A-maze-ing rumour and other tired puns

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Baldrick
Novice

A-maze-ing rumour and other tired puns

Post by Baldrick »

It has been said (by a non rugby source I might add) that the IRFU are about to throw their weight behind the Ormeau Park venture.

Fairly reliable source but who knows?!
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Ormeau stadium study 'now ready'

The consortium advocating Ormeau Park as the best venue for a new Northern Ireland stadium have said that they have completed their feasibility study.
City of Belfast Stadium project manager Paul Durnien said that the document will be presented to Belfast City Council members next Monday.

It will then be discussed by Belfast City Council on 30 January.

The Government insists that the Maze is the only possible location for a new multi-sport stadium.

Mr Durnien said that his group were "not discouraged" by the lack of contact from the government over their proposal.

"Despite the obvious attempts to derail the City of Belfast Stadium proposal, the consortium remain fully committed to driving this project forward," he said.

"If council support is received on the 30 January we will immediately submit our planning application.

"We have been encouraged by the ongoing enthusiasm of the sports bodies, supporters clubs, council members and elected representatives."

He added that if they receive backing from Belfast City Council that they will seek a meeting with the government as soon as possible.

The Ormeau Park site is one of two sites that have emerged in recent months as alternatives to the Maze.

The other alternative is for the old Maysfield Leisure site near the Albert Bridge where the Belfast Chamber of Trade believes that a 30,000-seater stadium is a viable option.

The proposed City of Belfast Stadium would initially accommodate a capacity of 25,000 seats with the option to extend to 35,000 seats as required.

The plans say that the site would not occupy any of the park land currently used by the local community but that the new stadium would replace and occupy the site currently housing the Ozone leisure facility.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Cap'n Grumpy
Chancellor to the King
Location: At sea on an insignificant blue/green planet orbiting a sun in the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

"the new stadium would replace and occupy the site currently housing the Ozone leisure facility"

That'd be handy - UR could have a "Park n walk" facility.

(Or would we all then park in the streets around Ravers and get the buses down to the Ozone? :lol: )
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: (Or would we all then park in the streets around Ravers and get the buses down to the Ozone? :lol: )
Well if we all parked as normal it would dispel any worries the Ormeau residents would have about cars parking in the area. :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ali c
Warrior

Post by ali c »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
That'd be handy - UR could have a "Park n walk" facility.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

On a similar topic, a non-rugby source mentioned to me that a meeting took place yesterday between Ulster rugby and Minister Hanson at which a substantial amount of money was "given" to UR.

The bloke is involved in the amalgamation of NI Supporters and is quite reliable, I was just wondering if anyone else had heard anything about this, or is it just a load of old cobblers?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

was it in a large brown envelope or was it the long awaited funding for Ravers redevelopment :twisted:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

Funding for redevelopment apparently, the figure mentioned was £12m. If this is true, I would be slightly concerned as to what strings may be attached.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Are you sure it was not £1.2 million would sound nearer :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
redsock
Novice

Post by redsock »

No, the bloke defo said £12m, I knew that we were promised money light years ago, but I didn't think that it was as much as £12m!

I suppose we will find out in due course, when we sign half the Stade team and start playing in pink :shock:
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

“In practical life the wisest and soundest people avoid speculation.”

George Earle Buckle
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

Ulster proud sponsors of Comical Eddie! :roll:
bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

If a foot bridge is built over the Lagan at the Business Park oppositie Ormeau Ave and Donegall Pass about 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile as the crow flys then City centre parking is possible
there is also the ground once used by Park School

but I would ban all parking within 1/2 or 3/4 of a mile from the ground
10 - 15 mins walk

Its the walk to the ground at Landsdowne Road and Croke Park that creates the atmosphere you can feel the excitement build
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

Will the Taxis, Buses and Helicopters be grouped there to take us to the Maze? :shock:
The trouble with referees is that they just don't care which side wins - Tom Canterbury.

the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

Speculating, by any chance there, DB?

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
dead ball
Steward

Post by dead ball »

No. Asking for clarification of what this moniker believes will be happening at this particular site. Actually. Thank you for asking. :wink: