Oh dear.

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Oh dear.

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Whoops!!! Maybe we could get a discount cos of their sponsorship of the URSC :)
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

************************** at what price your soul.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Maybe they'll launch an "Ulster says no to the Maze shirt". :lol:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

That one is bound to provoke an angry reaction from the membership.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Pillocks!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

Oh Dear, would be fairly right Browner, have seen a pic of the article concerned, and it’s certainly ‘in yer face’

The GAA have distanced themselves from this, and I am sure all moderate GAA members will do likewise, however I can’t help thinking if some sort of parallel were drawn and a commemorative shirt produced to any other paramilitary grouping, and put out on say a Linfield, Rangers or, God forbid, an Ulster Rugby shirt, with the maker’s name emblazoned, it might just cause a wee bit more of a stir than a distancing exercise from the governing body?

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORT, THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH AVENUES FOR POINT SCORING AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY.

I don’t know about you guys, but I would feel mighty uncomfortable watching a football game stood in a crowd of people wearing these shirts, just as much as I would standing at a soccer game in Windsor Park if a similar, ‘opposing stance’, shirt were made available to ‘the other side’?

Maybe I’m just not being tolerant enough…………………
"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Solid Air wrote: KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORT, THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH AVENUES FOR POINT SCORING AVAILABLE IN THIS COUNTRY.
…………………

To be fair - there is no sport involved in this story. A commercial sportsware manufacturer fills a order from a non-sports organisation (hardly shocking). A number of ammature sportsmen lend support to a cause, in their capacity as private individuals (so what?).

Lots of people supported the cause of the hunger strikers (while they may not have supported the actions for which they were imprissoned). Hardly a story at all, in fact.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

Hardly a story at all BR............do you really think so?

Imagine Adidas launching a football style shirt with the logo of some far right German grouping on it, only business............i don't think so.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

browner wrote:Hardly a story at all BR............do you really think so?

Imagine Adidas launching a football style shirt with the logo of some far right German grouping on it, only business............i don't think so.
It may be in the interests of certain people to turn this into a story, but you're whole argument pivots on whether you believe that the hunger stike movement (note: not the republican movement, or the IRA/INLA) is/was an 'extremist' group. Some will say it is, others that it is not. And that is not a debate for this board.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

that is f*cking disgraceful... am incensed
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BR- I haven't seen the full article is there anymore? I ask because from what Donaldson is saying the manufacturer is responsible for both the design in question and the sale through its outlet.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
browner
Lord Chancellor

Post by browner »

It may be in the interests of certain people to turn this into a story
Like who?

but you're whole argument pivots on whether you believe that the hunger stike movement (note: not the republican movement, or the IRA/INLA) is/was an 'extremist' group.
Of course one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter but i would be interested to hear anyone say that the above groups are not connected.

And that is not a debate for this board.

Are you speaking with some authority?

CT....................the link is still there at the top of the thread and is still working.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Solid Air
Initiate

Post by Solid Air »

"Cheer up" he said "It could get worse", so I cheered up, and it got worse...
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I read the BT article but am confused as to other comments on this thread suggesting that the manufacturer simply filled the order of a non-sports organisation.

That isn't IMHO obvious from the report which appears to suggest that it was O'Neill's that brought out the shirt.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU