Herring signs on for two more years

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Herring signs on for two more years

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M047 ... =4&pid=1.1[/tag][tag=content]Ulster have announced that hooker Rob Herring has extended his contract by a further two years and will remain at the Kingspan Stadium until at least the summer of 2018.

The news comes a week after fellow hooker Rory Best agreed a two-year extension with the province and solidifies Ulster’s hooking partnership for the next few years.

Herring, 25, has played 79 times for Ulster since he made his debut against Glasgow Warriors back in August 2012 and has scored three tries for his province.

Herring has also been called up to several international training camps and made his international debut off the bench against Argentina in June 2014. He was also included in Ireland’s extended squad for the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Most recently he was named Ulster’s captain during the World Cup period and has started seven games so far this season.

“I’m very happy to be staying,” Herring said on his extension. “The last three years have gone really quickly for me and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

“It’s particularly enjoyable playing at the Kingspan Stadium in front of our home crowd – you can’t ask for a better stadium to play at.

“Captaining Ulster while Rory was away at the World Cup was a massive highlight for me and it was a proud moment that I’ll remember forever.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Ulster over the past three seasons. It’s a top side in Europe and in the PRO12 and we’re always pushing to win competitions, so it’s a great place for me to be.”

Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss also expressed his excitement to have Herring sign on for the future.

“I’m delighted that Rob has agreed to remain with us for a further two seasons,” Kiss stated. “He is highly regarded by his peers and he has developed into one of the key leaders within our group.

“He’s still relatively young for a front row player and will develop even more, but to have 79 caps for Ulster at the age of 25 is testament to his quality.

“Our Operations Director, Bryn Cunningham, has done a great job in securing Rob’s services, along with the recent contract renewals of Craig Gilroy and Rory Best.

“When you factor in that a player of the quality of Charles Piutau is arriving with us next season, it’s all very promising for the future.”
[/tag]