Songs for New Season?

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

redsock
Novice

Songs for New Season?

Post by redsock »

Hello

First congrats on the new site, fantastic, and keeping the Ulster dream alive.

With reference to the topic title, i was wondering if anyone had come up with any new chants for the forthcoming season? Here at redsock records we have two possibles, so I thought I would run them by all of you here to see what you think.

The first one goes to the tune of the Honda Diesel ad - you know the one that goes "Hate something, change something, hate something, change something, make something betterrr" Then has a wee whistled bit at the end. It has this cartoon diesel engine chugging through an idylic landscape with rabbits shooying arrows at it and stuff. I am sure you know the one.

Any way to this tune we could sing..ahem

"We beat Leicester
We beat Gloucester
We'll beat Munster,
Beat Leinster
We are Ulster"

Then instead of whistling we just go "Do do do do do do etc"

The second chant is not quite as original

"Tatey Bread
Soda Bread
We are Ulster"

In my defence wine and the cooking sherry had been consumed before the creation of these symphonies.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Re: Songs for New Season?

Post by jamesie »

redsock wrote:In my defence wine and the cooking sherry had been consumed before the creation of these symphonies.
and were you cooking a few special 'mushrooms' with that cooking sherry by any chance redsock?!?! :shock:
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Well the crop has just ripened at Cherryvale (allegedly)!! :drunken:

Plus the Honda ad does scramble the old brainbox a bit. As you can tell I am not really a loss to the world of music
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Mr Socks
Amm......... well I'm speechless! A bit more work perhaps? :shock: :bom:
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

More than a bit I think DB.

Colin :twisted:
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

All right folks, with kick off tantalisingly close it is time to loosen the vocal chords and get ready to let rip!

Myself and the fellow balladeers will be in the promenade with our two spanking new songs and we will be keeping a keen ear out for all the other new ones!

Ulster expects :red:
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Give us a hint!

Please tell me it is not the above tripe...please, no PLEASE!!!
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I'll be waiting with bated breath redsock :twisted:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

How's about something a little more rousing (or pretentious!)...to the tune of 'The Halls of Montezuma'

Chorus:

From the rolling Glens of Antrim
Tae the hills of Donegal
We will stand and shout for Ulster
As we win both scrum and maul
From the lovely lakes of Fermanagh
Tae the shores of old Lough Gall
We will scream and shout for Ulster
As we beat them one and all

or something similar? I'll have to work on the verses but there's lots of possibilities.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

White Knights
White Cider
White Knights
White Cider
White Knights etc etc

whilst all the time waving hundreds of empty plastic 50% extra free bottles.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Setanta, that is one of the best songs that has ever been suggested on these sites, problem is it is very hard to get a big enough crowd to start something like that :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Alright Setanta

Brilliant song, shows what can be done by avoiding the cooking sherry! But as Rooster says it can be a bit of a problem getting enough folks to join in when it is a relatively complicated song/tune.

I can report that after two games the "Taty bread.." song seems to get a few people joining in, however the other one is a complete disaster.

I was reading on another thread about the NI support. One of the reasons that the NI support is so loud and continuous is that they have a good few short, easy songs with dead easy tunes, maybe this is something we could look into?

The crowd at ravers has been a bit subdued so far, but with the approach of dark nights and horizontal rain, maybe more people will sing, in a vain effort to stave off hypothermia.

Cheers

:red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

For a song to work it will require full cooperation of Ulster Rugby with possibly the team singing it for a cd which the dj can then play, words published in programme etc. It would surely add to atmosphere and could be made work in time, look at the way Irelands Call has started to work :shock: It would however need to be fairly simple to learn and preferably have a well known tune already as paying for someone to write one will be costly.
What Setanta has suggested is not a bad start, the tune is well known and rousing and something like this needs to be pushed a bit further :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

That's a good idea rooster. :? Maybe the next time the team prepare for a line-out , the line-out call should also indicate which song the team are going to sing while waiting for the ball :twisted: :twisted: :shock: then hopefully the crowd round that area of the touch-line will pick it up and join in. Before you know it the wjhole of ravenhill will be singing.:lol: :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You wouldn't be able to hear them over the noise of Shieldsy's knees knocking as he trys to concentrate on not missing a throw to Harrison :lol:
Rory Best