So much for no NIQ 10's in Ireland (excluding Connacht)

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: So much for no NIQ 10's in Ireland (excluding Connacht)

Post by Neil F »

ruckover wrote:If he's a back-up 10 then there should be no problem. But if it's somebody there to start then I don't think the IRFU would let it happen considering Madigan is one of the players pushing for the Irish 10 jersey.
Why? To be honest, if Madigan is going to be good enough for international rugby, he needs to be good enough to fend off a player of the quality Leinster are bringing in. If he can't get the shirt ahead of Gopparth, he should be nowhere near the international set up. If Madigan can't displace such a player, only Madigan will be responsible for curtailing his international prospects, not Leinster's transfer or selection policy.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Must say that is a pi$h poor waste of a NIQ spot
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

If agree with you there Rooster, a new Tighthead is needed down south :lol:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Rooster wrote:Must say that is a pi$h poor waste of a NIQ spot
Is he an NIQ, though, Rooster? He has a cap for the Junior All Blacks but were they / are they New Zealand's elected "second" stream international side? Do Leinster currently have a project player? Might not be an NIQ spot after all.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Neil F wrote:
Is he an NIQ, though, Rooster? He has a cap for the Junior All Blacks but were they / are they New Zealand's elected "second" stream international side? Do Leinster currently have a project player? Might not be an NIQ spot after all.
A 29 year old project player :shock: can't see the IRFU buying that one irrespective of who or what was the NZ second team at the time he got his 1 cap.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Fairly sure the JABs cap counts as tying him, and likewise fairly sure Leinster have named Quinn Roux as their new project player and given him another two years - or at least planning to.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Neil F wrote:
His one cap for the Baby Black does disqualify him. The rules state that once capped for a national side; one level below (which the Baby Blacks are); or Sevens then you cannot switch.
Hope is not a strategy.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Mulligan tweeted that for the money Leinster are paying for him he reckons he's more than just back up. I've heard that from a friend in Dublin too.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

If they are paying him a fortune, I find it hard to believe they are thinking of him as back up, if they aren't it is tough on Madigan, especially as Gopperth is ....................... lets say ordinary.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Could this a signal for a decline in quality NIQ players coming to Leinster?

All good things must come to an end and it seems that Leinster arent going to be the force they once were now Cullen and BOD are retiring, and with them only playing ACC for this season it may be hard for them to attract big name players. Just a thought....
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

breakdown wrote:Could this a signal for a decline in quality NIQ players coming to Leinster?
Even worse it could signal the quality of NIQ player being hired by all the provinces under new rulings
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
breakdown wrote:Could this a signal for a decline in quality NIQ players coming to Leinster?
Even worse it could signal the quality of NIQ player being hired by all the provinces under new rulings
Are the new rulings being adhered to?
A wise old head told me at the time that the Wigglesworth proclamation would be wound back, once the dust settled and that is why rumours of a provincial revolt seemed to disappear to be replaced with "there is no issue".