Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

I was originally going to suggest the Lyric off Piccadilly as the landlord was from Cork and it attracted quite a few Munster fans for their game after Ulster v Biarritz but we can see what the other options are like.
That is probably the best option, in truth. I'll try and do some checking up on one of my days in the Bush. Don't want to get caught with the QPR fans though..
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Interesting similar post detailing venues on the munsterfans site...

shame about some of the attitudes though! :evil:
Last edited by fermain on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote: That is probably the best option, in truth. I'll try and do some checking up on one of my days in the Bush. Don't want to get caught with the QPR fans though..
Cool - O'Neills in the Bush got quite a good write-up in beerintheevening.com so would be worthwhile checking there but I can't think of any other decent options in SB/H'smith and I've lived in the area for more than 5 years.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Cack I've just realised I might have to cry off the munster match, as I've a friend visiting.. but I'll see

How about the Romania match on Saturday, anyone watching it anywhere? Presumably it's on BBC NI or RTE?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

A friend? Not an Ulsterman? Ah well.

Yep, it's on BBC NI. I'm watching the start at home, but will probably have to head to work during the second half.

Although I hear the tubes are going to be very badly delayed on Sat :roll:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote:A friend? Not an Ulsterman? Ah well.

Yep, it's on BBC NI. I'm watching the start at home, but will probably have to head to work during the second half.

Although I hear the tubes are going to be very badly delayed on Sat :roll:
It is on BBC2 NI (Sky channel 170). I'll likely be watching it in Captain Morgans in Brentford.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

not an Ulsterman, a lady-friend actually, who specifically asked whether there were rugby matches over that weekend before she booked, and I must have got my dates mixed up.. so it would be doubly bad form if I scarpered AND lied to her (and into the bargain she's pretty fit!)

Mike - I might pop over to that pub on Sat, what train should I get?
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

surely Caolan, you could act surprised when the pub you take her to has the rugby on, and that there are a lot of people in there you know... and that the pint waiting for you was just a coincidence... :roll:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Caolan wrote:
Mike - I might pop over to that pub on Sat, what train should I get?
Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge - 18 mins on the train (4 trains an hour) then 5 mins walk.

I haven't actually spoken to them to confirm they'll be showing the game - I'm sure they will as they've shown every CL, HEC and Intl game I've ever wanted to see, but I'll check later in the week.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

fermain wrote:surely Caolan, you could act surprised when the pub you take her to has the rugby on, and that there are a lot of people in there you know... and that the pint waiting for you was just a coincidence... :roll:
And the pub I plan to go to is minutes away from Kew Gardens and the river - perfect to take her on a romantic walk afterwards (assuming you can walk after leaving the pub...)
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Ireland v Romania

Post by mikerob »

For anyone interested, Captain Morgans in Brentford will be showing the Ireland v Romania game tomorrow (12:30)

Pub details are at http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... /Brentford

Best way of getting there is train from Waterloo/Clapham Junction to Kew Bridge then 5 mins walk.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

So who's for the Lyric on Saturday?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote:So who's for the Lyric on Saturday?
I'm on but I haven't called The Lyric yet to confirm if they are showing the game.

However I was also going to call O'Neills in Great Queen St to see if they have Setanta Ireland as the owner and manager (from N Ireland) were very friendly and helpful putting on the Ulster-Ospreys game a few weeks ago.

I'll have some time to do this tomorrow.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

aye, i might give it a rattle :shock: gt. queen street would be good, but i would say that o'neills would have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it as they are a huge chain pub :roll:

i doubt individual pubs would have the autonomy to get subscription to a two-bob cowboy outfit like stantanta :evil:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Well I was able to make a few phone calls...

I had a good chat with Keiran at O'Neills Gt. Queen St. - he won't be showing the game as they don't subscribe to Setanta. He could subscribe however a commercial subscription to Setanta from Sky costs a lot of money (several hundred pounds per month on top of about £1200 for Sky he is already paying) and he doesn't think it is worth it - however he may subscribe for the last couple of months in the season depending on what the table looks like.

btw, O'Neills is more of a franchise than a chain so the individual bar owners do have discretion to subscribe to Setanta or other channels depending if they think it is worth it or not. Keiran has always been very helpful so I suggest we go to Gt Queen St for the Saracens game the week after next.

The Lyric do have Setanta Ireland and will be showing the game however Man U v Portsmouth is on earlier that evening (5:15 ko) so he said we'd likely miss the start of the Munster-Ulster game until the Man U game is over.

At the moment it looks like The Lyric is the best (but not ideal...) place but I'll make some more calls tomorrow to see if there are any other options.