In memory of cables

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

OnTheWestCarbuncle
Novice

Re: In memory of cables

Post by OnTheWestCarbuncle »

Yes, with a foresight none would have credited him with it seems the sneaky bugger left us just before a season where records, firsts, the last time when, etc are more important than ever before. I would call on someone else to Stand Up and fill the statistical void as I have no idea who to ask now and am wandering around in a daze eg is this our greatest Irish representation in my lifetime? If Cables didn't know off the top of his head he would not have rested until he did know. I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
SUFTU
Cables
Ulster Rugby statistician and corrector of journalists / programme editors / CEOs (Moondance2012)
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote:I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
I'll come and join you for a few Grouse and tears
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote:Yes, with a foresight none would have credited him with it seems the sneaky bugger left us just before a season where records, firsts, the last time when, etc are more important than ever before. I would call on someone else to Stand Up and fill the statistical void as I have no idea who to ask now and am wandering around in a daze eg is this our greatest Irish representation in my lifetime? If Cables didn't know off the top of his head he would not have rested until he did know. I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
:salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

AtTheUsualSpot wrote: I have a feeling his spirit is presiding over the most immense season in the history of Ulster and in May I will be standing somewhere in tatters tears tripping me asking why could you not hang on for one more year you old b*****d!
Writing about your dad in Stand Up, I wrote "It is poignant to recall that Twickers turned out to be his last match ever, watching the team that he loved playing at the pinnacle of European Rugby once again. It would have been fitting if this send-off had yielded the same result as our previous European Cup final in 1999, but alas it wasn’t to be."

At the time I thought Ulster had probably gone as far as we would for at least some time - I suspect you are right though and, whether we go one better this season or not, it is measuring up to be something special. It's just such a pity that he's not watching with us rather than celestially presiding over it. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
OnTheWestCarbuncle
Novice

Post by OnTheWestCarbuncle »

Though it goes against everything I have ever believed in, just in case, by some miracle, you are somewhere I guess this is where you'd be.

13 out of 13 eh!

Unbelievable.

Matthew wants a number on his Ulster shirt!
SUFTU
Cables
Ulster Rugby statistician and corrector of journalists / programme editors / CEOs (Moondance2012)
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Just a line to mark twelve months since "Cables" moved on. We have been left
with a immeasurable void around these parts and his in-depth knowledge and
history of all things regarding UR is sorely missed.
SP.png
SP.png (5.67 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
Thanks Stanley. :red:
Mac.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Nice one Mac :thumleft:
Last edited by Wee Woman on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

For reasons I won't go into, I was not able to post on this site over the weekend, but my thoughts were very much with ATUS and family in the days leading up to Saturday and over the weekend.

cables - gone but not forgotten and still very much missed, my friend. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right