BR's Skype query

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

BR's Skype query

Post by cables »

Skype - Would this be an option for future matches if an on-line feed was not available??? Any techies out there ever try it?
I have used it for a one-to-one call. Audio quality was good enough to be able to recognise the person's voice. I can see no reason why the audio input could not be a radio. A test to confirm may be required but I cannot carry out a test as I am not on skype.

As far as I am aware, it would not have to be one-to-one as there is a 25 person conference call facility.

I know little about the cost but understand it may be a landline call cost in your country.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: BR's Skype query

Post by Ithryn »

You could rebroadcast it over skype or similar programs, and it would be free. Its a simple program, download it and treat it like msn messenger etc, just using a mic
Why? Why not?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Aye, that's the sort of thing I mean. Now it probably breaks the T&Cs, so it'd not be something one person would be wanting to do every week, but it may give a simple, if ugly solution to those outside the range of the old fashioned wireless when the bbc web link isn't available. I'd be willing to give it a try sometime, if people think it'd be valuable.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

However isn't Skype just person-to-person? That is, I'm not sure how you would use Skype to rebroadcast to more than one person?

I've got a Mac application called Nicecast that allows me to re-broadcast any audio on my Mac to an internet URL. There may be a PC equivalent.
Last edited by mikerob on Sat May 09, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

... just thinking about this... with Skype and internet rebroadcasting, you could set up an alternative commentary for a game on TV... so two people could be watching the game on TV, communicating over Skype then rebroadcasting their commentary to anyone that cared to listen.

As much as we all slag off gusher, I suspect that commentary is one of those things that is a lot harder than it looks. I think any commentary I did would just be yes, no, gwan and FFS.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:However isn't Skype just person-to-person? That is, I'm not sure how you would use Skype to rebroadcast to more than one person?

I've got a Mac application called Nicecast that allows me to re-broadcast any audio on my Mac to an internet URL. There may be a PC equivalent.
Yes, it's person-to-person (or multiple selected people - in the case of a conference call). I wasn't thinking of 'broadcasting' to all and sundry, just trying to help out selected individuals, by letting them listen to my wireless.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

you could have a 25 man conference call.

My world of warcraft guild has a teamspeak server which allows 100 simultaneous connections, and could handle it no problem, one person has the radio link working, and plays it into a mic whilst in a chat room everyone else just listens, essentially its a massive conference call,

but it costs to run one.
Why? Why not?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

How many people from here typically listen in to Gusher on the web (ie cannot get mw braodcast)?
How common is for them to have problems?
Is this discussion even worth forwarding?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

I dont normally have a problem streaming gusher if i ever need too.

Have you tried streaming other shows today from the bbc sports section?

Maybe it was an isolated problem.
Why? Why not?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

This sounds more complicated than buying a wee wireless with MW?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ColinM wrote:This sounds more complicated than buying a wee wireless with MW?
...fine if you are within reception distance of Brougher Mountain/Divis/Limavady transmitters... not much use for listening to the game if you aren't.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

BR wrote:How many people from here typically listen in to Gusher on the web (ie cannot get mw braodcast)?
How common is for them to have problems?
Is this discussion even worth forwarding?
I can't remember not being able to listen to a game over the internet. The link often only appears on the BBC website after the game has started, there did seem to be a problem with the usual player on the BBC website (although standalone Realplayer worked) and the ML website has been reorganised and they seem to have messed up their audio links as well.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Ithryn wrote:I dont normally have a problem streaming gusher if i ever need too.

Have you tried streaming other shows today from the bbc sports section?

Maybe it was an isolated problem.

To clarify - I was listening on MW; it was GC who was having the streaming issues (you know what receptions like once you go round the Bla Hole - although it's slightly worse for those in further flung parts). I was only trying to help with a solution for them. But if you are suggesting the issue is at the client, then VoIP is probably not going to be great either.
www.stoutboys.co.uk