Ulster sides in UBL

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster sides in UBL

Post by Snipe Watson »

Neill_M wrote:Omagh beat Ballina in Mayo Sat. If they beat Clonmel, will join Bangor in 2C next season.
Possibly the worst thing that could happen to them.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:Banbridge trashed Queens yesterday

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Would you put just some or all of the success Banbridge have had down to Soper?

#SoperForUlster
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

#SoperForUlster
Porter & Michael Cromie have been a big influences

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

#SoperForUlster

It will be interesting to see what players the branch allocate to Banbridge for next season.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Russ wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

#SoperForUlster

It will be interesting to see what players the branch allocate to Banbridge for next season.
Is Rory not assigned there already?

solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I haven't followed the UBL at all really so forgive me for an innocent question. Is there any reason why we have no teams in the top division and only two in the second? Are Ulster teams simply not very good or is there another, less depressing, reason?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

And while I'm on, what is the four team round robin thing?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

solidarity wrote:I haven't followed the UBL at all really so forgive me for an innocent question. Is there any reason why we have no teams in the top division and only two in the second? Are Ulster teams simply not very good or is there another, less depressing, reason?
Money is a bigger issue than not being very good, Round Robin, is 4 provisional Junior/qualifying winners play each other, winning team replaces relegated team from 2c and runner up plays against best second bottom in 2c at their ground winner gets a place in UBL
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
solidarity wrote:I haven't followed the UBL at all really so forgive me for an innocent question. Is there any reason why we have no teams in the top division and only two in the second? Are Ulster teams simply not very good or is there another, less depressing, reason?
Money is a bigger issue than not being very good, Round Robin, is 4 provisional Junior/qualifying winners play each other, winning team replaces relegated team from 2c and runner up plays against best second bottom in 2c at their ground winner gets a place in UBL
Certainly it takes ''money'' to compete effectively in the All Ireland League but the under representation of Ulster clubs in the higher echelons of the AIL is primarily due to the lack of sufficient good quality players in Ulster. We are way behind Leinster and Munster in producing and retaining quality players ...even Connacht has now got a club into AIL 1A
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Omagh hosting Clonmel on Sat. Winner will play Boyne/Kanturk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Tighty wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
Certainly it takes ''money'' to compete effectively in the All Ireland League but the under representation of Ulster clubs in the higher echelons of the AIL is primarily due to the lack of sufficient good quality players in Ulster. We are way behind Leinster and Munster in producing and retaining quality players ...even Connacht has now got a club into AIL 1A

Tightly , totally disagree, forget Buccaneers for a minute and let's see how they compete next year, 1a had 8 Dublin clubs out of ten, all big money spent as they have a massive input money wise , clubs in ulster can only dream of the amount they get, the majority of them would beat our teams with their ulster players playing,

Retaining players, bit of a red herring, it's nothing to do with retaining players, we just don't have them, end of, Look at the teams that can't put a 2nd XV out,Quins, Rainey, COD, etc last season COD also wanted to fold their three, this season Quins asked to "withdraw" their 2nds, Ards and inst in Junior rugby with Ards playing in q2 next year were they will struggle, despite what Logan says, adult numbers are decreasing at an alarming rate, it also does not help that Dublin area has a significantly larger playing base due to population

We are producing good players , but you cannot compare it to Leinster and Munster as they have larger playing bases.

It takes time to produce players, it would appear the staff in the academy is finally settled , so judge them after they have had 3-5 years in charge, you can't judge them now, as they had no input 2-5 years ago .

Buccaneers , more money than you could shake a big money thing at.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Whichever of you guys is right, it's still pretty depressing. Either we're not producing the players or we don't have the money to provide facilities to support them or they don't have the enthusiasm to keep playing rugby.
Why?
Where did it all go wrong?
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

solidarity wrote:Whichever of you guys is right, it's still pretty depressing. Either we're not producing the players or we don't have the money to provide facilities to support them or they don't have the enthusiasm to keep playing rugby.
Why?
Where did it all go wrong?
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
Tighty wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:

Tightly , totally disagree, forget Buccaneers for a minute and let's see how they compete next year, 1a had 8 Dublin clubs out of ten, all big money spent as they have a massive input money wise , clubs in ulster can only dream of the amount they get, the majority of them would beat our teams with their ulster players playing,

Retaining players, bit of a red herring, it's nothing to do with retaining players, we just don't have them, end of, Look at the teams that can't put a 2nd XV out,Quins, Rainey, COD, etc last season COD also wanted to fold their three, this season Quins asked to "withdraw" their 2nds, Ards and inst in Junior rugby with Ards playing in q2 next year were they will struggle, despite what Logan says, adult numbers are decreasing at an alarming rate, it also does not help that Dublin area has a significantly larger playing base due to population

We are producing good players , but you cannot compare it to Leinster and Munster as they have larger playing bases.

It takes time to produce players, it would appear the staff in the academy is finally settled , so judge them after they have had 3-5 years in charge, you can't judge them now, as they had no input 2-5 years ago .

Buccaneers , more money than you could shake a big money thing at.
Gerald

Forgive me for being pedantic here but AIL 1A currenty has 7 , and not 8, clubs from Dublin and 3 from Munster . The top 4 is comprised of 2 from Dublin ,1 Cork and 1 from Limerick. The final placing for the play-off places will be decided next week

Secondly , I refer you to my previous post where I state , 'the under representation of Ulster clubs in the higher echelons of the AIL is primarily due to the lack of sufficient good quality players in Ulster' . ie I agree with you that there is a lack of quality players in Ulster. A club can have limitless cash resources but there has to be players of sufficient quality to entice to the club. Incidentally, over the years in the AIL and indeed in Qualifying Leagues, there has been some serious money wasted on average / poor players and coaches

Thirdly , I hope I'm wrong , but I would not have the same confidence as you in the current Academy staff producing quality players.

I also agree that the numbers of adults males playing club rugby has declined and anyone who attempts to disguise this by using player growth in other areas is guilty of sophistry
ormondlad
Novice

Post by ormondlad »

1A is comprised of 7 Dublin sides, 2 Limerick and 1 Cork. Top4 will be 2 Dublin, 1 Cork and 1 Limerick,
How do you change Ulster clubs competing in AIL? They never have. There has been serious money wasted on average/poor players/coaches in all provinces.
Buccaneers are doing well in 1A. Certainly dont have tonnes of money to throw around.