TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20395
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 pm

damianmcr wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 pm
Sure why not contracts are broken all the time. They mean nothing anymore. He might be homesick for his new home and also because covid.
IRFU could have offered all players early release if they wanted.
Jonny telling porkies about finances not being an issue?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by damianmcr » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 pm
damianmcr wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:18 pm
Sure why not contracts are broken all the time. They mean nothing anymore. He might be homesick for his new home and also because covid.
IRFU could have offered all players early release if they wanted.
Jonny telling porkies about finances not being an issue?
No idea but by all accounts zero player contract renewals have started for next season and we could see a few big name departures.

justinr73
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2881
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by justinr73 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:20 pm

They are supposed to start in January.

Lurgan Lad
Warrior
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Lurgan Lad » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Think the elephant in the room is IRFU's finances, if they are as bad as they appear to be I imagine they are open for business on anyone under contract. I'm not seeing us having a stronger squad next season than this.

richardt84
Novice
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by richardt84 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:13 am

Lurgan Lad wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 pm
Think the elephant in the room is IRFU's finances, if they are as bad as they appear to be I imagine they are open for business on anyone under contract. I'm not seeing us having a stronger squad next season than this.
I’ll be sympathetic to the IRFU on that one as long as other provinces are equally impacted. It’s one thing losing players due to contract renewals but it’s quite another if we are the only province who lose players contracted beyond the end of this season.

I’d agree on not expecting as strong a squad next season but surely clubs right across the board, with a few exceptions, are having to tighten their belts to some degree?

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20395
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:46 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but the irfu were given a significant lump of cash from the Irish government. I don't know if it's enough to keep everything afloat without gate receipts but there is also TV money and sponsorship. Petrie tweeted that finances were not an issue with Coetzee leaving. That was down to the player and the other team.

If Cooney and Coetzee are both leaving we will find very difficult to replace them with similar quality. Cooney's replacement has to be IQ. I don't think there is anyone better but perhaps that's just me. Coetzee is the best all-round backrow NIQ we have ever signed, in my view. We have now let him leave to a league rival. I reckon we should put all our effort into the Challenge Cup this year with hopefully Hendo/Addison back from injury at the right time.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

nonplussed
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1591
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by nonplussed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 am

SO 2 folks have been bandied about re: Marcel's replacement. Fez mentioned Bill Mata in dispatches, while another is a Brumbie backrower with decent pedigree. anyone heard anything, or will we just get another Campbell Feather for our sins.

User avatar
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:43 am

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by kingofthehill » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 am

nonplussed wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 am
SO 2 folks have been bandied about re: Marcel's replacement. Fez mentioned Bill Mata in dispatches, while another is a Brumbie backrower with decent pedigree. anyone heard anything, or will we just get another Campbell Feather for our sins.
Mata is not coming to ulster. Ferris about a month behind that news.
The King is dead. Long live the King.

nonplussed
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1591
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by nonplussed » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:46 am

So the Brumbie then?

Post Reply