Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Good to meet you guys too. I got back eventually, after after waiting 30 minutes for a 94 bus that didn't stop then getting on the Central line to discover it wasn't running beyond Marble Arch. Ah, the joys of London life...
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

The game on Friday is on BBC Wales as well as Setanta, so this week, you just need somewhere with any Sky dish. Not a long term solution, I know..

What was wrong with the F3K again? I forget..
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The F3K was showing the game, however as it is in W London it is a bit more difficult to get to for people in the N, S or E so I suggested trying the Lyric as it is in the centre.

I'm happy to try the F3K for another game as I live in W London myself!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Not sure if still the same owner but O'Neills in 40 Great Queen Street just off Drury Lane was owned by a Belfast man Kieran I think was his name, it may be worth checking out by some of you :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

sorry i couldn't make it saturday boys :shock: will have to make sure i make it in future! :?
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

Rooster wrote:Not sure if still the same owner but O'Neills in 40 Great Queen Street just off Drury Lane was owned by a Belfast man Kieran I think was his name, it may be worth checking out by some of you :?
rooster, i was there a week or two ago... he's still there and a top boy. he also has an army of helpers from home behind the bar too :wink:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:Not sure if still the same owner but O'Neills in 40 Great Queen Street just off Drury Lane was owned by a Belfast man Kieran I think was his name, it may be worth checking out by some of you :?
Cool - I'll give them a call later in the week to see if they would show the Ulster - Hairsprays game.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Mike - any joy with a pub to show the game tmrw night? My Welsh mate has come up blank..
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

chaps, off to cardiff this weekend i'm afraid... :shock: but good luck finding a gaff.

waxy's still a good bet for CL games no? :roll: mike, i would try kieran at o'neills in great queen street... he might be up for getting hold of setanta?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I rang the O'Neills in Great Queen Street mentioned previously and was asked to call back later today when the manager was in - I'll ring back to find out and put a posting up.

There is a place in Brentford near me that shows the CL games and I watched the Ulster games against The Borders and Leinster there but it is a bit of a trek for you guys..
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

where exactly is brentford? and is it on the tube?? if so what zone?

alternatively, is there an overland direct from clapham junction??

(sorry I do realise you aren't an employee of TFL...) At the end of the day if we draw blanks everywhere else, and this place is sure to show I'm willing to make a trek (as long as it's not ridiculous..) It would be good though to have somehwere central as well who was disposed to stick ulster games on..

anyhow let us know!!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Where is Brentford? It is where the people of Chiswick go to get a bit of edge...

Pub in question is 5 mins walk from Kew Bridge Station which is 18 mins from Clapham Junction on SW Trains with 4 trains per hour.

It is a decent pub - Jamesie has been there - but it can be a bit of a health risk as when the landlord feels like it (which is quite often) closing times are somewhat "flexible". That would be a good word for it.

Anyway, I haven't given up up O'Neills yet as I haven't been able to speak to the manager. Will report back.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

OK guys, it looks as if we are on tomorrow for O'Neills, Great Queen Street. Kickoff 7.10pm.

I spoke to Nuala, the manager (who is from N Ireland) and she said they would put the game on - however as it is a Friday night they may not put the sound on.

If someone gets there before me then you can ask for her - the game is on BBC2 Wales which is Sky Channel 961.

Address details are 40, Great Queen St, London, WC2B 5AA, nearest tubes are Holborn and Covent Garden.

see you there!
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

give my regards to nuala and orla boys!!! :twisted:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

cracking work Mike, I think you're due a scoop for sorting that out..

I'll be there, might be a bit tight for time, might have to go straight from work in fact.. see you tomorrow!