GAA at Ravenhill

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: GAA at Ravenhill

Post by BR »

There were Ulster rugby shirts (and fleeces/hoodies/jackets). There was a fair number of Dubs (I saw 8 or 9 coaches that seemed to originate in Dublin). Match had a pre-season friendly/baabaas feel about it. Points being turned down in the first half in favour of goal attempts. And nowhere near the niggle you would normally expect.

Aquinas end bar and toilets on the prom were closed (and worryingly the emergency exits!). Bar was reported busy. Stout was poor. Crack was good.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Never seen GAA before. BR's right, pre-season friendly feel so no real passion but a good family atmosphere. The game itself was fast but, for me anyway, a bit monotone, all the one speed, not waves of action and pauses for everyone to catch their breath. None of the tension of being camped on the five metre line for three or four minutes. I suppose every sport has its own rhythm. If I get the chance, I'll give it another go, but next time a match where there's something at stake.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Head to a championship game solidarity.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BR wrote:There were Ulster rugby shirts (and fleeces/hoodies/jackets). There was a fair number of Dubs (I saw 8 or 9 coaches that seemed to originate in Dublin). Match had a pre-season friendly/baabaas feel about it. Points being turned down in the first half in favour of goal attempts. And nowhere near the niggle you would normally expect.

Aquinas end bar and toilets on the prom were closed (and worryingly the emergency exits!). Bar was reported busy. Stout was poor. Crack was good.
Thanks, just one question, flegs, was there any flegs.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dubs had theirs. Mike (I presume) had his. Maybe 2 others?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

A game for Anto raised MND awareness in Ravenhill last night
Ulster Rugby and Ulster GAA put on a game for Anto Finnegan last night.
ULSTER’S ALLSTARS TOOK on Dublin in a historic match at Ravenhill on Saturday evening to raise awareness of Motor Neurone Disease.

A huge crowd turned out to watch the ‘Game for Anto’, in honour of Antrim player Anto Finnegan who was diagnosed with the terminal condition two years ago.

It proved an exciting and hard-fought encounter, with Ulster going on to win by 2-18 to 1-19.

All the proceeds of Saturday’s game – the first GAA match at Ravenhill in some 90 years – will go towards supporting research into Motor Neurone Disease.
presseye / inpho
http://thescore.thejournal.ie/a-game-fo ... 6-Nov2014/

Historic sport swap at home of Ulster Rugby
For the first time in almost a century, Gaelic games will be played on the hallowed turf of Ulster Rugby in a charity challenge match.

A bumper crowd is expected at the Kingspan Stadium - formerly Ravenhill - on Saturday night to see 2013 All-Ireland champions Dublin take on an all-star Ulster team in an effort to raise awareness of Motor Neurone Disease (MND).

It is understood that Gaelic games were played on the Ravenhill site before it became the home of the IRFU’s Ulster Branch.

The match is in honour of former Antrim senior football captain Anto Finnegan who was diagnosed with MND in 2012.

Anto, who played in the Antrim senior team for 10 years, and captained the county to its first All-Ireland (B Championship) success in 1999, revealed in August last year that he was suffering from MND.

The announcement was followed by a groundswell of public support and the 41-year-old father-of-two said he was “humbled” by the combined gesture from Ulster Rugby and Ulster GAA in supporting his campaign.

“It will be an historic occasion for many reasons and I am proud to be associated with it. It is testament to the respective sporting organisations, my friends and family, that this historic match will take place at the amazing venue that is home to Ulster Rugby,” he said.

Support for the ‘Game For Anto’ initiative has also come from Stormont, with Sports Minister Caral Ni Chuilin saying it would “make a difference in peoples’ lives”.

She said: “Anto Finnegan is an accomplished Gaelic footballer and my admiration for him has grown through his tireless efforts to raise funding for research into and awareness of Motor Neurone Disease, through the deterMND charity.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/histor ... -1-6419856

Huge support for #GameforAnto at Kingspan Stadium
Anto Finnegan along daughter Ava are applauded by the GAA stars
Gaelic Games returned to Ravenhill Park, Belfast, on Saturday night for a special charity match between an Ulster Irish News All-star Select and Dublin at the Kingspan Stadium.

Ulster Rugby agreed to host the #GameforAnto, a special challenge match in aid of Motor Neurone Disease.

Former Antrim captain, Ando Finnegan, was disagnosed with the incurable and terminal condition two years ago and the 41-year-old launched his deterMND campaign to raise awareness of the illness and fund research.

A crowd of 6,200 watched the game which saw some of the top GAA stars showcase their talents.

Irish News All Stars: R Beggan; K Clarke, B Donaghy, G O’Kane; R McCluskey, P Harte; A Findon, M McCann; S Campbell, N McKeever; D O’Hare, K Dyas, J Clarke.

Replacements: C McKeever, C Gormley, R McMemanin, P McBrearty, D Gordon, T Kernan, P Cunningham, E Bradley, S McGreevy, K O’Boyle, M McGrath, R McHugh

Scorers: D O’Hare, M McCann 1-1 each, J Clarke 0-5 (1f), P McBrearty 0-4 (1f), P Cuningham (1f), S Campbell 0-2 each, R Beggan (‘45), K Dyas, E Bradley 0-1 each.

Dublin: S Cluxton; David Byrne, P McMahon, D Daly; J McCaffrey, N Devereux; Davey Byrne, R Dunleavy; B Fenton, D Rock; P Ryan, E O’Gara, K McManamon.

Replacements: R McDaid, N Scully, N Walsh, P Ryan, L Molloy.

Dublin scorers: K McManamon 1-4, D Rock 0-10 (5f), E O’Gara 0-5.

Referee: P McEnaney (Monaghan).
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/gaa/g ... -1-6420379

Anto Finnegan: A sportsman we can all support
Much has been made about the significance of tonight’s match. The two sporting codes coming together, Gaelic Football being played at the home of Ulster Rugby, even Dublin sending a team North to face an Ulster All Stars team. These are all major steps in the sporting life of the Province.

However, above all, what is important about the game is Anto Finnegan. A hugely talented sportsman, he played inter-county football for more than a decade. In August 2012 he was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease. At that point he became determined to do everything that he could to raise awareness and funds for the fight against the terrible disease.

Tonight his appropriately named deterMND trust sees months of hard work come to fruition with the staging of this game at Kingspan Stadium.

“It has been a whirlwind ride over the past few months in particular, says Anto. It has been a year in the making. I have a really good strong working group in place that covers business, sport and press. They have been phenomenal in creating awareness about this disease.

He continues, “That is the key aim - to create awareness of MND and to raise the profile of the condition. The game will also helped to raise funds for research.”

Last week he met ex Springbok scrumhalf Joost van der Westhuizen who also suffers from MND:

Anto says: “We have a lot of similarities – we both played sport, we are both around the same age, both have kids, both set up a trust with the objectives of raising funds and raising awareness of MND. It was fantastic to see the work that they have done. It was mind-blowing in fact to see him and really encouraging from my perspective.”

After all the talking, throw in is just a few hours away. So how will he feel when the game that bears his name begins?

“We have talked about the match for so long. It is a great way to show what sporting organisations can do when they work together for a common goal. I just want to go and enjoy the game and I think it will be a fantastic spectacle.

“Will I be emotional? I am not sure, but I will be absolutely bursting with pride.”

Having brought people together, raised awareness and fundraised all through one remarkable sporting occasion – he should be.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... pport.aspx
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1416168836915.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1416168836915.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1416168836915.jpg (164.91 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
www.stoutboys.co.uk
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Enjoyed the game. Ulster won. Donegal fleg got it's first outing to Ravenhill.
Slainte.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I am glad they got a good turn out as ticket sales were abysmal a fortnight ago and money going to a great cause, I see they are still using the strap line , GAA played at Ravers , GAA coming home if you like, I believe they even have suggested Camogie 90 years ago :roll:

I also note, " while Casement Park is being rebuilt" so who needs a court case then :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:I am glad they got a good turn out as ticket sales were abysmal a fortnight ago and money going to a great cause, I see they are still using the strap line , GAA played at Ravers , GAA coming home if you like, I believe they even have suggested Camogie 90 years ago :roll:

I also note, " while Casement Park is being rebuilt" so who needs a court case then :roll:
Are they staying for 3 years then?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It is not that Casement will not be rebuilt but the how and for how many is the question ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I think Hugo McNeil is counting on 28k
www.stoutboys.co.uk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I think filling in three corners at Ravenspan would add about 4 - 6 which might be acceptable for a couple of lesser fixtures say something like Japan v Tonga / Georgia etc where the demand for tickets may not be excessive .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

damianmcr wrote:Head to a championship game solidarity.

Yep. Competitive Gaelic best described as one paced - the one pace being fast.

I follow rugby closer, but Gaelic is an entertaining sport.
It's the hope that kills you.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Cockatrice wrote:Plenty of Fleg waving locals outside trying to get into game

:duh:
It's the hope that kills you.