Cross Community Rugby

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Re: Cross Community Rugby

Post by MightyRearranger »

I think there's a bit of an over-reaction to this in general, I don't seen any insinuation in the article that rugby isn't a cross-community sport. It looks like there was a project to get spides from both sides of the divide working together for a few weeks in the hope they'll be less inclined to kick each others heads in after. I suspect the fact that rugby was chosen as the medium was pretty arbitrary, there'll no doubt be similar initiatives where they play other sports as well.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

MightyRearranger wrote:I think there's a bit of an over-reaction to this in general, I don't seen any insinuation in the article that rugby isn't a cross-community sport. It looks like there was a project to get spides from both sides of the divide working together for a few weeks in the hope they'll be less inclined to kick each others heads in after. I suspect the fact that rugby was chosen as the medium was pretty arbitrary, there'll no doubt be similar initiatives where they play other sports as well.
I'm with you Mighty, I don't see the harm in this and don't understand why folk are offended by this.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

In my mind cross community is spides
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

MightyRearranger wrote:I think there's a bit of an over-reaction to this in general, I don't seen any insinuation in the article that rugby isn't a cross-community sport. It looks like there was a project to get spides from both sides of the divide working together for a few weeks in the hope they'll be less inclined to kick each others heads in after. I suspect the fact that rugby was chosen as the medium was pretty arbitrary, there'll no doubt be similar initiatives where they play other sports as well.
Disagree, they are the ones over reacting with the "Cross Community Rugby" all part of the KPIs the Col has to keep, as well as the sports Minister, its a bit like the CRO who works in Nationalist/ Non traditional Rugby areas areas. no rugby pitches and he/she is not allowed to bring them out of their own areas to play, so no cross community rugby there , its a news story to put a warm glow into someone and tick his KPI box.

Its worded to sell something it is not :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Disagree, they are the ones over reacting with the "Cross Community Rugby" all part of the KPIs the Col has to keep, as well as the sports Minister, its a bit like the CRO who works in Nationalist/ Non traditional Rugby areas areas. no rugby pitches and he/she is not allowed to bring them out of their own areas to play, so no cross community rugby there , its a news story to put a warm glow into someone and tick his KPI box.

Its worded to sell something it is not :roll:
So we have rugby being coached by UR in West Belfast to one side of the community to the exclusion of all others? didn't they try that somewhere else...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Unless I am mistaken and read the story wrong UR entitled the article…. 'NEWLY FORMED CROSS COMMUNITY TEAM TACKLES MALONE' which in my mind is the spin they are putting on it. Christ if this catches on both sides of the divide will be playing football next for Northern Ireland and even some teams in the Irish League may have players from 'both sides' of the community.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

solidarity wrote: Similarly, so long as secondary schools don't play much rugby, it will always look a bit middle class, but I and many of the guys I played with were from very ordinary backgrounds.
I think the numerous references on this thread to the people described as taking part as 'spides' and 'riff-raff' make rugby fans look a bit middle class.

But hey, they're unemployed because they're lazy benefits scroungers, right?

Thatcherism alive and well on UAFC.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

OneMore wrote:
solidarity wrote: Similarly, so long as secondary schools don't play much rugby, it will always look a bit middle class, but I and many of the guys I played with were from very ordinary backgrounds.
I think the numerous references on this thread to the people described as taking part as 'spides' and 'riff-raff' make rugby fans look a bit middle class.

But hey, they're unemployed because they're lazy benefits scroungers, right?

Thatcherism alive and well on UAFC.
You don't have to be a spide to be a scrounger but it sure helps
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Just maybe some of it was tongue in cheek. I know that often translates poorly on social media.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Wasn't Sean Fitzpatrick over recently in West Belfast with the Laureus foundation?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Deraless wrote:Just maybe some of it was tongue in cheek. I know that often translates poorly on social media.
I guess it translates like tongue-in-cheek racism, but granted our Daily Mail-fed middle classes find this sort of class stereotyping entirely acceptable.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I was actually poking fun at the Ulster rugby values nonesense. I'm hardly in a position to take the pish having been brought up in a "working class"/interface area.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Deraless wrote:I sincerely hope that the Ulster Rugby Values are beat into this riff-raff like the catechism.
It sounded a lot like you were referring to the guys involved here as 'this riff-raff'.

Citing your own background as a defence sounds a lot like 'one of my best friends is black'.

Look grand, we all say things we don't mean, or things we wish we hadn't. Just don't go trying to defend the position.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

It was a joke (otherwise I would appear to be condoning the beating of people (which I don't)).
You didn't get it.
That's fine.
It was actually taking the mick outta up themselves middle class people but I admit it was subtle.
I didn't say I wished I hadn't said it.
Thatcherism lol
I don't have any black friends but maybe I am?
Are you citing on the brain?