What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by kingofthehill »

mea97mb wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm
drumquinandy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:50 pm Pieter Steph du Toit. World class 7. That would be enough to win silverware.
He's a blindside.
Wrong actually, there is no such thing as open/blindside in SA as they play left/right. So sometimes he will be playing openside and others blind during the same match.

Would love PSDT but lets face it, its not happening.
Scott Penny is the man.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mea97mb wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:39 pm
Snipe Watson wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm
drumquinandy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:50 pm Pieter Steph du Toit. World class 7. That would be enough to win silverware.
He's a blindside.
Wrong actually, there is no such thing as open/blindside in SA as they play left/right. So sometimes he will be playing openside and others blind during the same match.
If he was playing for Ulster he'd be a traditional 6 not a 7 as it's understood in this part of the world.
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Only thing we need is more depth. If Jordi/McGrath stay then only tinkering is needed. If we could persuade one of Doris/Deegan/Conan to come North, could allow Marcell to push out to 6 with Jordi at 7. This would give us a fantastic backrow. Really like the way Matty Rea has come on but do feel another 6/8 could really push us forward.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Backs
- most urgent need is a back up 9 of a better standard.
- other key area is for Dan to determine who is the back up to Burns and give them plenty of exposure. Burns has played well this season but he is becoming indispensable for the wrong reasons (ie there is no-one else) rather than because he is so good. Lowry or BJ seem the likely options although Curtis has also had a crack. Dan also needs to decide what to do with Lowry.

Forwards
- great to see EOS and ToT coming through but we are 1 prop away from disaster and if that prop is Marty Moore then we really are screwed. I guess big Gareth may be the answer when fit but we don’t know yet. Depth beyond first 2 sets is worrying poor and seem to be regressing (McCall, Kane).
- we have personnel at lock but i don’t really see anyone coming through. Tredders is still quite young and has potential. AOC will never be top grade IMHO.
- as others have said we have a decent backrow and building a bit of depth but still need more.

Overall, i’d like to see a lock/backrower (ie versatile enough for both) and another 9 come in.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Milasinovich is not going to be the answer to our dearth of quality props.
He's IQ and decent, that's how he got the gig.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 am Backs
- other key area is for Dan to determine who is the back up to Burns and give them plenty of exposure. Burns has played well this season but he is becoming indispensable for the wrong reasons (ie there is no-one else) rather than because he is so good. Lowry or BJ seem the likely options although Curtis has also had a crack. Dan also needs to decide what to do with Lowry.

Forwards
- great to see EOS and ToT coming through but we are 1 prop away from disaster and if that prop is Marty Moore then we really are screwed. I guess big Gareth may be the answer when fit but we don’t know yet. Depth beyond first 2 sets is worrying poor and seem to be regressing (McCall, Kane).
- we have personnel at lock but i don’t really see anyone coming through. Tredders is still quite young and has potential. AOC will never be top grade IMHO.
- as others have said we have a decent backrow and building a bit of depth but still need more.

Overall, i’d like to see a lock/backrower (ie versatile enough for both) and another 9 come in.
Agree, I personally think that Lowry is the man but i fear he will be moved about too much as he is so talented.

Treadwell is young. Dalton seems to have gone backwards. AOC is decent. Haven't really formed an opinion on Carter yet. Think we are ok in 2nd row for another year.

McCann and Allison will hopefully get game time next year in the backrow.

To be fair, McFarland and team have excelled when some offered nothing. I have total faith that they will get decisions right that others have got horribly wrong in the past.

I would think we will hear of more contract extensions before any new signings.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Hopefully it won't be a case of panic setting in after we see what happens when Cooney isn't around.

Shanners simply has to do the business this month - he'll be behind a decent pack against poor travellers from SA and teams weakened by the 6N.

Burns hasn't done at all badly off the tee so far but he'll need to stand up in game management terms. It's a good opportunity for him.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 am - great to see EOS and ToT coming through but we are 1 prop away from disaster and if that prop is Marty Moore then we really are screwed. I guess big Gareth may be the answer when fit but we don’t know yet. Depth beyond first 2 sets is worrying poor and seem to be regressing (McCall, Kane).
yes this is a good shout - there have been a few games this season where our scrum has gone from being solid to getting absolutely wrecked when the subs come on. It's odd because I've been impressed in the past couple of seasons by how it has held up with the likes of McCall, Warwick, Kane coming in, but like you say there seems to be a regression. In time I'd say we'll be ok with the likes of EOS, TOT, Reid coming on, but it would be nice to have a solid Stephen Archer-type 3 to come on. I guess that was Milasinovich's role, time will tell if he's the right guy (actually would have been good to have had Herbst for another season)
..one more thing
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

If Sorries are having a car boot sale, could we pick up a bargain or two? Any local lads who might fancy coming back home? Or anyone else who might like a two or three year working holiday in the lovely Ulster countryside.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:49 pm
Scott Penny is the man.
Done deal?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm
Scott Penny is the man.
Done deal?
Would love it to be.

A little bit young?
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Forwards

On the 9 side of things- with Lewis Finlay looking very good for the U20's, Nathan Doak coming through and McKee as well I'd rather we fast tracked a couple of these lads in rather than getting someone from outside. If there was no-one to promote then fair enough but these guys deserve a shot. Has Shanahan still got a year or so on his contract? That would give McFarland space to see how these lads go while still having a back up with a bit of experience..
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm
Scott Penny is the man.
Done deal?
Would love it to be.

A little bit young?
If you're good enough you're old enough. He's an exciting talent.

I've seen enough of Allison and McCann to think both will make it.

Reuben Cruthers is a name I think we will hear more of in the next 18 months.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The press down Mexico way linking Scott Penny with a move out West to Connacht.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Silverstu wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:25 am

Forwards

On the 9 side of things- with Lewis Finlay looking very good for the U20's, Nathan Doak coming through and McKee as well I'd rather we fast tracked a couple of these lads in rather than getting someone from outside. If there was no-one to promote then fair enough but these guys deserve a shot. Has Shanahan still got a year or so on his contract? That would give McFarland space to see how these lads go while still having a back up with a bit of experience..
Think it says it all that Shanners is on the pitch for 80mins.

Ulster have to sign a 9.

Stewart ahead of O’Donnell was an appalling decision. Finlay left Hinch last year because he couldn’t lace o’Donnells boots so you can write off Finlay being good enough. Doak could be the answer but a few years off yet.

So what 9s are available?