Match Preview: Ulster Rugby vs Newport-Gwent Dragons

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Match Preview: Ulster Rugby vs Newport-Gwent Dragons

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... _badge.png[/tag][tag=content]Okay, I’ve seen better performances from AIL teams than I did from Ulster last Sunday.

Quite aptly, Baggy was frequently posting a picture of Nigel Wray on the board in the build-up to the game. We played very similarly to that picture, and we were extremely lucky to come away with the four points from the Stadio di Monigo. To put it simply: we were extremely poor, and if we have any real aspirations of winning the league then we need to be putting these teams away a lot easier than we do.

Maybe it’s lucky then that we face the Newport-Gwent Dragons tomorrow rather than one of our play-off rivals. Not to belittle our opponents, because after all we have lost to them already this season, but they will not pose the sorts of questions that the likes of the Ospreys or Glasgow will. That said, we still have to be on the ball unless we want the result to go the same way as it did in September.

Nevertheless, like last weekend we should have more than enough to win this weekend, and backed by the Ravenhill faithful you would expect Ulster to get the four points again. And with Paddy Jackson back to partner Ruan Pienaar at half back (something which will go down very well on here!) there is definitely the possibility of a bonus point being achieved too – one that would be gladly welcomed.

But as I said, don’t underestimate the Dragons. They did us an absolutely massive favour last weekend by defeating Glasgow at Rodney Parade and at the same time proved that they can punch above their weight. Under the new European format they are very much pushing for one of the final qualifying spots for next season’s Heineken Cup (or whatever it may be called) and what better way to show their credentials than by stealing a win at Ravenhill?

Director of Rugby Lyn Jones has done a remarkable job in Newport and has converted them into a very strong team. The recapture of out-half Jason Tovey has rejuvenated the Dragons and they have been transformed from bottom of the table lackeys to a mid-table banana skin team. Full credit to Jones and his coaching staff – the work they are doing is not too dissimilar to what David Humphreys has done with us, so watch this space.

However, that’s all for the future, and in the present we are the side pushing for a play-off place, so this is another must-win game for us. For all our failings last weekend, even though we played terribly we still got the win, and sometimes that is the sign of a good team – Leinster have perfected it over the years, and now maybe we can replicate that. Although a few comfortable four try wins wouldn’t go amiss either!

Mark Anscombe has made five changes to the side that took on Treviso last weekend, most notably the return of Tommy Bowe from injury on the wing. There is a first start for Rory Scholes on the opposite wing as both Craig Gilroy and Michael Allen drop out of the matchday squad altogether. Paddy Jackson and Iain Henderson both return to the starting line-up in place of Paul Marshall and Lewis Stevenson respectively after being released from international duty, while the other change comes at loosehead prop as Callum Black comes in for Tom Court. Stuart McCloskey could make his first appearance for the province should he come on off the bench.

The Dragons’ team also features five changes to the side that defeated Glasgow last Sunday. Winger Will Harries misses out on the trip after being concussed in last week’s win so he is replaced by Ross Wardle while key man Jason Tovey is only on the bench due to a minor injury with Steffan Jones partnering Richie Rees at half-back. Full-back Rhys Jones is given a start at full-back after impressing last week. Wales international lock Andrew Coombs picked up an injury in training on Wednesday with Matthew Screech starting instead, while there is a first start for on-loan prop Bruce Douglas at tighthead prop.

Back in Belfast with a few of our internationals back too, my confidence is a little higher than it was on Monday morning – although it’s never very high on Monday morning anyway – and I’m looking forward to getting my first glimpse of the new grandstand, ugly as some may think it is. As a result, I am expecting a comfortable win, possibly with the try bonus point.

I did say that last week though, and look how that turned out…

Ulster Rugby vs. Newport-Gwent Dragons
Friday 28th February, 19:05
Ravenhill
RaboDirect Pro12 – Round 16

ULSTER RUGBY
15. Jared Payne, 14. Tommy Bowe, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Rory Scholes, 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Ruan Pienaar; 1. Callum Black, 2. Rob Herring, 3. Ricky Lutton, 4. Johann Muller (capt.), 5. Iain Henderson, 6. Robbie Diack, 7. Sean Doyle, 8. Roger Wilson.

16. Niall Annett, 17. Tom Court, 18. Adam Macklin, 19. Lewis Stevenson, 20. Mike McComish, 21. Paul Marshall, 22. Stuart McCloskey, 23. David McIlwaine.

NEWPORT-GWENT DRAGONS
15. Rhys Jones, 14. Matthew Pewtner, 13. Pat Leach, 12. Ashley Smith (capt.), 11. Ross Wardle, 10. Steffan Jones, 9. Richie Rees; 1. Owen A Evans, 2. T Rhys Thomas, 3. Bruce Douglas, 4. Matthew Screech, 5. Cory Hill, 6. Jevon Groves, 7. Nic Cudd, 8. Lewis Evans.

16. Hugh Gustafson, 17. Phil Price, 18. Duncan Bell, 19. Rob Sidoli, 20. Ieuan Jones, 21. Wayne Evans, 22. Jason Tovey, 23. Jack Dixon.

Referee: Lloyd Linton (SRU, 3rd competition game)
Assistant Referees: Nigel Correll, John Carvill (both IRFU)
Citing Commissioner: Gordon Black (IRFU)
TMO: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)[/tag]