Absent friends - cables

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Absent friends - cables

Post by fermain »

[tag=image]download/file.php?id=1988[/tag][tag=content]It is with deep sadness, that we heard the news that Stanley Philips, aka 'cables', passed away on Friday night. Although having met cables only a few times, I have spoken to him often through the medium of the web and this messageboard, although our correspondence has gone on for longer than that. I recall cables from the early incarnations of the original Irish and Ulster rugby messageboards, and all the way through their demise. cables was a regular poster and came to be seen as an expert on Irish Rugby history, in particular Ulster rugby, his objective being to get a full Ulster Rugby record back to WWII. His encyclopaedic knowledge came across every time he posted. However, this was a man who not only enjoyed being able to confound and stump us with his questions and answers on Ulster trivia, but he had a sharp and dry wit which many appreciated every time he posted.

cables was a founding member of not only this web site/ messageboard, but also of the URSC, where he was a committee member, worked as an advisor in drafting the URSC constitution and brought order, governance and detail to URSC meetings. As mentioned previously he was also a predominant poster on the Ulster and IRFU boards to name a couple.

cables spent his time, and life devoted to Ulster rugby, watching them week in week out, and stood amongst us on the prom, where many supporters would surely recognise him and his distinctive looks. cables kept particular note of the records of Ulster rugby, and over time built up a huge knowledge base of data -statistics on players, matches and competitions. His records were so accurate that journalists and UR used cables to check their own source.
cables was a self-taught computer expert. On this website, cables wrote many of our competition questions, provided match day statistics, player statistics, and league table positions which were more accurate than any official source I could have used. When the 1st Celtic League fantasy managers game was introduced, the Fantasy Magners League, the league was run by an excel spreadsheet which cables produced, the most complicated spreadsheet imaginable, which calculated scores and points for players based on entrants choices [on a spreadsheet] and produced an accurate table which was the bedrock of the league. And all before the use of database driven tables were used for similar fantasy Celtic League games. His investigative nature also spotted errors with our predictions league calculations which of course he immediately pointed out.

In all this time, cables not only found the time to enlighten us with his factual compositions, but he brought to account the statisticians of UR on more than one occasion. Who can forget when he helped Justin Fitzpatrick be rightfully recognised for his 50th cap for Ulster as he corrected ERC’s mistake (and Ulster rugby’s) on the number of Heineken Cup caps Justin had gained – he went from 49-51 in one game because, as cables pointed out, they had wrongly attributed one of his caps to Deccie Fitzpatrick. This was gratefully acknowledged by Justin who phoned cables to thank him when he found out and who had helped him.
Another occasion, cables identified that Nigel Brady has 1 more cap than UR say, and again Nigel thanked him on the pitch at Ravenhill.

cables didn’t let things get him down. He had had previous heart problems, but still enjoyed a smoke and a drink, known for his love of the famous Grouse, and he wanted to enjoy what time he had left, even it was short, rather than be miserable and live for longer.

Not only was cables respected, but he showed respect – he may not agree with or share others’ beliefs, but he defended their right to adhere to them (UNLESS he detected any sign of hypocrisy, in which case he was more than capable of exposing it). cables was an ambassador for the way people should interact with each other on this and any forum. cables is going to be sadly missed, by me and many others on the terrace at Ravenhill, and on this site where he made friends through his writing, and we will always remember him fondly. Every time I post I will wonder, ''what would cables think?''.

I will leave you all with a selection of questions posed by cables some used others not on this website over the years. By clicking on the banner of the web site, you will be taken to a link to all of cables' posts where you can read the man at his best.

Our heartfelt condolences and respect go to his wife Margaret and family during this difficult time.

And here’s to cables, where he will no doubt be sitting, reading our board, with a large Grouse on ice in his celestial hand.

The UAFC team.

from cableservices;

Who was the first Ulster player to achieve 100 Ulster caps?
When did David Humphreys score a try and 4 conversions in a game against Ulster?
Name ALL the brothers that have played for Ulster since 1995
Name the brothers who played for Ireland in the professional era
Who is the only Ulster player to score 3 tries in a single Heiny game?
Which Ulsterman that captained Ireland scored most points against Italy while captain?[/tag]
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Absent friends - cables

Post by jackthelad »

I'm so very saddened by this awful news. He was a wonderful poster and I'm sure a great guy. We will all miss him terribly. The world is a much emptier place without his constant good wit and wondrous knowledge. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Jacko
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bump
uafcadmin
Novice

Post by uafcadmin »

As a lasting memory of cables, we intend to make a page, navigable from the left hand side menu that will take you to a page dedicated to the man himself. Once this is complete, we will also link to his many posts, which tells a story about a man and his dedication to Ulster rugby, someone who loved to get involved and give something back to the community he enjoyed being in.

We have also set up a Just Giving page, linked to CRY, Cardiac Risk in the Young, which was the avatar cables used for his profile on the board. We have done so with the blessing of his family who think it is an appropriate way to remember Stanley who made his presence felt beyond this messageboard. Please take the time to give generously.

https://www.justgiving.com/cables
"Remember lads, there's no retreat. No more talk now. Just make peace with yourselves." :red:
LJ2803
Novice

Post by LJ2803 »

Awk sad ... He worked with my dad and I never knew it
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTER MEN
excathedra
Novice

Post by excathedra »

So sad to make the connection between "cables" and Stanley. As a lurker only on the forum, I've always read his posts with interest- only to discover now that I've been standing beside him at home games for years.

I love that spot on the yellow brick road. He stood on the prom in the rain even though he had a seat up above behind the media folks.

His insight, stories of short breaks and adventures following UR on away trips will be missed.

Sincere sympathy and prayers to all of Stanley's family