Matt McCullough Staying

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Matt McCullough Staying

Post by scrum5 »

Matt McCullough has signed a new contract keeping him at Ulster Rugby till 2010, also Cave, Henry and Philpott have committed themselves to Ulster. After all the dome and gloom of the early season things seam to be coming good. The last 2 matches hopefully have proved that we have turned the corner, so it's UPWARDS AND ONWARDS FOR THE ULSTERMEN
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Matt McCullough Staying

Post by Rooster »

McCullough agrees new deal
3 March 2008, 5:13 pm
By Anne Perry
Ulster power house Matt McCullough has agreed a new contract which will see him remain at Ravenhill until 2010.

The Ballymena man who was Man of the Match in Ulster’s hard fought victory over the Scarlets on Friday night is delighted to be staying, saying this about his decision

“I am delighted with the way things are going within the squad and I am excited about the future under Matt Williams. We have had a difficult 18 months but since Williams has taken charge the players are excited about the future and we feel that we have hopefully turned a corner.

Now we can start to achieve what we have been aiming for, we will take stock in the summer and reassess our goals but I am determined that we are going to bring back "Fortress Ravenhill", we need to build that back up. I am looking forward to pulling on the Ulster jersey again and again as it means so much to me”

Educated at Ballymena Academy and Trinity College Dublin, Matt McCullough was contracted to Ulster Rugby at the beginning of the 2001-02 season. An all-round sportsman, Matt represented Ballymena Academy in two Ulster Schools Cup Rugby Finals, two Ulster Schools Cup Cricket Finals and two Ulster Schools Cup Golf Finals.

A mainstay of the Ulster pack, Matt has represented Ireland at Schools, U21 (Captain 2001-02), A and full international level. Matt's outstanding performances for Ulster saw him win his first Ireland A cap in March 2005 against France A and he was promoted to the Senior squad for the summer tour to Japan where he won his first two full caps. He came on as a second half substitute in Ireland's 2005 Autumn Internationals against New Zealand and Australia and was part of the Ireland A squad that participated in the Churchill Cup in June 2006.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Off the Top
Initiate

Post by Off the Top »

This is brilliant news.

As McCullough will find it difficult to break into the Ireland squad he will be invaluable to us over the next 2 years.

Well done Matt Williams!
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Great news. His performances in recent weeks have really shown his worth to Ulster. He's showed a lot of passion for the shirt, on the park and off it. As has been said, he could well prove invaluable to Ulster in the coming seasons.

Also great news that Cave and Henry have both re-signed. I think Henry may well have felt that he has been unfairly treated this season, with Webb being brought in as cover at 8 when Wilson and Ferris went down. I've heard great things about Henry in the AIL, so hopefully we'll see him in an Ulster shirt before long. Similiarly, Cave hasn't had many chances this season but he has bags and bags of potential and could well form a hell of a midfield along with Trimble in the coming seasons.
Last edited by Neil F on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

Well done Matt McC, very good news, some solid performances of late, and many a solid performance as well in seasons gone by.
I am looking forward to pulling on the Ulster jersey again and again as it means so much to me
Says a lot :salut:
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
Captain Chaos
Initiate

Post by Captain Chaos »

Good news. Sounds like a few others have been given prof contracts...we are starting to see the shape of New Ulster under Williams. Who are the big signings going to be though?
"You can't please all the people all the time!" Mr. Robert Marley
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Captain Chaos wrote:Good news. Sounds like a few others have been given prof contracts...we are starting to see the shape of New Ulster under Williams. Who are the big signings going to be though?

Who says we need them?
Delighted to have Matt staying!
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

HOORAY

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Super news- onwards and upwards!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

Colzo wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:Good news. Sounds like a few others have been given prof contracts...we are starting to see the shape of New Ulster under Williams. Who are the big signings going to be though?

Who says we need them?
Delighted to have Matt staying!
So suddenly - cos a guy who many were saying earlier in the season shouldn't be in the team - signs a new contact we don't need to sign anyone?

Great, let's stay a mediocre ML team and never again qualify for the HEC knockout stages
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Many of us have maintained that Matt should be a constant starter.

Not all big names are good players. Deccie Fitz is a solid tighthead and Court showed he's a decent backup. There's front row sorted.
One new second row
Won't need a new backrow player - Henry has signed.
SH is fine.
OH maybe bring in Ian if we can - NOC will learn with experience.
Cave can cover centre and wing.
Will need a fullback to cover Bryn.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Top bloke, top player, top result :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

There is going to need to be quite a few new signings to bring the squad up to about 40 which seems to be the standard.

Even if you assume that most of the fringe players are retained (like Mallon, McKenzie etc.) that still leaves Ulster about 6-7 players short of 40. A number of academy players may get upgrades to development contracts, but I reckon we'll need 4 or 5 signings from overseas, or other provinces.
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

So we now need players, Colzo?

And if you seriously think that squad can top an HEC group then LOL!
majordave
Novice

Post by majordave »

very pleased Matt McC has signed. he seems to have rediscovered his form, thankfully. and long may that continue. still think hes a 2nd row btw, dont see his future at 6, or 8. despite his performance against llanelli, just dont think he has the pace.

we need new signings, yes. but its more important that we keep the good players we've got first. we need stability.