Gavin Duffy to Ulster?

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

notj
Steward

Re: Gavin Duffy to Ulster?

Post by notj »

Success for Ulster will come from building from within, if it comes at all. So I'm very pleased that young Smith will get a chance to kick on from last season.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Have to agree with the building process, bring through great youth players and the club has a great future. Also Smith was fab last season, running the ball back, spinning out of tackles etc. (Maybe out of position now and again and would Robbie have forgiven him if Duffy hadnt pushed Smith towards the try line, instead of giving to Robbie a cert on the left wing?) However just a bit concerned that he's not big enough for todays game as a FB? I am also concerned that Cunningham who has been a great servant over the years will keep injury free. After the layoff last year he made that ravens game only to ice up and not reappear. We had Paddy & Boss as 15 cover at times, its the cover that worries me!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Thought Smith did v well last year, good running the ball back but his size is a worry. Is he really the long term solution?
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

jackthelad wrote:
Conas wrote:Why would anyone want a glass man like Denis Leamy??? like Stephen Ferris he's always out injured you just can't depend on such fragile players like that. Cullen can't maintain a place in the Ireland squad as it is plus he's an old man and past his best. Seanie O Brien looks like another glass man...he has an awful lot to prove at international level.

Duffy isn't half the player Geordon Murphy is and
Rob Kearney on form is the best in the world
. I'm a very intellectual realist and I can read Declan Kidneys mind. Some of you people really overrate poor players, and hence you have no idea what you're talking about.

Kearney the best in the world. Not even close. Too slow and can't pass / won't pass. You forgot about yourself in that position. I hear you're really good but seem to have a total lack of self-awareness....for an intellectual that is...and a mind reader to boot.
Hard to pass when the ball is tucked under your arm when going in to traffic. Without doubt his one big weakness that leads to turnover ball. Still, he is a great counter-attacker but not at best in the world level yet.

As for Murphy, he couldn't tackle a fish supper after a night on sloppy southern english best.
Conas
Novice

Post by Conas »

stickinout wrote: Hard to pass when the ball is tucked under your arm when going in to traffic. Without doubt his one big weakness that leads to turnover ball. Still, he is a great counter-attacker but not at best in the world level yet.

As for Murphy, he couldn't tackle a fish supper after a night on sloppy southern english best.
Oh yeah so who would you have as the Irish full back then big shot? and do you mean beach or best? which doesn't make any sense to a smart literature lover like me. At least everyone on Ulster fans knows what you get up to in the South of England on holidays with your stinking fish dinners. Having said that before I got sick on Wednesday I ate Salmon for dinner, and I was on the toilet with the brown liquid water running out of me...so less talk about the fish ok.

So all your talk and anti Kearney/Murphy is down the one simple fact. You want Duffy in there??? It's not gonna happen under Kidney, and it's the same with all the Fionn Carr lovers out there too. You can't alter an old mans managing mentality, like you can't teach an old dog new tricks. We should hire Eddie again just for you :cowboy:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

hahahaha was the brown liquid flowing out your Brennan or your mouth? In these parts we call it, 'Verbal Diarrhea'
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

For those concerned about Smith's size, have a look at this comparison:

James O'Connor 1.80cm 84kg -http://www.rugbywa.com.au/players/james ... tion/54680
Jamie Smith 1.78cm 80kg - http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/8734.p ... ef=dynamic

2cm and 4 kgs is nothing and I have not heard many Australians complaining that O'Connor is too small for the Wallabies, never mind the Force. Smith is big enough and he's a tough little nugget, he'll be fine as long as he keeps his head screwed on, develops his tackle technique and people dont keep try and put him down by saying he's not big enough to make it, total rubbish.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

James O'Connor 1.80cm 84kg -http://www.rugbywa.com.au/players/james ... tion/54680
Jamie Smith 1.78cm 80kg - http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/8734.p ... ef=dynamic
At 1.80cm and 1.78cm, would they qualify to play for the Islanders - Lilliput perhaps?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

For fecks sake lads why are we still talking about a player signed to Connacht and not even in negotiations with Ulster coming to Ulster :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:For fecks sake lads why are we still talking about a player signed to Connacht and not even in negotiations with Ulster coming to Ulster :scratch:
Read most of the thread - there is very little chat about anything related to the title !
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Conas wrote:
stickinout wrote: Hard to pass when the ball is tucked under your arm when going in to traffic. Without doubt his one big weakness that leads to turnover ball. Still, he is a great counter-attacker but not at best in the world level yet.

Oh yeah so who would you have as the Irish full back then big shot? and do you mean beach or best? which doesn't make any sense to a smart literature lover like me. At least everyone on Ulster fans knows what you get up to in the South of England on holidays with your stinking fish dinners. Having said that before I got sick on Wednesday I ate Salmon for dinner, and I was on the toilet with the brown liquid water running out of me...so less talk about the fish ok.

So all your talk and anti Kearney/Murphy is down the one simple fact. You want Duffy in there??? It's not gonna happen under Kidney, and it's the same with all the Fionn Carr lovers out there too. You can't alter an old mans managing mentality, like you can't teach an old dog new tricks. We should hire Eddie again just for you :cowboy:
Conas, Sorry to hear about your fishy experiences. Don't blame the salmon, it must have been something else you had, unless you threw it round your cat's litter tray before frying. I'd still have Kearney at full-back but i'd horse whip him every time he goes into contact with the ball tucked up unless he's doing it temporarily for a hand-off. The modern game is all about off-loads IMO.

Kearney is a very good player and could be among the best in the world if he keeps working at his game to eradicate weaknesses..... saying that, all the Irish players could keep working on eradicating bad habits or weak points.

The southern English best was a reference to English Best Bitter (beer) ........ Mustn't be funny if you have to explain your own jokes.....; :cry:

i'll get my coat................