SIMON DANIELLI RETIRES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

SIMON DANIELLI RETIRES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT

Post by backawaygoonahead »

It had been widely touted that Simon was considering retirement but nobody expected this.and quite fecking right too.

Am I the only one who is getting fed up (I'm being polite) with rumours of Simon either retiring or being frogmarched to the gates to Ravenhill and told to sling his hook?

Would someone brad pitt or get off the pot. Our Simon was outstanding at MK on Sunday, why he would want to retire is beyond me.

Now can we make a pact not to keep bringing this nonsense up?

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
29xThePain
Squire

Re: SIMON DANIELLI RETIRES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT

Post by 29xThePain »

I agree. Getting a bit bored of all these Si Dazzle leaving / retiring rumours.

Don't know where these muppets get the idea from. He was superb in MK
Follow me on Twitter
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

29xThePain wrote:I agree. Getting a bit bored of all these Si Dazzle leaving / retiring rumours.

Well imho that is the best game SD has played all season,now before Trimble scored SD made a break if that had been Gilroy he would have scored,so we would not have had to recycyle the ball across the field for Trimble to score,the question is really can we afford to pay him so he can perform to play in one game a season????????????????????.SD has always looked good in defence and the odd cameo at making good line breaks,but he just does'nt have the gas anymore,hopefully though he can improve from MK and show he is a decent winger,as we have some serious talent coming thru.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

bootlaced wrote:
29xThePain wrote:I agree. Getting a bit bored of all these Si Dazzle leaving / retiring rumours.

Well imho that is the best game SD has played all season,now before Trimble scored SD made a break if that had been Gilroy he would have scored,so we would not have had to recycyle the ball across the field for Trimble to score,the question is really can we afford to pay him so he can perform to play in one game a season????????????????????.SD has always looked good in defence and the odd cameo at making good line breaks,but he just does'nt have the gas anymore,hopefully though he can improve from MK and show he is a decent winger,as we have some serious talent coming thru.

Simon was great on sunday--he hasn't been up to his usual standard but then he was injured...Wouldn't be surpised if he headed somewhere new soonish---possibly France for big-bucks and a last hurrah---you couldn't blame him. (sorry Gooner---I'm not helping your cause I know :banghead: )
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Yes we do have some talent coming through the ranks.

However, Danielli has one year left on his contract. Various posters on this message board have suggested that Danielli is going to retire at the end of the season, or is going to be pushed out by UR. Why? Is it because he's one of our NIQ's? I agree he's lost pace. Although MK showed that he is still an important player in the tea,. Would Gilroy have definitely scored? I think it takes experience to do the side-step which Danielli did just prior to getting tackled - failure to make that side-step may have resulted in getting tackled further up the field.

It's all well and good saying that we have serious talent coming through - but spare a thought as to who may be mentoring that serious talent? I'm sure Gilroy will have learnt a lot from an International winger and a great player for Ulster. You can't dispute that. Prior to this season, Danielli was one of our most prolific try scorers.

It's been well documented on here that I like Danielli as a player - some of the things being said on this board are disgraceful to one of our adopted Ulstermen.
Follow me on Twitter
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I agree that he was very good on Sunday, and that it was definitely the correct decision to start him. He looked much more like the Danielli of previous seasons. Hopefully this is a return to form that will carry us into the Magners League semi-finals and beyond.

SUFTU

OM
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I think he must have been struggling for full fitness as much as form, you dont lose that much pace overnight. We only need look at Shane Horgan to see the value of an experienced 30 something winger.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Not sure startign a thread with a title SIMON DANIELLI RETIRES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT
is the way to quash a rumour.

To be honest the whole thing was dead in the water the moment Shane Logan said there was nothing in it a few weeks back.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

It is when gooner starts the thread
Junty
Novice

Post by Junty »

I heard that he was considering retiring at the end of the season , not because of any reason other than his body has taken enough punishment, and it takes him much longer to recover from each match that he plays in and he feels that if he continues to take the knocks for another season then ....... who knows what might happen. His body is telling him that enough is enough.
I thought that he had an outstanding game on Sunday the lines that he ran were superb, but has been stated he just doesn't have the same pace as a couple of years ago, which is sad for the big man but thats how it goes.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

29xThePain wrote:Yes we do have some talent coming through the ranks.

However, Danielli has one year left on his contract. Various posters on this message board have suggested that Danielli is going to retire at the end of the season, or is going to be pushed out by UR. Why? Is it because he's one of our NIQ's? I agree he's lost pace. Although MK showed that he is still an important player in the tea,. Would Gilroy have definitely scored? I think it takes experience to do the side-step which Danielli did just prior to getting tackled - failure to make that side-step may have resulted in getting tackled further up the field.

It's all well and good saying that we have serious talent coming through - but spare a thought as to who may be mentoring that serious talent? I'm sure Gilroy will have learnt a lot from an International winger and a great player for Ulster. You can't dispute that. Prior to this season, Danielli was one of our most prolific try scorers.

It's been well documented on here that I like Danielli as a player - some of the things being said on this board are disgraceful to one of our adopted Ulstermen.
I'm in complete agreement with you. I'm a Danielli fan, some should cast your minds back to when we signed him, a lot thought he would be the weaker signing versus Rob Dewey (I know, who?) but he proved to be quite the opposite.

He was never quite the same after the injury this season but I hope that after last weeks performance the flying Scotsman is well on his way back to his best.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

He has always been one of my favourite players because he is a joy to watch when he gets the ball in hand maybe not the same as he was 2 years ago but still very dangerous. He gives us a great option of the lineout like he did on Sunday and that move with Wallace giving the ball inside to him worked very well. We used the same move against Biarritz which almost lead to a try for Darcy. Looked pretty quick on Sunday and had a great match and hopefully this shoulder injury is not too bad. I agree that some of the things being said about him have been unacceptable when he has really not done much wrong but I guess that shows how high a standard we expect for an NIQ player. I really hope he gets some form back from previous seasons because he was one of our best players a couple of seasons ago and one of the most important things is he loves playing for us. He is not here to grab some money and clear of. He has a local wife and a kid and I remember him in the Belfast Tele saying that he loves playing for us more than Scotland. When his contract is up will he definitely leave? Or could he get a job involved with Ulster rugby?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

He has lost his pace,he plays a half decent game and then is injured,we really can't carry a player who has one good game a season.

And if it means that he retires [although I have never heard this] and we can get a quality overseas backrow or 10,then I would wish him well and welcome the new signing.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I say give him a chance after his performance in Northampton. I still believe he has another season in him with Ulster and after all he has a life here as I mentioned before. I don't think he will clear off just as quickly as people think he will and I for one hope he doesn't and he has had some cracking games in a white shirt.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He may not go to the world cup and if he doesn't, he will bring valuable experience to a youthful back line.