Darren Cave signs new three-year deal

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Darren Cave signs new three-year deal

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/50 ... 0x400.jpeg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster centre Darren Cave has signed a new three-year contract with the province which will see him stay at the Kingspan Stadium until 2018.

The contract is a joint contract with the IRFU, and Cave is the second player to commit his future to Ulster under new team manager Bryn Cunningham following the announcement of Tommy Bowe’s new deal in November.

Cave, 27, made his debut for Ulster in 2007 against the Border Reivers and has gone on to make 144 appearances for the Belfast club in the Celtic League and the European Cup, scoring 152 points in the process.

The centre has also represented Ireland on eight occasions, most recently against Georgia in the November Test series, as well as appearing 11 times for the Ireland ‘A’ side.

In recent seasons Cave has had to compete with Jared Payne for the 13 jersey, however an extended run of games has seen the former Sullivan Upper man take the man of the match award in Ulster’s last two home games.

“I am delighted to be staying with Ulster until at least 2018,” Cave said on his new deal. “I have total faith in the coaching and management set-up we have and I am excited about what this group can achieve in the coming seasons.

“The support that we get, particularly at the Kingspan Stadium, never ceases to amaze me and as someone who was brought up supporting Ulster, it’s a pleasure to be involved for the next three and a half years.”

Bryn Cunningham, Ulster’s team manager, also spoke of his delight in the deal, and mentioned how the fans’ favourite had potential suitors from elsewhere.

“Darren has been one of Ulster’s most consistent performers over the last number of seasons,” he said. “Aside from his considerable try scoring record, his defensive organisation is outstanding in what can be the most difficult channel to defend.

“His performance on Saturday, in which he scored one try and set up another, highlights Darren’s importance to the squad. With undoubted interest from other quarters, we are delighted to retain his services for at least three more years.”[/tag]