New Players........

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: New Players........

Post by againstthehead »

Got to remember though:
A. World class players don't come along very often
B. World class players that would consider signing for Ulster are even more rare....

Consequently, if someone like Mortlock could be enticed to Ravenhill, then I believe you have to grab them with both hands. I'd rather have 1 mortlock than 2-3 journey men any day.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Mad Dod
Initiate

Post by Mad Dod »

againstthehead wrote:Got to remember though:
A. World class players don't come along very often
B. World class players that would consider signing for Ulster are even more rare....

Consequently, if someone like Mortlock could be enticed to Ravenhill, then I believe you have to grab them with both hands. I'd rather have 1 mortlock than 2-3 journey men any day.
Yes, but as Gerry says, the likes of George Smith and Phil Waugh (Smith being one of the best open-sides in the world) would be far more useful signings than Mortlock, considering flanker is one of the positions we are not yet stable in.
Whilst it would be great to get Mortlock, centre is not a position we are lacking in.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Pollock will shine this season, i have a feeling that with some of the old dogs away the youngsters with flourish, just like when Arsenal lost Henry last season and they took the premiership by storm
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

Big-al wrote:Pollock will shine this season, i have a feeling that with some of the old dogs away the youngsters with flourish, just like when Arsenal lost Henry last season and they took the premiership by storm
:scratch: Tongue firmly in cheek there Big-al? :lol:
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Glynncommando wrote:
Big-al wrote:Pollock will shine this season, i have a feeling that with some of the old dogs away the youngsters with flourish, just like when Arsenal lost Henry last season and they took the premiership by storm
:scratch: Tongue firmly in cheek there Big-al? :lol:
GC
I was correct though wasn't I, Our youngsters have flourished
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

lets see how the 2nd half of the season goes

We were woeful at the start of the season but since mid October have played really well in spells, now we need to push up the table in the league
UlsterJock
Initiate

Post by UlsterJock »

Over the course of the season there has been much debate re the pros & cons of Boss at SH. It has been a long standing one and come up in various threads, an extract purely as an example:

New Players........
bigchiefally on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:25 am
bogboy on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:42 pm
Rooster on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 pm

Isaac Boss - why bother
Lisburnsooty on Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:45 pm
BR on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:57 pm
Neil F on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm
UlsterJock on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:38 pm

Right through to present day:

Stade v Ulster - the radio thread
Red Hand Hero on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:40 pm
scrum5 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 pm

A common denominator throughout is the variable level of performance.. Imo the majority of the positions are becoming clearer as to their pecking order and consistency of performance, the vital position to have sorted for next season is SH (Willis is with us on a 12 month deal). Can we afford to have such up/down performances at SH next season? The answer has to be “No”..therefore we need some strong competition to bring out the best in people and raise the bar in this key position. Does this mean the re-signing of Willis? If he is fit and we are able to then; ”yes”, because I believe he is capable and when he was competing for the jersey it brought out the best in both him and Boss. To have just PM and IB is not the answer. If he is not available, then now is the time to be putting on the sorting hat......
matinahat.JPG
matinahat.JPG (5.61 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.
ulstergal09
Novice

Post by ulstergal09 »

UlsterJock wrote:A common denominator throughout is the variable level of performance.. Imo the majority of the positions are becoming clearer as to their pecking order and consistency of performance, the vital position to have sorted for next season is SH (Willis is with us on a 12 month deal). Can we afford to have such up/down performances at SH next season? The answer has to be “No”..therefore we need some strong competition to bring out the best in people and raise the bar in this key position. Does this mean the re-signing of Willis? If he is fit and we are able to then; ”yes”, because I believe he is capable and when he was competing for the jersey it brought out the best in both him and Boss. To have just PM and IB is not the answer. If he is not available, then now is the time to be putting on the sorting hat......
Last I heard, Willis was still hoping to extend his 1 year contract with Ulster, but I don't know what the situation is with that now.. I agree with you UJ, as I thought he proved to be a good signing and the extra competition for the no. 9 shirt brought out the best of Isaac.. It will be interesting to see what happens once Willis’ plans for next season are revealed.. IMO, Willis has been the better SH so far this season - don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Boss, and think he is a good player - but I just think that Willis has been more consistent this year.. Marshall looked pretty good against Stade on Saturday, so if Willis does stay, I think the position of SH is sorted for Ulster.. I would be looking for another fly-half and winger (if the rumours about Danielli leaving are true), but I just don't know who yet.. :roll: :lol:
"No leadership, no ideas. Not even enough imagination to thump someone in the line-up when the ref wasn't looking."