Pitch Inspection

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Re: Pitch Inspection

Post by Gemma »

I thought you wanted to keep the Munster boys occupied since they'd made the trip up? :wink:
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Gemma wrote:I thought you wanted to keep the Munster boys occupied since they'd made the trip up? :wink:

You know me ................. happy to help out rugby where I can :wink: :flower:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

Between the two of us, we'll have this match back on again. Or something.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

With regards to blaming it appears that some of our Muntser brethren are pointing the finger at UR for not using covers on the pitch. It appears that all 4 provinces were provided with same for just such an occasion and afterall the snow was forecast.

Didn't think it would go ahead today after seeing the photos on the news and having been out subjecting others to H&S issues for 6 hours today.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

By the sound of it it is not the pitch being the real problem CT but the grounds to an extent and also the surrounding access to the area which is not really UR's problem.
The pitch is not frozen so covers would make no difference and how the heck would you get them moved with the weight of snow and water ?

Can't see UR taking the matter of postponing the match lightly as a considerable cost will ensue.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

They were probably afraid I would slip and fall wrecking the other ankle and thought my demands would be more than the players (esp big Simon) could cope with - hence much safer for evryone concerned :twisted: :wink:

Brian Griffin
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

No doubt this is all Kimbles fault for not mobilising the URSC committee earlier in the day to clear the pitch, terrace, prom, area surrounding the stand, carpark, path to the bogs and then the surrounding streets and roads :evil:
Sham on you Kimmy :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Given the appearances as seen on Mark Sidebottom's report one BBC Newsline at lunchtime, it was never realistically going to cleared - pitch or ground.
However, there was no sign of the contractors mentioned by UR this am that had been employed to help the situation.

Perhaps tok was back in Ballyholme at that stage. :roll:
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

If I had a shovel,
I'd shovel in the morning,
I'd shovel in the evening,
all over this land.

I'd holler out a warning,
I'd holler out danger,
I'd shovel that slush between Grumpy and Freddie
all over the wall.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
atee
Novice

Post by atee »

back in the day when i was at durham uni, when it snowed before newcastle falcon's matches they used to appeal to supporters to come clear away the snow before matches, if you came then you got free entry to the match that day! we should have all gone and swept the city!!
1 LOVE 1 ULSTER
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

Now there's an idea!
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

atee wrote:if you came then you got free entry to the match that day!
this mob would've only emptied the ballex out of each other if they we're given shovels... :shock:

am disappointed me... extended my stay over crimbo and new year for this match... hey ho. interesting if i'll get a refund as won't be here for re-match... :(

i'm actually bemused at the lack of action by the roads service... have been on north circular, antrim road, cavehill road and many of the raods off the castle today... not a gram of grit or salt in sight... scandalous!!! i heard on the radio earlier that they're having a pop at the met office for not warning them!!! WTF!? :shock:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

jamesie wrote:hey ho. interesting if i'll get a refund as won't be here for re-match...
see the 'postponed' thread J

should get a refund once CR decide on the date to play the match
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Yes we ended up with wheels spinning and going nowhere at top of Waterloo ............. thought we would have at least been safe going that way :oops:

Think Gemma would quite happily have taken a snowplough & cleaned the streets round Ravers tonight just to see Hugo running round pitch in his shorts :wink:

Brian Griffin
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Rooster- I made mention of what some Munster fans had been asking with regards to the covers.

As for my other comment as I say having spent most of the day in East Belfast dealing with a H&S issue stemming from the overnight snow I was simply saying that I had doubts the game would go ahead. The streets around Ravenhill were up until the rain anyway very dangerous and with a potential drop in temperature getting into and out of the ground was always going to be difficult.

Any attempt to move snow from the terraces should have been started very early I know of one team of gritters that were working for several hours on a site considerably smaller than Ravenhill. One chance may have been to hope the expected rain came I know that this was under discussion elswhere although there was concern over a further drop in temperature and getting all the gritting down. Wasn't blaming anyone just making an observation from being out on the ground for most of day and accepting that H&S was always going to be an issue. It was apparent to me at 9am this morning and again at 3pm when I went home.

There might not be a good time to ever call a game off but not sure that it couldn't have been made earlier.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU