New Players........

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

New Players........

Post by pip14 »

The New zealand rugby union and Australian Rugby union are almost completely BROKE now and nearly all players are heading towards the UK. For the likes of Dan Carter and Mike Gateau they are asking £500,000+ per year :shock: Ulster should look for Fijians or Samoans in my opinion as im sure we could get good players on contract, on a good salary (not outragous) per year. Any players you would like Ulster to make bids for...... within reason!!!

These highly paid contracts are spoiling Rugby and soon will have a similar structure to football
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: New Players........

Post by fuzzylogic »

How about one of those huge georgan props who caused ireland so many problems in the WC, im sure they wouldnt cost too much!

On the topic of SH players i would imagine if any with the MW connection we would be seeing an Australian or two.

How about a Fava and Giteau coming over from the force!

But unfortunatly in our current position i dont see us signing any regular big name internationals!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Anyone of these : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiji_natio ... union_team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But unfortunetly With out current form no players will want to play for Ulster.........
Last edited by pip14 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Fuzzy, those Georgian props are bedding down either side of Ledesma or Smit at Clermont.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

pip14 wrote:The New zealand rugby union and Australian Rugby union are almost completely BROKE now and nearly all players are heading towards the UK. For the likes of Dan Carter and Mike Gateau they are asking £500,000+ per year :shock:
Think they are pushing it with those figures as the present highest are around £350k for Chris Jack, Carl Heyman etc.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

theres a couple floating around lower teams that played in the world cup, metro paris and montauban!

i do have some reservations about them coming to ulster, i wouldnt be able to pronounce there names for a start, "come on Magrakvelidze" just doesnt quite roll of the tongue as easy as "run tommy"

And rumour has it on the lecister and bbc forums that with the salary cap rising by £1,000,000 next season carter amongst others could be offered £700,000+ to come over!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Madness, all these high paid wages are spoiling the game.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Paper talk - as Rooster mention £350,00 is about top dollar at the moment. Can't see anyone over £400,000 next year. Even at a club like Leicester the figures don't add up.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I wouldn't mind Greg Somerville to play Tighthead for us, he said he'd like to move to europe sometime soon and he is a brilliant player for the crusaders. Ian Humphreys should come back and a backrower or lock, maybe even Donnacha Ryan from Munster considering he is not getting any gametime
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fuzzylogic wrote: And rumour has it on the lecister and bbc forums that with the salary cap rising by £1,000,000 next season carter amongst others could be offered £700,000+ to come over!
There was mention of £1 million salaries, but then on further look that was for 3 seasons so a £700k may well be correct for Carter but I would expect it is a 2 season contract at £350k per season.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Big Al, Donnacha Ryan is a player I wouldn't say no to myself; it makes sense for Ulster, Munster and Ryan to move north for a couple of season. Realistically, he'll only have Del Fava and Caldwell ahead of him at Ulster, so his chances of making the 22 and XV would be much higher than at Munster where he's got O'Connell, O'Callaghan and O'Driscoll ahead of him in the pecking order. In Caldwell and Del Fava, Ulster have their two preferred starting locks but will be losing Harrison at the end of this season and need solid cover. With McCullough, currently at least, being considered more often as a backrow than a second row, Ryan would be pretty much assured of more game time with Ulster than he'll get at Munster. That said, if Ryan fulfills potential, he could well be a big loss when Munster decide they want him back. I think we could do a lot worse than Ryan to fill our needs for the next couple of seasons though.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

im sure Greg Somerville is a loosehead, would still be a good asset as a strong TH will be extremely hard to find during the off season.

As for Leicester and the salary cap, as far as im aware they manage to get round it by giving players token jobs with Bradstone and paying them substantial salaries through that. Which obviously makes them very hard to compete with, that said surely they can't afford Carter and Hernandez.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

chunky wrote:
As for Leicester and the salary cap, as far as im aware they manage to get round it by giving players token jobs with Bradstone and paying them substantial salaries through that. Which obviously makes them very hard to compete with, that said surely they can't afford Carter and Hernandez.
There is a legal tax loophole where the club pays money to an offshore company owned by the player for the player's image rights, and this does not appear on the club's books as wages and is more tax efficient for both the club and the player.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Think they have a chance of getting Hernandez from Stade Francais at the end of this season as his contract has a get out clause, if they get him I doubt that they would be after Carter as well, but you never know they might play Hernandez at fullback.
Rory Best
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I dont think their is any way Hernandez will settle for FB. To me that means its one or the other not both.