Match Preview: Cardiff Blues v Ulster Rugby

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Match Preview: Cardiff Blues v Ulster Rugby

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://cdn.soticservers.net/tools/image ... 250/14.png[/tag][tag=content]Let’s be honest, this is the game before the game we all care about.

Tomorrow’s game is the equivalent of the warm-up act before the headliner comes out to play their concert – you’ll watch them and you’ll enjoy it if they’re good, but really they’re just the filler before the main event. And I’m not sure many would disagree with that metaphor – all eyes are on Saracens in a week’s time. I think right now everyone would take a defeat and a clean bill of health tomorrow than a bonus point win and three key injuries.

That’s of course meaning no disrespect to Cardiff, who I myself quite like as a club, as they will be a tough prospect at the Cardiff Arms Park. Even though they’ve lost three key men in Sam Warburton, Rhys Patchell and Leigh Halfpenny, all to long term injuries, they are one of those sides that can be very difficult to break down, especially whenever you’re not playing to your full capabilities.

Don’t forget, they have two Lions among their ranks too in Alex Cuthbert and Gethin Jenkins, and we’ll become very well acquainted with the strong running of Robin Copeland over the next few seasons whenever he moves down south to Munster. Of course they’re also able to call on a familiar face to help in Filo Paulo as well, and while he’s been away too long to have any “insider” knowledge (if he actually had any in the first place) he’s been in pretty good form for the Blues and will be a dangerous player for them.

But they are in the midst of difficulties, and even though I try to stray away from mentioned the downfalls of other sides, it’s unavoidable to say what a mess the Cardiff Blues are in. Demolished by regional rivals the Ospreys last week and facing a lot of questions from fans over where the team is heading, things are looking slightly bleak for the Blues. Having lost Copeland, Halfpenny and Bradley Davies for next season, they don’t look like improving much next season either, and although they place a lot of blame on the ERC and their union, the truth is the regions aren’t doing much to help themselves either.

Time for us to take advantage and get another bonus point win on the board. Even though last week wasn’t the greatest game for several reasons, it’s another win chalked up and we are now slowly closing in on Leinster and Munster at the top, and should we win on Saturday we could pass Munster into second, providing Leinster defeat them at the Aviva an hour and a half later. After our first two games of the season, it’s incredible we’re still pushing for top spot.

And it’s not an unrealistic goal either. We still have Leinster to come to Ravenhill and a journey to Limerick to look forward to on the last day of the regular season so there are chances to knock our rivals down a few pegs. However this week is solely about getting our team out and playing together again before next week’s massive Heineken Cup quarter-final, and making sure we are in the right place to be tackling Saracens on the 5th April.

In that vein, Anscombe welcomes back two of his Irish internationals in Chris Henry and Andrew Trimble to the starting line-up after their enforced rest period last week. They replace Sean Doyle and Craig Gilroy respectively and are two of four changes made by the Ulster coach, the other two seeing Iain Henderson replaced by Dan Tuohy in the second row and Roger Wilson dropping to the bench with Nick Williams returning to the starting line-up.

On the other hand there are six changes for Cardiff after last week’s defeat to the Ospreys with lock Lou Reed making his 100th appearance for the region. In the backs an injury to Harry Robinson on the wing means Chris Czekaj comes into the team along with Isaia Tuifua at centre who replaces Gavin Evans. Lewis Jones also comes in for Lloyd Williams at scrum-half. Up front there are three more changes with Kristian Dacey returning at hooker instead of Rhys Williams, with centurion man Lou Reed coming in for Chris Dicomidis in the second row. Macauley Cook replaces Ellis Jenkins at blindside flanker as the final change. Matthew Rees is named on the bench for the first time since being ruled out for medical reasons in October.

Just one week to go…oh sorry, one day to go I mean. Even though the excitement is already building for next Saturday, there is still a job to be done tomorrow and I’m sure Mark will be focused on getting it done properly. At this stage of the season there is no room for slip ups, especially when there’s still everything to play for in both competitions.

2014 has been good so far – let’s hope it continues in that vein.

Cardiff Blues vs. Ulster Rugby
Saturday 29th March, 18:30
Cardiff Arms Park
RaboDirect Pro12 – Round 18

CARDIFF BLUES
15. Dan Fish, 14. Alex Cuthbert, 13. Cory Allen, 12. Isaia Tuifua, 11. Chris Czekaj, 10. Gareth Davies, 9. Lewis Jones; 1. Gethin Jenkins (capt), 2. Kristian Dacey, 3. Taufa’ao Filise, 4. Lou Reed, 5. Filo Paulo, 6. Macauley Cook, 7. Josh Navidi, 8. Robin Copeland.

16. Matthew Rees, 17. Thomas Davies, 18. Scott Andrews, 19. James Down, 20. Ellis Jenkins, 21. Lloyd Williams, 22. Sam Humberstone, 23. Chris Czekaj.

ULSTER RUGBY
15. Jared Payne, 14. Andrew Trimble, 13. Darren Cave, 12. Luke Marshall, 11. Tommy Bowe, 10. Paddy Jackson, 9. Michael Heaney; 1. Tom Court, 2. Rob Herring, 3. John Afoa, 4. Johann Muller (capt), 5. Dan Tuohy, 6. Stephen Ferris, 7. Chris Henry, 8. Nick Williams.

16. Rob Herring, 17. Andrew Warwick, 18. Ricky Lutton, 19. Iain Henderson, 20. Robbie Diack, 21. Sean Doyle, 22. Paul Marshall, 23. Craig Gilroy.

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 25th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Gwyn Morris, Sean Bricknell (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Russell Howell (WRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)[/tag]
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Match Preview: Cardiff Blues v Ulster Rugby

Post by Russ »

STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk