Ulster A vs Connaght A

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Ulster A vs Connaght A

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Interesting new comer at number 10 - I foresee a long and glittering career...
Humphreys named in Ulster A team to take on Connacht A
6 March 2008, 3:22 pm
By Anne Perry

David Humphreys returns to action for Ulster A next week against Connacht A....

Ulster A Manager Gary Longwell has today named his side to take on Connacht A at Enniskillen RFC on Tuesday 11th March, KO, 5pm.
The Ulster A side which is proudly supported by the Ulster Bank features 4 Ulster Rugby Academy players and one club player with the all other players named professional Ulster players.

Ulster and Ireland Legend David Humphreys returns from injury to line up alongside former Methody scrumhalf Paul Marshall in the half backs. At full back Bryn Cunningham will provide a safe pair of hands under any high ball with Mark McCrea and Paul McKenzie named on the wings. Scottish International Rob Dewey returns from a knee injury and will partner former Irish U20s centre Darren Cave in the mid field.

Chris Henry who signed his professional contract this week is named as Captain and has experienced players Roger Wilson and Grant Webb alongside him in the back row.

Tickets will be available on the gate at Enniskillen RFC.

The Connacht A team will be announced in due course.

Ulster A Team: (15-9)B Cunningham; M McCrea, D Cave, R Dewey, P McKenzie, D Humphreys, P Marshall;
(1-8) J Fitzpatrick, D McGregor*, T Court, F Paulo, S McDonald*, C Henry (Captain),G Webb, R Wilson

Replacements (16-22)J Carey; C Heeny (Rainey); N Conlin, M McCullough, D Drake*, K Hallett, S Mallon, I Whitten*, M Kettyle

* Ulster Rugby Academy

Last edited by The Boo Radleys on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster A vs Connaght A

Post by ColinS »

Nice to see Chris Henry as captain, and good to see Rob Dewey back from injury.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Strong looking side.
Don't think that cub at 10 will ever be up to much.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Also nice to see that this game has gone outside Belfast. I wonder what they've done to promote it locally?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Very strong looking side, would be good to see that backline run in a few tries.

Three no8's as well :D
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

The backrow looks odd - personally, I'd have thought WIlson would have slotted in better at openside than Webb? Good to see Dewey back - he shouldn't have been playing earlier in the season. Hopefully now we'll get a chance to see a fully fit Dewey at his best. Dewey and Trimble could form one hell of a partnership for next season.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Was up having lunch at newforge today and watched the guys training. The backs were doing sprints and jeez Dewey is slow
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Would imagine he isn't giving it 100% yet. He's not that slow, but he's no flyer either.
17 stone at medium-fast pace is still hard to stop.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Read in a newspaper article that Dewey once did have devestating pace but has put on so much muscle he has lost it all.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

cjp wrote:Read in a newspaper article that Dewey once did have devestating pace but has put on so much muscle* he has lost it all.
Similar to meself.

* fat
bootlace

Post by bootlace »

How do you think the 2nd rows will do,most other names I'm familar with,any info appreciated
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Very well Bootlace, Filo Paulo proved in pre-season that he is a very good player.
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

Connacht 'A' have announced their side to face Ulster 'A' in Enniskillen on Tuesday (kick off: 5pm).

Nine Galwegians are named in the starting line up as the AIB League semi finalists get some game time in ahead of their match against Shannon on Saturday. Peter Durcan starts at full back, with Tim Donnelly named at number ten. He is joined at half back by Robbie Shaw, while Liam Bibo is named on the right wing with either Darren Yapp or Daniel Riordan named on the left, injury depending.

The centre partnership of Keith Mathews and Connemara's Troy Nathan looks very exciting on paper, but they'll have their work cut our for them in midfield facing Scotland's Rob Dewey and former Ireland U-20 international, Darren Cave of Ulster

In the forwards, there is an all Galwegian front five, with former Ireland A loosehead prop John Lyne being joined by former Ireland underage internationals Joe Merrigan and Ronan Loughney. In the second row Joe Moran and Andrew Browne start while in the backrow, David Gannon starts at number eight, with Colm Rigney playing blindside flanker and Liam Casserly playing openside.

Among the replacements, Ireland U-19 internationals, John O'Brien and Dermot Murphy are included for the first time along with Buccaneers Alan Gaughan and Connacht's record try scorer Conor McPhillips. Connacht have also selected two props, in Kevin Moran and Brian McGovern and the replacement hooker is Conor Muldoon.

Connacht 'A':
P Durcan; L Bibo, T Nathan, K Matthews, D Yapp/D Riordan; T Donnelly, R Shaw; J Lyne, J Merrigan, R Loughney; J Moran, A Browne; C Rigney, L Casserly, D Gannon.

Replacements:
C Muldoon, K Moran, B McGovern, D Murphy, C McPhillips, A Gaughan, J O'Brien.
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Ulster Fly Half David Humphreys has had to withdraw from the Ulster A side that will play Connacht A in Enniskillen later on today.
Humphreys underwent a late fitness test today and the Ulster Medical team deemed him unable to play. This is the latest blow for Humphreys who has not played a game of rugby since Ulster’s victory over Bourgoin at Ravenhill.

Kieran Hallett will start at fly half and as an extra back was named in the squad initially no new players will be added to the squad.

Hopefully we will see the great man play again before he retires at the end of the season.....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
roxy
Novice

Post by roxy »

Does anyone know the score to this match?