Nasty rumour - please help dispel...

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Nasty rumour - please help dispel...

Post by darkside lightside »

I was speaking to a mate over the weekend, who has a customer who's a former French pro rugby player - this chap claimed recently that Neil Best was close to signing for Biarritz for next season....

can someone tell me that his contract is definitely secure for another while... please... :?

(the guy also said that trimble was approached by a couple of english teams, but wanted to stay in belfast to finish his studies..)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Don't worry - Goody wouldn't let him leave! :lol:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

wouldn't be the same source who was confidently predicting BO'D would be playing at the Parc des Sports Aguilera this season Caolan?

not sure how long Bestie has remaining (1 or 2 years - some of our statos will correct me) but I really don't think this one has any legs.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

don't know about that, but my immediate reaction was to ridicule the notion thinking that an announcement had been made recently about best re-signing - but on reflection i'm not sure that i have read one..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

He is on a four year contract and I think next is the last season of it. I doubt if the UB would let him go until it is over. Having said that I also heard the rumour.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Biarritz are a bit like Real Madrid when it comes to the number of players supposedly signing for them.

But granted the branch and IRFU need to get Bestie signed up by the end of RWC or he may decide to move abroad once his current deal is up. In fairness they're usually not slow in resigning out top talent.

(thanks colin for clarifying when his current deal is up).
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

i haven't heard this rumour, and not saying there's any shred of truth in it but taking the positives from the negatives, i would say betsen, harinordoquy or dusautoir would be a decent swap deal (all 3 of them like...) :roll:
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

As Colinh has suggested, summer 2008 IS the end of Neil's current contract.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I've got to say if BOPB offered to fly me out there to talk about the possibility of a contract ... ok, everyone picked themselves off the floor now? ... I think I'd go. I'm sure they can be very convincing, but it's hardly a time-share sales pitch.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The BO supporters seem to think they want him and have been posting about this since last summer, a couple of my photos of Bestie have had in excess of 20k viewings from that end of France since then :shock: Perhaps goodie has competition :lol: :lol:
Bestie perhaps has taken a few tips on contract management from BOD and gone for a holiday to Biarritz like he did before his last contract.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
goodaine
Chancellor to the King

Post by goodaine »

Mon Dieu .......... NON :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Better brush up on my French just in case though :shock:

I'm not drunk! I just have speech impediment... [vomits]
and a stomach virus... [falls off bar stool]
and an inner ear infection."
Brian Griffin
pingus
Novice

Post by pingus »

Heard from a very good source that a french club had offered him silly money, so silly that he would struggle to turn it down.
ColinS
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by ColinS »

Just read this on a French rugby website...
Il se murmure également que Biarritz vient de signer Ouedraogo, le troisème ligne aile int-21 de Montpellier, ainsi que Neil Best, le troisième ligne de L'Ulster.
Translates roughly to;
there are rumours about the signing of U21 international player from Montpellier and Neil Best at Biarritz
Now that's shortened as my French friend translated it for me...
http://top14.blogs.rugbyhebdo.fr/archiv ... -club.html

That's the site. :(
Do yah reckon Besty will say if asked about his future?

Colinx
Some people say I used to be called Colzo. Don't listen to them people, I talk much less sense than Colzo.
backofthepack

Post by backofthepack »

Well on ulster rugby.com in his q and a session, I asked him if he would ever leave and the reply came back never say never so its a possibility he'd certainly consider it. Has to think about his ireland chances and whether they'd improve or be diminished entirely by eddie
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Well if you're offered silly money to go and play for one of the big three French clubs in the best domestic league it would be hard to turn down.

I'd hate to see him go but would wish him luck if he did leave for France.