and accuracy of Mike Reid's comments on an undesirable element of our "support" and on feeling threatened. I can now fully understand his perspectives and his actions in recording his concerns.. Doubts were cast as to how threatening this actually was. These individuals were beyond any standards of decency or reason and I now have no reservations about suggesting that the threat level to his and Mark McCall's sfety may have been very high indeed.

Questions must also be answered about the failure to apply the no alcohol on board rule and the safety of continuing to drive towards Belfast while 12 or more passengers stand and dance. I will not be boarding one of these buses again unless assurances are given and some procedures are put into place.I doubt if my wife will ever wish to travel again regardless of what is promised. The perspective of others on coach 2 would be welcome.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

While I was on bus 2 and was not sober, I sincerely hope I am not one of the people spoken about here.
I slept / listened to music for a fair while on the journey, and personally did not hear any of the singing in question here, although I am not denying it happened.
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Dublin and will definitely do it again, and I'm gutted to read that you'll not be going on any of the trips until reassurances are made.
Looking at it from a Chambers perspective their drivers are there to (mainly) drive a bus, and everyone was seated when the bus left.
Perhaps the bus driver didn't stop because we were on a motorway (again, not sure as I was sleeping)?

On the policy of alcohol, again from a Chambers perspective: They're getting business from URSC, and a lot of people travelling with Ulster take alcohol with them on away trips (it can make the journey more fun although in this case apparently not), and if Chambers suddenly started to clamp down on alcohol being brought on board, Chambers would obviously lose business (if only a handful of people are going on the coach, then it's not good for Chambers or the URSC) to rival bus companies who may turn a blind eye to alcohol or to trains (in which you are IIRC, allowed to drink).

I am disappointed that your day was ruined by the antics on the bus, and it would be nice for you to get an apology from those in question here.
If I am one of those in question, then sorry.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Colzo

You will be reassured to know that you had nothing to do with this.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Re: Disgraceful bus behaviour of so called supporters

Post by jamesie »

for dog and ulcer wrote:This as at the hands of a group of drunk and progressively more drunk young men on coach 2
i thought the team would've had their own coach!? :roll:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Skangers everywhere :lol:

Maybe time for strict stewarding on the buses, not easy i know but.

Or else a complete ban on alchol strictly enforced......again down to stewarding.

Spoils it for everyone.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Browner

Thanks for that- I agree that stewarding would help and I remember leaving Ravenhill years ago for Dublin on just such a bus- I believe the steward was called Maurice and he did an effective and good humoured job supported by the driver. A shame,,,but may be the only way. Incidentally the individuals responsible are easy to identify although it would be only too easy to get tickets even if barred.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

i was very much of the opinion, when witnessing poor behaviour in swansea, that some stewarding - ie, a visible but low-key presence from the branch or the supporters club - would have made a big difference.

though then i think back to bourgoin, when the fans were on great form, and i wonder why it's needed sometimes and not others

sorry your day was spoiled FDAU
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

I agree that stewarding would help and I remember leaving Ravenhill years ago for Dublin on just such a bus- I believe the steward was called Maurice and he did an effective and good humoured job supported by the driver.
I remember that bus as well.............and Maurice...........top bloke. :roll:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

I'm sure i met a few skangers in Bourgoin. :wink:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

browner wrote:I'm sure i met a few skangers in Bourgoin. :wink:
we tried to get jamesie to leave his hooped earrings behind but he wasn't having any of it
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I was at the front of the bus mentioned, the lads in question just behind. Singing seemed good natured enough to me and did not seem to be directed to anyone in particular. Couple of ladies at the front didn't seem too upset by it.

I'm not aware if you spoke to them fdau, as like Colzo I slept part of the way back.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

As a major participant yourself in the offensive singing I anticipated your reply- for the record I did not see you sleep at all. I will not be responding to any of your posts in future- if you adjudge that as acceptable behaviour I have nothing further to say to you.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I don't accept that.

Yes I was singing on occasion. Most of the songs I didn't know and was just enjoying the craic. I didn't know any of the younger group just behind me personally.

I was dozing for part of the trip back, fact.

For future trips perhaps you might address concerns directly to the URSC or could offer to steward yourself.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

C'mon lads................in future maybe we could keep this to pm's.

I wasn't there, so i'll have to accept both versions and again levels of offence vary.
For what it's worth...........
I don't know the dog (as far as i know) but i have met Freddie on a few occasions and he comes across as neither drunken or aggresive.

This is not intended as a defence.

Somehow feel this could have been resolved on the bus.

Should i use these buses again i would be happy to offer my services as a steward...............my ski mask is washed and ironed.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Hot in the Tropics
Novice

Post by Hot in the Tropics »

FDAU - you clearly feel aggrieved by the behavious on the bus. I suggest you write a formal letter to Mike Reid of UB explaining what happened as you saw it. Supporters buses ARE the responsibility of UB, so they cannot run from that. And see where it goes from there.
Keep it real; not inflamatory