Ulster sign lock Treadwell

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Ulster sign lock Treadwell

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kier ... 6eshql.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster Rugby have announced that England U20s lock Kieran Treadwell will join the province on a two-year deal starting next season from English side Harlequins.

Treadwell, 20, can also play in the back row however he is predominantly a second row.

The promising lock is English, however he is eligible to play for Ireland through his mother and represented Ireland at Under-18 level four times before deciding to switch back to England for the Under-20s.

The 20-year old has featured five times for Harlequins, four of which have been in this season’s Challenge Cup, despite only being in his second year of their Academy.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity that lies ahead with Ulster,” Treadwell said about his move. “They are an ambitious club with lots of young talent coming through into the first team, a number of whom I played both alongside and against for Ireland U18s and England U20s.

“There is also a very clear pathway for me at Ulster if I work hard and impress the coaching staff. This was a very difficult decision to make but one that I feel is right at this stage of my career.”

Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss welcomed Treadwell’s arrival and praised the youngster’s rapid progression and what he will bring to the Ulster squad next season.

“Securing someone of Kieran’s ability and potential is hugely exciting for Ulster,” Kiss commented. “It is key for us that we are not only successful at provincial level, but that we can produce viable candidates for the national team.

“We believe that Kieran has the goods to deliver this. He is a big, uncompromising ball carrier and he has a natural athletic ability that belies his size.

“Having already gained experience of calling lineouts, he is a natural leader who will develop further and become an integral part of our squad.”
[/tag]