Neil Best next season?

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

bogboy
Chancellor to the King

Post by bogboy »

A friend( with a relation friendly with those who should know in other words this is third hand information) informed me that one of the major problems last year was guys going to Eddies training camps would be asked to play certain roles and practice their performance then return to Belfast have their roles redefined and be expected to perform them without squad training

eg players would asked to Ball Carriers for Ulster but be expected to support the ball carrier at Eddies training camp ie when acting as Ball carrier the man with the ball didn't have a clue as to whether the carry was to be short or should he go for the brake nor a clue as to which players were meant to support him-- ad-lib forwards - schools teams would be going out better prepared

At the start of the season everybody was fine but once injuries started to take their toll then the roles previously assigned to players became redefined and changed nearly weekly which of course was not assisted by the fact certain players could not play certain roles

And a certain member of the management wouldn't discuss or alter his approach

Which resulted in a morale sapping situation

Similiarly UR were aware of the approaches to certain players by French clubs but they have been warned that should they accept the offers then they can expect to take about two years off their playing career

due to the physical demands of French Rugby ie to many high intensity games too much high intensity training

The monies good -- but the cost is high--- maybe the players don't like the cost
2B or not 2B that is the question ?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

bogboy wrote:A friend( with a relation friendly with those who should know in other words this is third hand information) informed me that one of the major problems last year was guys going to Eddies training camps would be asked to play certain roles and practice their performance then return to Belfast have their roles redefined and be expected to perform them without squad training

eg players would asked to Ball Carriers for Ulster but be expected to support the ball carrier at Eddies training camp ie when acting as Ball carrier the man with the ball didn't have a clue as to whether the carry was to be short or should he go for the brake nor a clue as to which players were meant to support him-- ad-lib forwards - schools teams would be going out better prepared
Could certainly believe that bit with certain number of our players.
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

It'll be interesting to watch his career take off in France.
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Emmet Byrne almost said it on Friday night after the game during the discussion, Bestie has been ignored by the Irish press for weeks now.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

can anyone give me a link to i see it with my own eyes? rugby news is getting more and more depressing
Why? Why not?
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Is this official? Very bad news and symptomatic of 2 coaches' failure!!
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

for dog and ulcer wrote:Is this official? Very bad news and symptomatic of 2 coaches' failure!!
how so exactly!?!?!? how is it "systematic of two coaches' failure" to flog a player (overrated in my opinion) to a team (with greater ambition than us) who i would imagine paid top dollar to an otherwise cash strapped organisation (us again) and of course best himself. it was always on the cards. as talismanic as he was he didn't exactly set the world alight during the latter half of the season... and his big smash approach was soon dealt with by the oppo. good luck to him and get over yourselves. he will improve with the biarrots more so than he could with ulster

Ithryn wrote:rugby news is getting more and more depressing
ross, i can fix that... get down the emirates with me on saturday and watch how a winning team does it... :wink:
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Agreed Jamesie.
I think we have enough options in the back row. Neil was not as outstanding last season as he had over the previous 2 or 3. He obviously feels, that he's not getting a fair crack at the international side either, and if he wants to move on for a new challenge then I wish him all the best.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
Shafted

Post by Shafted »

leaving for a higher paid job at a much better company...we'd all do the same. good luck to him!
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

still want to see proof as he is perhaps my favourite player at ulster.

would also be curious that if he plays well and his team make good progress whether he will be considered for ireland selection
Why? Why not?
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

Ithryn wrote:would also be curious that if he plays well and his team make good progress whether he will be considered for ireland selection
good question is that... precedent would suggest that leaving the 4 provinces doesn't strengthen one's chances at all (i.e. brennan, casey, bish etc.)
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I would think that after the way he has been treated by EOS he doesn't give 2 flying fecks about playing for Ireland
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

can't blame him if it's true.

Bigger club, better money, more opportunity.....

While playing abroad doesn't traditionally help a player's chances with the Ireland team, he has probably realised that it isn't worth turning down a good offer just to hold tackle bags and get splinters in his ass with EOS.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

easterbunny has an untouchable place, a certain man at leicester has done ok too.

also notice how neil best is not listed on biarritz squad list
http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/RugbyEffectifClub6.html
Why? Why not?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I also noticed he has been absent from training at the Ulster camp since his return from World Cup.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”