Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Post by the original kimble »

CT,

I understand that the government has spent £3m so far in fees to get us thus far. I find this surprising, given that there has yet to be a firm decision to proceed. Further, the lack of transparency regarding a business case, and the opposition within the DUP/UUP, suggests that approval may not be forthcoming.

I also understand that three construction consortia were selected some time ago to submit bids to build the stadium. I also believe that one of them pulled out last week. I have tried to establish the terms of the bid, but that too seems to be under wraps.

Given the current state of affairs it seems there are too many carts getting too far ahead of the horse.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.
Anyway, the only difference between me and a madman is I’m not mad….I think…

www.ursc.co
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

the original kimble wrote: Given the current state of affairs it seems there are too many carts getting too far ahead of the horse.
Surely you meant ass :?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It is a crazy situation if as you say £3million has been spent on plans etc yet no business case or firm decision to go ahead with the stadium has been made, talk about doing thing Brennan about face :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

The £3m is not a rumour - it was quoted on the lunch time BBC news - I think it may have been McNarry.

That would probably include money to PWC for the sums......they don't come cheap.

tok
It's more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

www.ursc.co
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I have been surveyed by PWC several times and the questions usually are skewed to make whatever they are doing get the right :wink: result for civil servants, they made the fatal mistake of surveying me on something I was involved with. I did question their integrity but got a very sharp answer in response, I will not be surprised when they "prove" that the stadium is economic and sustainable, they get a lot of money in fees from the big house on the hill.
Rory Best
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

the fact is that it will always be possible to make the figures work what ever way you want. It's the politics that will scupper this project, not the economics.
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS
the original kimble
Warrior Chief

Gerry,

Got it in one. The correct decision for the wrong reason. I'll live with that.

tok

www.ursc.co
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Re: Maze stadium plan 'moves closer'

Post by Cockatrice »

was reading the PWC report albeit from 2005 (has it been revised) and noted the following:

Given the response from Ulster Rugby fans to a new proposed stadium, the current position of Ulster Rugby is for League games to stay at Ravenhill, but for European matches to be hosted at the new stadium on the basis that greater relative upside could be achieved in this way given that there are no capacity constraints and premium facilities will be available at the new stadium.

When did Ulster Rugby fans give that response?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Re:

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

the original kimble wrote:CT,

I understand that the government has spent £3m so far in fees to get us thus far. I find this surprising, given that there has yet to be a firm decision to proceed. tok
Whether or not the Maze site is used for a national stadium it still needs to be flattened, remediated, and basically sorted out no matter what the final use is and this could easily cost in the region of £3m. Personally I can't see the national stadium going ahead, they could probably turn a better profit by selling it to developers.
Really?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re:

Post by pwrmoore »

LETS_GO_ULSTER wrote: they could probably turn a better profit by selling it to developers.
Probably not. Some of the solicitors and lawyers around here can probably furnish us with details but the Maze is a former WW2 Airfield and the lands were probably sequestered by the government from the original owners. If this is the case then as I understand it the government can continue to use them but they cannot sell them except back to the original owners at the price paid during the War.

So the only people who can make a fortune out of selling the Maze would be the descendents of the original ownrers.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re:

Post by Rooster »

pwrmoore wrote:
LETS_GO_ULSTER wrote: they could probably turn a better profit by selling it to developers.
Probably not. Some of the solicitors and lawyers around here can probably furnish us with details but the Maze is a former WW2 Airfield and the lands were probably sequestered by the government from the original owners. If this is the case then as I understand it the government can continue to use them but they cannot sell them except back to the original owners at the price paid during the War.

So the only people who can make a fortune out of selling the Maze would be the descendents of the original ownrers.
That would be my view based on similar deals within the past few years in England, not sure if law here is the same though do know of one closed military installation built in seventies on land under compulsory purchase and it has been returned in original condition for same value as it was bought for.
Makes you wonder at times if Mr Wingnut has any relatives in the area :?
Rory Best
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

fair enough, however my main point was that the £3m being invested on the site doesn't necesarily mean it will be used for a National Stadium.
Really?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

rooster- I think the sooner someone gets to the bottom of wingnut's family connections the better :wink:

However if I can go back again to my last point I have serious reservations as to why the PWC Business Plan on the Maze trys to give the impression that Ulster Rugby fans are in some way behind playing European Cup matches at the Maze.
Given the response from Ulster Rugby fans to a new proposed stadium, the current position of Ulster Rugby is for League games to stay at Ravenhill, but for European matches to be hosted at the new stadium on the basis that greater relative upside could be achieved in this way given that there are no capacity constraints and premium facilities will be available at the new stadium.
Does anyone ever recall being asked? where did this supposed information come from? as I for one feel that we have been being misrepresented and that others are being misled. I suspect careful use of a comma and a bit of spin is at play.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

The story I'm being told is that Peter Robinson does not want a stadium at the Maze and will not pay for it. Pootsy will be left to swing in the wind. Forget the Chuckle Bros, Robbo is the man who runs NI these days and if he doesn't want it he can block it just like that.
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
GerryO'
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by GerryO' »

Robbo has been the man for some time. He's the brains behind the DUP and the de facto leader. He will be the new leader when Ian finally gets squeezed out; so no DUP MLA with any wit will want to lock antlers with him. (the 'any wit' prerequisite excludes Wingnut)
THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS