Pitch Inspection

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Re: Pitch Inspection

Post by jamesie »

cheers freddie... s'pose the hatski would've made an appearance and all... that would have been worth the ticket price alone...! :P
goodaine wrote:Think Gemma would quite happily have taken a snowplough & cleaned the streets round Ravers tonight just to see Hugo running round pitch in his shorts :wink:
except she wouldn't have seen hugo running round pitch in his shorts as he wasn't for playing...
atee
Novice

Post by atee »

not that i want to get off the topic, but as well as giving us shovels they should have the hot tub at the corner of the pitch, just like the falcons! you bid on ebay and the highest bidder gets the game in the tub with some of the cheerleaders!

http://www.newcastle-falcons.co.uk/35_2947.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1 LOVE 1 ULSTER
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

jamesie wrote:s'pose the hatski would've made an appearance and all... that would have been worth the ticket price alone...! :P
da :mexican:

(not quite the same :roll: )
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

except she wouldn't have seen hugo running round pitch in his shorts as he wasn't for playing...
Was he not a replacement for tonights game though :scratch:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

I would have happily been out there with the snowplough on the pitch and the salt on the terrace if it meant I got to see my boy playing! But as jamesie pointed out, he would have spent a fair bit of the match bench-warming. Of course I could've kept him company, it being cold and all that :wink:
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:There might not be a good time to ever call a game off but not sure that it couldn't have been made earlier.
From the regulary updates coming out of Ulster Rugby today, it would seem that they weren't sure either, CT, and while there was a chance, they were almost certainly correct to go for that chance.

No point of making an issue out of a non-issue!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cap'n- Just nipped over and had a look at the regular updates and see what you mean by UR not being sure either. On at 9.30am, off shortly after 12 some 3 hrs before the final inspection then confirmed as off earlier than expected.
By Stacy Ferguson
4 January 08 9:36am
Ulster Rugby hope to confirm by 3.30pm today, following pitch and health & safety inspections whether or not tonight's game v Munster will go ahead.
By Stacy Ferguson
4 January 08 12:12pm
With the Ulster v Munster match confirmed as postponed Ulster rugby fans have been out all day making the most of the seasonal weather and showing their support for the team.
By Stacy Ferguson
4 January 08 3:03pm
Ulster’s Magners League match v Munster scheduled to be played at Ravenhill (7.30pm) has been called off due to weather conditions…
some might call that confusing
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

By Stacy Ferguson
4 January 08 12:12pm
With the Ulster v Munster match confirmed as postponed Ulster rugby fans have been out all day making the most of the seasonal weather and showing their support for the team.
That was not the original wording on that page CT she changed the page after the match was postponed but it still had the original time.
Don't go by times published on UR site, I copied Anne Perry's question and answer session with Matt Williams from UR yesterday 18 minutes before she wrote it :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Irrespective of the details, my point stands.

Had the match been called off early, and then an earlier thaw, or earlier rain, or heavier rain, or, or, or ......

It is possible that we would have been moaning about the decision being made in haste.

Would those complaining about the delay in those circumstances then be on here defending UR?

I think not.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Cap'n- was the chance that the game would have gone ahead by delaying the decison really improved by waiting? Did they themselves not take a chance on a series of favourable weather changes during the afternoon.

I suspect that the problems lay outside the ground and frankly cannot see that delaying the decision for a few hours made any difference to what was outside of UR control anyway. I also suspect that Setanta had a say in the delay.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

The condition of the pitch was only one factor. The safety of fans travelling to and from the game was also a major issue. Conditions in the west were worse in the afternoon than in the morning and there was no rain here until late last night.
The decision was the right one.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Thanks CT - I knew you wouldn't let me down. You've won me a tenner!
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

I'm with CT on this one not that we agree very often

but given the amount of snow and the road conditions and the advice to drive only if the journey was necessary

I think a man on a white Charger could have seen at 9 30 am that the snow would be still there at Kick off

but I'm also willing to accept that UR may not have had the sole authority in the decision

but I think the referee should have given a clear indictation that the welfare of players and spectators must take precedence over the needs of TV schedules
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

bb- Thanks. Worth so much more than a tenner of anyones money just to see us agree on some things. Now this is twice within the last month so be careful that we don't make a habit of it otherwise we will have to include each other in our friends box.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

ps Does anyone know what the Magners League procedures/guidelines actually are in terms of the cancellation of matches. A link anyone?