Trimble and Herring named co-captains

Moderator: Moderators

ADM
Initiate

Trimble and Herring named co-captains

Post by ADM »

[tag=image]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incom ... 714jpg.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Ulster have announced that winger Andrew Trimble and hooker Rob Herring will be joint captains of the province for the 2016/17 season.

The two players will share the captaincy throughout the season in the Guinness PRO12 and the European Rugby Champions' Cup.

The duo replace Ireland captain Rory Best as club captain.

Trimble brings experience to the role having recently become Ulster's most capped player with 206 appearances, while Herring captained the side last season when Best was away on international duty.

Commenting on the announcement, Ulster's Director of Rugby Les Kiss said: "Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they've agreed to take on the captaincy.

"In the current landscape it's hard to guarantee that one player will be available all of the time, so the shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity throughout the season.

"Rory and I have been in discussions about this since the end of last season and we felt it was the perfect time for him to assist us in developing this new leadership structure. His experience of captaining both Ulster and Ireland last season will continue to be invaluable for us as a group.

"We have strong experience across our squad that will support Rob and Andrew by driving standards off the field and assisting with tactics and decision making in training and in match situations."

The two players expressed their delight at being named co-captains of their province.

Herring said, "I've been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege. To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

"To be able to share the captaincy with someone like Andrew is massively exciting and, together, with the support of the many other leaders in the squad, we can make strides to deliver the success that the players, staff and supporters strive for."

Trimble added: "To be named as captain of my home province is extremely humbling and this is without a doubt one of the proudest moments of my career. We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to upon.

"Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have an excellent structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch."
[/tag]