Nick Williams to leave Ulster Rugby

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Nick Williams to leave Ulster Rugby

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www.newsletter.co.uk/webimage/1. ... 557303.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster have announced that number eight Nick Williams will leave the province when his current deal expires at the end of the season.

The 32-year old will join fellow Guinness PRO12 side Cardiff Blues on a long-term deal starting in the 2016/17 season.

Williams has had three successful seasons at Ulster, with this being his fourth, and was named PRO12 Player of the Season at the end of his first season with the province.

The New Zealander has made 67 appearances for Ulster and has scored 13 tries in his four years at the club.

Before signing for Ulster he also played for the Auckland Blues in Super Rugby as well as stints in the PRO12 with Munster and Aironi.

Nick was full of praise for Ulster and expressed his gratitude towards the club and fans and promised that he would be committed for the rest of the year.

“I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time in Belfast,” Williams said. “The Ulster people are special and the supporters have always been so good to me. My daughter was born in Ireland so it will always be a special place for my family.

“Rest assured, I’ll be giving everything for the team until the end of the season. We have set our targets over the next five months and I want to play my part in us achieving them.”

Ulster’s Operations Director Bryn Cunningham thanked Williams for his contribution to Ulster Rugby and wished him the best for his future career.

He commented, “We wish Nick, Gemma and the kids the very best of luck with their new challenge in Cardiff. They will be missed by all.

“Nick is a true gentleman and a real fans’ favourite. He is currently producing some excellent rugby for Ulster and I know he will continue in the same vain for the rest of the season, with so much still to play for.

“While we are unable to see Nick in the white of Ulster after his current contract, I want to take this opportunity to thank him for all his effort over the past four years.

“His physicality, barnstorming runs and off-loading abilities are always exciting to watch and we’ve told him not to do quite as much next season when playing against us!

“Over the next period we will be able to announce Nick’s replacement, which will be a top class addition to the squad moving into next season.”
[/tag]