loyality to club or fame and fortune.

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Vanhelsing
Novice

loyality to club or fame and fortune.

Post by Vanhelsing »

Young Rugby players starting Pro Rugby,members of the forum what are your thoughts,loyality to your first club as a Pro and then go for the big pay days and fame and fortune in a new club, or stay with your first pro club?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: loyality to club or fame and fortune.

Post by justinr73 »

Life is a bit more complicated than that.

Even Preston North End legend Sir Tom Finney was tempted by a big-money move to Italy back in the day but PNE told him to forget about it.

You'd like to think that someone like Hendy (as a reasonably well-paid international with a settled family life and a faint sniff of actually winning something) would stick around at Ulster in the Rory Best mould, but many players don't have those luxuries.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Difficult to expect loyalty in the pro game when club and country will invariably give little or none in return.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm Difficult to expect loyalty in the pro game when club and country will invariably give little or none in return.
If rugby is going the way of football, there will be no such thing as club loyalty among players. Hopefully it will be a while before we get there. In professional sport the only people with club loyalty is among fans.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Its a job after all, and after time most of us fancy a change, moving to a better company with better prospects and remuneration. Pro sports people are exactly the same. The pro clubs couldn't spell loyalty so its unfair to expect the same from players who's career is short.

Also, some players like Ian Whitten, Tommy Seymour, Callum Patterson et al could've sat around knowing opportunities were going to be limited, but decided to push themselves and move on. Whitten is a serial trophy winner, Seymour a Lion and Callum has cult status with the Pirates and getting regular game time and to a man have all done the right thing.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Let's ask this, "If you were doing a well paid job that you loved and someone offered you the chance to do it more, climb the promotion ladder and get paid a bigger salary, would you consider it?

Possibly the most important reason you might have for turning it down would be for family reasons if you had to move from home. One of the most important reason for accepting would probably also be for family reasons in order to provide for your family's future.

It's a professional sport now - I would suggest that loyalty to family would have a massive say in the equation, not just loyalty to club/province.

Much as I would love all our Ulster players to stay and represent their province, I wouldn't blame any of them for taking a bigger pay cheque or an alternative employer if it were offered, especially if their game time may be limited due to Ulster squad age and dynamics.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:35 am I wouldn't blame any of them for taking a bigger pay cheque or an alternative employer if it were offered, especially if their game time may be limited due to Ulster squad age and dynamics.
Unless it was to sign for Leinster or Sorries of course, :lol:

but that ain't likely to happen any time soon, if ever. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Think of this the other way round, a fair number of players have come to Ulster, rather than staying with their 'home' clubs. It's a way of life now.